Sofia Airport (SOF/LBSF)
New routes and frequency possibilities and why these routes would work
Sofia Airport is looking for these new partnerships
|Short & Medium Haul Opportunities|
|Scandinavian Region – Stockholm, Oslo, Helsinki|
|Baltic Region – Riga|
|Southern France – Lyon, Nice|
|Southern Germany – Stuttgart|
|Gulf Area (for connecting opportunities)|
|Asia – Beijing, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Singapore, Tokyo, Seoul|
|USA – New York, Chicago, Washington|
Other major reasons to serve this airport
- Sofia is the capital and main city of the Republic of Bulgaria which became an EU member in January 2007
- Four of the total 10 Pan-European transport corridors cross the country and connect it with the rest of the region
- The population of Bulgaria is 7.7 million people – about 2 million live in Sofia
- 5.2 million foreign tourists visit Bulgaria annually for sea, skiing, SPA and other leisure purposes (+4%)
- Sofia is a commercial, cultural, transport and university centre, with well developed facilities for business, investments and tourism
- It is one of the greenest capital cities in Europe, known for its surrounding therapeutic mineral springs and, nowadays, the opportunities for sport and entertainment
- Sofia Airport is an open door 24/7, 365 days to a country with an ancient culture, great history, unique traditions, natural wonders and friendly people
- It is the largest airport in Bulgaria with over 70 years of experience, modernised infrastructure and a well-developed network of year-round scheduled services to over 40 destinations
- The two-fold passenger traffic growth in just four years ranked Sofia Airport among the fastest developing airports in Europe
- The attractive marketing environment includes low operational costs and a wide choice of airport slots and service providers
- Since 25 January 2012 the holders of valid Schengen visas are able to visit and stay in Bulgaria without Bulgarian visas
Marketing and other support
Sofia Airport – low cost airport charges
The total amount to be paid for landing, parking, passenger and other airport charges (excl. ground handling) at Sofia Airport for a typical A320 aircraft type is €2,290 for a short turnaround on a contact stand (with airbridge) – a saving of about €690 per flight compared with average airport costs in the region.
Sofia Airport also actively supports airlines which open new routes or increase capacity on already existing ones:
- Market analysis – passenger and cargo flows
- Strategic partnership offered – business associations, tourist organisations, sales agencies
- Co-branded promotional campaigns
- Free-of-charge advertisement on Sofia Airport website and within the airport premises
- Media information tours
Sofia is a gateway to the EU common market, conveniently located on its eastern border. The airport is also at a close distance to other Balkan capitals and large cities: Skopje – 240 km, Thessaloniki – 300 km, Belgrade – 395 km, Bucharest – 400 km, Tirana – 535 km. Sofia Airport is the main international airport in Bulgaria, which offers year-round direct flights to more than 40 destinations – 26 of them with daily frequencies. This gives Sofia Airport strength to attract passengers from a population of over 16 million citizens.
Under-served freight opportunities and other economic impact factors
- The close geographical location of Sofia creates opportunities for transfer of goods between continents
- This advantage has been noticed by many world-known forwarders who have invested in a logistics park in the vicinity of Sofia Airport
- All necessary storage and handling facilities are available at the airport provided by a good choice of suppliers
- Among the leading foreign companies represented on the Bulgarian market are Mitsubishi Heavy industries, HYUNDAI, Johnson Controls, Microsoft, Hewlett Packard, IBM, KRAFT FOODS, Nestle.
- Located in the eastern side of the capital, 10 km from the city centre
- Convenient public transport
- Subway extension in progress
- Easy access to the main country motor highways
Infrastructure & Operations
- Runway: One runway (3,600 m x 45 m); Cat III A
- Apron: 31 remote aircraft stands and seven contact stands
- Slot Coordinated Airport – Level 2
- Operating hours: 24/7; (scheduled flights restricted between 23:00-06:00)
- Terminals: Two terminals with total annual capacity of 4.4 million
- Terminal 1: dedicated for Low-cost & charter carriers
Capacity: 1.8 million
Area: 9,300 sq.m
18 check-in desks, seven bus gates, two baggage claim carousels, full retail and service offered and parking for 400 cars in close proximity to the terminal.
- Terminal 2: dedicated to full service carriers
Capacity: 2.6 million
Area 56, 500 sq. m
34 check-in desks, seven boarding bridge gates, four bus gates, four baggage claim carousels, full retail and service offered including multi-storey parking for 850 cars.
- Terminal 1: dedicated for Low-cost & charter carriers
- Liberalised ground handling market
- SOFIA AIRPORT EAD offers full service – passengers, baggage, ramp, cargo and mail
Standards and certificates
Quality and environmental management certificates
In the last week of May 2012, Sofia Airport was certified in accordance with the requirements of the International Organization for Standardization (ISO), receiving certificates for two standards: ISO 9001:2008 (Quality Management) and ISO 14001:2004 (Environmental Management). The Certificates are valid for three years and cover all activities performed by Sofia Airport as airport operator in compliance with the CAA Act, inclusive of other activities carried out by the airport company, such as ground handling, commercial activities, rental of terrains, premises, facilities and other capital assets.
The development, implementation and certification of the Quality and Environmental Management System as per ISO 9001:2008 and ISO 14001:2004 have been funded by the European Union under the Operational Programme “Competitiveness”. The successful project completion, re-affirmed by the certification audit performed by RINA Group (an Italian company with offices in 42 countries and 150 years of experience in the sphere of market valuation, control, certification and research), is an outcome of the joint efforts of the consultant team and the project management team of Sofia Airport.
The implementation of the Quality and Environmental Management System in compliance with the requirements of ISO 9001:2008 and ISO 14001:2004, proves that all activities carried out by Sofia Airport are directed towards an effective resource management and incessant service quality improvement, focused on meeting the requirements of the end user. The latest tendencies underlying ISO 14001:2004 promote implementation of an integrated management model, which means that requirements are related not only to service provision, aimed at environmental protection, but also to adequate work conditions and ethics.
The pursuit and application of these two standards, as a managerial position in respect of Sofia Airport, is a continuation of the policy of the airport company - a responsible and professionally prominent business entity - whose activity is dedicated to meeting the needs of the serviced community.
Traffic statistics back to 2006 and marketing information for leading airlines and the most popular routes at Sofia Airport can be seen here