Shanghai Pudong International Airport (PVG/ZSPD)
New routes and frequency possibilities and why these routes would work
|Cairo, Johannesburg, Alger, Nairobi|
|Huge O&D market size, growing tourist market, close economic and trade relationship. Trade volume up 231% since 2006.|
|Madrid, Barcelona, Athens, Lisbon|
|Huge O&D market size, growing tourist and overseas student market, potential transfer opportunities to South America. Trade volume up by 173% since 2006.|
|Washington DC, Boston, Las Vegas, Miami, Seattle|
|Huge O&D market size, growing tourist and overseas student market, close economic and trade link. Trade volume up by 148% since 2006.|
|San Paulo, Buenos Aires|
|Huge O&D market size, growing tourist market, close economic and trade relationship. Trade volume up by 283% since 2006 and growing.|
|Perth, Cairns, Brisbane|
|Huge O&D market size, growing tourist and overseas student market. Trade volume up by 217% since 2006.|
Other major reasons to serve this airport
- Shanghai is China’s most important port city and large international financial, economic, trade and transportation centre
- GDP in 2011: RMB 1,920 billion ($300 billion).
- Economic value of import and export via Shanghai port equaled $812.3 billion in 2011.
- By the end of 2011, companies from 151 countries have directly invested in almost 64,000 projects with the total contract amount of $1,200 billion.
- 353 multinational regional headquarters, 240 investment companies, and 334 foreign R&D centers have settled in Shanghai.
- Located in Yangtze River Delta, the most developed region in China with:
- Land coverage: 1%
- Population: 5.8%
- GDP: 17.6%
- Export value: 37.6%
- Shanghai is the intersection of the east coastal economic belt and the Yangtze River economic belt. It takes about 10 hours to fly from Shanghai to Europe or the west coast of North America.
- The following can be reached from Shanghai within two hours:
- 80% of top 100 national big cities
- 54% of Chinese territory
- 90% of national population
- 93% of national GDP producing area
- Majority of Japan and South Korea's territories
Marketing and other support
- Marketing support: Available to airlines operating scheduled flights between Shanghai and Africa with at least 12 months consecutive operation. Incentive will be enjoyed from the second year in the form of rebate.
- Inaugural ceremony on new air route will be supported by the airport
- Tailored reportage in airport magazine
|First 6 months||Month 7-12||Second year|
|Landing fee||50% off||25% off||–|
|Landing fee surcharges||free||free||50% off|
- 30 min catchment area: Pudong - New Area of Shanghai
- 60 min catchment area: downtown Shanghai
- 120 min catchment area: Suzhou, Kunshan, Wuxi, Hangzhou, Nantong
Under-served freight opportunities and other economic impact factors
- The radius of 300km from Shanghai covers 8 major industrial parks or hi-tech parks. Dominant industries such as pharmaceuticals, automobile, textile and hi-tech electronics highly rely on air transport.
- Pudong International Airport is located on the east of Shanghai 30km from downtown
- The subway line 2 links PVG directly to CBD and downtown; the maglev and buses connect the airport with most of the city.
|Choices for passengers||Time to downtown|
|Subway (Line 2)||60 mins|
|Maglev||8 mins to Longyang road|
|Shuttle bus||45 mins|
Infrastructure & Operations:
- 1st runway 4000/60m
- 2nd runway 3800/60m
- 3rd runway 3400/60m
- Operating hours: 24 hours
- T1 278,000m2
- T2 485,500m2
Other relevant Infrastructure & Operations details:
- Parking Stands: 218 (70 boarding bridges; 65 remote stands; 58 freight stands; 25 maintenances stands)
- Check-in counters: 544
- ILS: Cat Ⅱ
Important infrastructure developments and/or other news
- T1 will be under refurbishment from the end of 2012 to 2014.
- Planning to build 2 satellite terminals S1 and S2 to facilitate passenger throughput of 80 million per year.
- Passenger numbers: 41.4 million
- Freight: 3.1 million
- Largest carrier: China Eastern
- Movements: 344,086
- The ratio of transfer passengers to the total: 7.72%, amongst which the proportion of 4 types of transferring services are:
- I-D & D-I: 54.1%
- I-I: 24.7%
- D-D: 21.2%