St. Petersburg International Pulkovo Airport (LED/ULLI)
New routes and frequency possibilities and why these routes would work
|Lisbon||Toronto||Ho Chi Minh|
|Reykjavik (coming soon)||Chicago||Shanghai|
|Cologne (coming soon)|
Other major reasons to serve this airport
- St. Petersburg is the 4th largest city in Europe (after London, Paris and Moscow) and the second largest - in Russia with population of 4.6m. It is the administrative centre of the North-West federal district (more than 12 mio people). St. Petersburg is a multifunctional centre: industrial, cultural, scientific, tourist, with the differential structure of the city economy. There are 800 cultural exhibitions, 150 festivals and contests (incl. 50 international), 40 city celebrations (festive occasions), 145 trade and economic exhibitions per year (in 2010).
- The only airport in St. Petersburg and the largest international airport in the North-West region of Russia.
- Located 15km from the city centre.
- Pulkovo Airport ranks 3rd among Russian airports (after DME and SVO). In 2011 Pulkovo Airport handled 9 610 767 passengers (+ 13.80 %).
- St. Petersburg is No. 7 in the Top European Destinations rating-2011: (Trip Advisor: Travelers' choice 2011). Nearly 6 000 000 tourists visited St. Petersburg in 2011 (+ 12%). It includes Cultural, Family, MICE, Events, Water, Sanatorium tourism. 45% of tourists in St. Petersburg are foreign visitors.
- In order to increase the Airport capacity and improve passenger service quality Northern Capital Gateway LLC realises the existing terminals modernisation. As a result, the number of check-in counters has been increased, the Pulkovo 1 waiting areas as well as the Pulkovo 2 check-in area have been expanded, new Lost and Found offices have been opened, self-registration service is implemented, the service program for passengers with limited mobility has been started, extra passport control counters have been opened at the Pulkovo 2 departure area and the transfer carriage system is being developed.
- St. Petersburg is a city with diverse and fast growing economy (in 2011 GRP + 4.3 %) and large number of multinational companies, including General Motors, Nissan, Toyota, Suzuki, Ford, Coca-Cola, Pepsi, Microsoft, Nestlé, Gillette, IBM, Philip Morris, BAT, JTI and others.
- Attractive city and region for investment (from 2004 to 2009 the volumes of foreign direct investment entering the economy of St. Petersburg increased by 11 times). In 2011 volume of foreign investments was USD 6 120.7 mil (+ 117 %).
- Venue for the St. Petersburg International Economic Forum and many other international events.
Marketing and other support
- Market information: statistics and market analysis on request.
- PR support: organisation of first flight event, inaugural flight ceremony organisation, press conferences and activities for press, passengers and VIPs, on-site advertising and promotion, promotion in the city together with Tourism authorities of St. Petersburg and North-West region of Russia (Russian Union of Travel Industry, etc.).
- Based on individual approach to every airline Airport aviation marketing team is always ready to assist on any request.
- Close co-operation with local Tourism Board, Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Offices of Economic Development, City government, development authorities and similar institutions.
- Airport marketing support: individual discount scheme for carriers starting regular flights to new destinations. Pulkovo airport has implemented an incentive program for airlines. Carriers operating scheduled passenger flights to/from Pulkovo airport may receive bonuses:
- For opening new destinations;
- For starting or recommencing flight operations to/from Pulkovo airport;
- For frequency increase on existing routes.
For more information you can click http://www.pulkovoairport.ru/eng/partners/airlines/ in Pulkovo Airport website.
The airport catchment area covers 9.6 million people including:
- Greater Saint Petersburg + region – 6.6 million
- Pskov + region – 0.6 million
- Novgorod + region – 0.6 million
- Petrozavodsk + region – 0.6 million
- Vologda + region –1.2 million
St. Petersburg's region catchment area is home to a population of around 9.6 million people. It reaches well into neighboring cities of Russian Federation as Pskov, Vologda, Novgorod, Petrozavodsk which are considered very popular historical and touristic parts of North-West district of Russia. Petrozavodsk is the capital of Karelia republic, with 65 % tourist growth every year. Pskov and Novgorod attract tourists as old historical centers.
|Absolute, km||St. Petersburg||Moscow|
Under-served freight opportunities and other economic impact factors
- Pulkovo Airport is located 15 km from the city centre and has highway connections as well as regular bus lines and taxi links to the city centre and metro stations. 15 minutes by public bus to the nearest metro station.
- LED is directly connected with city ring highway.
- It is planned to finish construction of the elevated express train from Pulkovo Airport to Baltic railway station (center of the city) in 2013. "Russian Railways" JSC and "Aeroexpress" are the main operators of this project.
- St. Petersburg is considered as the biggest sea port of North-West region of Russian Federation. Over the last 5 years the number of cruise tourists has increased by 1.5 times. Cruise tourism has the best index firstly due to opening the new sea passenger terminal and also due to right for passengers travelling by ferry visa-free stay in Russian Federation within 72 hours.
- In 2011 goods turnover of St. Petersburg sea port was 60 thousand tons (+ 3%). It processes 66% of the maritime trade of Russia.
Infrastructure & Operations:
- Two runways (3,780m and 3,397m):
- Certified to III ICAO Category
- Slots are non-coordinated
- 24 hours operations, the whole year round
- Two terminals, one domestic and international/charter with 1,800/hour capacity; the second is for international scheduled with 1,200/hour capacity.
- Terminal 1 – 27 including 17 contact gates
- Terminal 2 – 26 including 16 contact gates
- Fuel Suppliers: Sovex.
- Handling Agents: Pulkovo Airport, STC Rossiya Handling and Ground Services. Also other handling agents are available in Pulkovo Airport as options of different services (catering, aircraft cleaning etc.)
Airport development perspectives
Beginning April 29, 2010 Northern Capital Gateway LLC – the Pulkovo Airport Operator carries out major reconstruction of the Airport according to the Public-Private Partnership Agreement.
The airport will be developed step by step:
- Phase 1: 17 mln. passengers per year (approx. 2020)
- Phase 2: 25 mln. passengers per year (approx. 2030)
- Phase 3: 35 mln. passengers per year (approx. 2040)
The first phase of the Airport development is the construction of the main terminal building as well as the North Pier and Forecourt. The total area of terminals will be increased to 146, 600 square meters. The new terminal and the North Pear will be opened for passengers in the fourth quarter of 2013, the reconstructed Pulkovo 1 terminal – in June 2014.
- No. check in counters: 88 (+84%)
- No. gates: 28 (+75%)
- No. passenger bridges: 14 (+250%)
- No. passport control cabin: 108 (+237%)
- No. customs control channel: 15 (+50%)
New Pulkovo terminal entered the list of 100 best innovative projects aimed at improving urban infrastructures all over the world according to the KPMG Infrastructure 100: World Cities Edition.
- Total 2011 throughput 9.6 mil (+13.80%)
- 47 % domestic
- 43 % international
- 10 % CIS
- 71 regular airlines inc:
- 29 international airlines; 12 from CIS countries
- 30 domestic airlines.
- 148 regular destinations inc:
- 65 international, 29 from CIS countries
- 54 domestic.
- Flag carrier – JSC “Rossiya Airlines”, 39% of total St. Petersburg traffic, 84 regular destinations in 2011, inc.