Other major reasons to serve this airport
Stuttgart Airport – The gateway to Southwest Germany
Stuttgart Airport is located right in the heart of Baden-Wuerttemberg, the third largest state in Germany. With its 3,345 m runway, four modern terminal buildings and its direct highway and train access, Stuttgart Airport provides everything an airport needs to handle all types of flight, from regional to intercontinental. In 2017, over 10.9 million passengers departed from or arrived at Stuttgart Airport.
Stuttgart is the capital city of Baden-Wuerttemberg. The modern and vibrant city offers a broad selection of ancient buildings as well as modern architecture, cultural highlights and high-class recreational facilities.
Third largest catchment area of all German airports
Over 10.7 million people live in the state of Baden-Wuerttemberg, of which 4.4 million live within a 45 minute radius around the airport (by car) and a further 3.6 million people within a 90 minute radius.
Strong economic power
Multinational companies such as Daimler (Mercedes Benz), Porsche, Bosch and Hugo Boss, have their headquarters nearby the airport. More than 500,000 Small and Medium Size Enterprises (SMEs) are situated in Baden-Wuerttemberg, which is the highest density of SMEs in Germany. With only 3.5%, Baden-Wuerttemberg has the lowest unemployment rate and it also generates the highest export value in the country.
Famous tourist attractions
Stuttgart and its region feature world famous attractions such as the 2nd largest beer festival in the world (called ‘Cannstatter Wasen’), Daimler Benz Museum and Porsche Museum as well as a unique outlet shopping experience in Metzingen. Moreover, Stuttgart Airport is the gateway to worldwide known tourist destinations such as the cities of Heidelberg and Baden-Baden with its famous casinos as well as the Black Forest.
Marketing and Incentives
For a successful route implementation and effective route development we offer tailor-made marketing plans and a remunerative incentive scheme. Some examples of marketing activities are as follows:
Advertising spaces at Stuttgart Airport and at the city and region of Stuttgart, as well as info screens at highly frequented public transport stations.
Print advertisement in the STR airport magazine or timetable as well as regional newspapers and national magazines (with targeting on the STR catchment area). Print mailings to travel agencies and international operating companies within the region.
Online advertising on the website of Stuttgart Airport as well as advertising on websites with special content such as travel related or business related websites.
Special events at the airport for inaugural flights, jubilees or to reward important trade partners as well as familiarisation trips to Stuttgart and it´s region. Other activities include promotional spots on local radio stations, mobile promotions, guerrilla marketing and many more.
For more and detailed information about marketing as well as our incentives programme feel free to contact us.
- 30 min catchment area: 3.5 million inhabitants
- 45 min catchment area: 4.9 million inhabitants
- 60 min catchment area: 6.4 million inhabitants
- 75 min catchment area: 8.0 million inhabitants
- 90 min catchment area: 10.2 million inhabitants
Under-served freight opportunities and other economic impact factors
The economic factors in the federal state of Baden-Wuerttemberg are extremely strong and show the economic viability this region has consistently over-achieved for several decades. The state belongs to the “Four Motors of Europe”.
Baden-Wuerttemberg has over 500,000 Small and Medium Size Enterprises (SMEs) which are the backbone of the local economy. It is the home of multinational companies such as Daimler (Mercedes Benz), Porsche, Bosch, Hugo Boss. In addition foreign companies, such as IBM, Hewlett Packard, Ernst & Young and Kodak, have established their German or European headquarters within the Stuttgart Airport catchment area.
- STR is located 13 km south of Stuttgart’s city centre (15 to 20 minutes by car). The airport can be reached via motorway ‘Autobahn A8’ (Karlsruhe-Munich) and ‘Autobahn A81’ (Frankfurt-Zurich) or via the federal highway B27 (from Tubingen and Stuttgart-Downtown).
- The city’s main station is part of the ICE-high speed, EC- and IC network and integrated into the French TGV-high speed network as well. The central station is located 25 minutes from the airport and is connected every 10 minutes by subway (S-Bahn S2 or S3).
- Passenger numbers (2017):
- Total passengers: 10.96 million
- Domestic passengers: 27%
- International passengers: 73%
- 70% origin STR, 30% destination STR
- 29% business, 42% leisure, 29% VFR
- Freight (2017): 27.07 tonnes
- Largest carrier: Eurowings
- Up to 450 departures and arrivals a day
- 124 destinations, 51 airlines, 36 countries
Infrastructure & Operations:
- One runway: 3,345 meters ILS CAT II and IIIb
- Slot Coordinated? Yes
- Operating hours: Departure: 6:00 (Off-Block: 05:50) – 23:00, Arrival 06:00 – 23:30
- Terminals: Four terminals. Terminals 1, 3 and 4: Departure and Arrival, Terminal 2: only Departure.
- Min. connect time: 30 minutes
- Other relevant Infrastructure & Operations details: 54 parking stands, 8 air bridges and 106 Check-in counters
Important infrastructure developments and/or other news
- Direct ICE high speed train access under construction
- The area around the airport includes the trade fair and International Congress Center Stuttgart and two hotels within walking distance. (4* superior Mövenpick Hotel and 3* Wyndham Hotel)