Other major reasons to serve this airport
Qualities that make TIA an attractive destination for airlines include:
- Excellence in service provision: Our teams are coordinated perfectly to maximize efficiency and flexibility. Short turn-around times, rapid baggage delivery, well-trained personnel, etc., are just a few of the expectations that an airline demands and which TIA offers.
- Competitive incentive programme: TIA’s Airline Incentive Policy is a marketing instrument that is boosting traffic development at the Airport.
Tourism: For explanation of tourism opportunities, please refer to the following links:
Marketing and other support
TIA has adopted a policy of incentives for airlines to launch new routes and to increase frequencies of the existing routes to and from Tirana. The strong traffic development shows that this policy is being very successful.
Tirana International Airport the entire country (estimated population 3.2 million). Currently there is no second international airport in Albania. The airport is well situated in the middle of the country’s geographical position in the capital city of Albania, Tirana.
Under-served freight opportunities and other economic impact factors
Tirana International Airport Cargo Department is the leader in Albania for Cargo Handling, sales, shipping and logistics. Following the opening of the new Cargo terminal in 2007, this department has constantly demonstrated affordability and maintained its leading position in the industry. The department offers international standards and solutions to all carriers operating at Tirana.
The distance from Tirana (capital city) is 17 km and the airport can be reached by much-improved road.
Infrastructure & Operations:
- Runways (number and length): There is one runway and the length is 2,750 meters.
- Slot Coordinated?: No, the airport is not slot coordinated. Slot allocation TIA, in cooperation with the Civil Aviation Authority of Albania, offers flexibility in slot allocation.
- Operating hours: The Airport offers 24-hour operations, 7 days a week.
- One terminal with a capacity of 1.8 million passengers – newly opened in 2007.
Important infrastructure developments and/or other news
Projects implemented from 2005 to 2010:
- Construction of a new passenger terminal
- Construction of a new air cargo terminal
- Renovation and construction of the airport infrastructure
- New seven-kilometer access road and construction of a new bridge over the existing road
- New car parking area
- New perimeter road
- Waste-water treatment plant
- Terminal extension to allow min. 1.8 million passengers
- Airside equipment building and upgrade of fire station
- Apron extension
- Passenger numbers:
- Total passengers in 2011:1,817,073
- Freight carriage for 2011: 2.656 tons
- Largest carriers:
- Belleair, AirOne, Alitalia, Austrian Airlines