Stuttgart Airport – The gateway to Southwest Germany
Stuttgart Airport is located right in the heart of Baden-Wuerttemberg, the third largest state in Germany. With its 3,345 m runway, four modern terminal buildings and its direct highway and train access, Stuttgart Airport provides everything an airport needs to handle all types of flights, from regional to intercontinental. In 2019, over 12.73 million (+7.6%) passengers departed from or arrived at Stuttgart Airport.
Stuttgart is the capital city of Baden-Wuerttemberg. The modern and vibrant city offers a broad selection of ancient buildings as well as modern architecture, cultural highlights and high-class recreational facilities.
Strong economic power
Multinational companies such as Daimler (Mercedes Benz), Porsche, Bosch and Hugo Boss, have their headquarters nearby the airport. More than 500,000 Small and Medium Size Enterprises (SMEs) are situated in Baden-Wuerttemberg, which is the highest density of SMEs in Germany. With only 3.2% in 2019, Baden-Wuerttemberg has the second lowest unemployment rate and it also generates the highest export value in the country.
Famous tourist attractions
Stuttgart and its region feature world famous attractions such as the 2nd largest beer festival in the world (called ‘Cannstatter Wasen’), Daimler Benz Museum and Porsche Museum as well as a unique outlet shopping experience in Metzingen. Moreover, Stuttgart Airport is the gateway to worldwide known tourist destinations such as the cities of Heidelberg and Baden-Baden with its famous casinos as well as the Black Forest.
Stuttgart Airport supports airlines financially to foster long-term growth and innovation. The following incentives are granted:
New destination (acc. to the IATA code of the airport)
- Not served from STR in at least the past two* consecutive IATA flight scheduling periods
- Continental Services: Incentive per dep. pax: Year 1: €6, Year 2: €4
*This subsidy is only valid for the establishing of new routes in the period from the summer timetable 2021 to the end of the winter timetable 2021/2022.
- Not served from STR in at least the past three consecutive IATA flight scheduling periods
- Continental Services: Incentive per dep. pax: Year 1: €6, Year 2: €4, Year 3: €2, Year 4: €1
- Intercont. Services (flight time >5hrs): Incentive per dep. pax: Year 1: €12, Year 2: €8, Year 3: €4, Year 4: €2
- In relation to the total number of passengers per calendar year
- Rebate on the Charges in Section 19b of the Air Traffic Act
- 250,001 – 450,000 pax: 5%
- 450,001 – 1,000,000: 10%
- 1,000,001 – 1,500,000: 15%
- 1,500,000 pax: 20%
- Admixable kerosene defined in the Renewable Energy Directive RED II of the EU – reduction of at least 60% relative to the replaced quantity of fossil kerosene – produced with the aid of hydrogen made from renewable energy and a renewable carbon source
- Total of max. €500,000 up to € 300 per 1,000 litre alternative fuel
Full Electric Power Aircraft
- Without internal combustion engine under regular passenger air traffic operation
- Rebate of 100% on the landing and take-off charges for 12 months after introduction of the service
Further conditions apply. For details please refer to section 2 of the Charges Regulation at www.stuttgart-airport.com/chargesregulation or get in touch with your contact at Stuttgart Airport.
For a successful route implementation and effective route development we offer tailor-made marketing plans. Some examples of marketing activities are as follows:
Advertising spaces at Stuttgart Airport and at the city and region of Stuttgart.
Print advertisement in the STR airport magazine as well as regional newspapers and national magazines (with targeting on the STR catchment area).
Online advertising on the website of Stuttgart Airport as well as advertising on websites with special content such as travel related or business related websites. In addition, paid social media ads or editorial contributions on the Stuttgart Airport account.
Special events at the airport for inaugural flights, jubilees or to reward important trade partners as well as familiarisation trips to Stuttgart and its region. Other activities include promotional spots on local radio stations, mobile promotions, sponsoring and many more.
For more and detailed information about marketing possibilities feel free to contact us.
- Stuttgart Airport has the 3rd largest catchment area relative to other airports in Germany: 19.3 million people live within a 2-hour radius (by car or train)
- It opens the door to one of the most diverse and economically successful regions in Europe
- Stuttgart is the capital city of Baden-Wuerttemberg, the third largest state in Germany with 11 million inhabitants
- Most major European cities are within 1-2 hours distance by air
In the catchment area of Stuttgart Airport, there is a total annual air freight volume of around 670,000 tonnes. Global players such as Daimler AG, Bosch and PORSCHE ensure that the Stuttgart area is one of the busiest air cargo regions in Europe with their production in Stuttgart and the surrounding area.
4 cargo terminals with a total of 50,000 m² warehouse space and an anaual cargo thruput of 300,000 tonnes of air cargo
Cargo process time from warehouse <-> aircraft : 4h
Full competition in cargo / ground handling and a dozen of trucking & handling companies will ensure best quality at low cost for your company. 24/7 operation warehouse
- STR is located 13 km south of Stuttgart’s city centre (15 to 20 minutes by car). The airport can be reached via motorway ‘Autobahn A8’ (Karlsruhe-Munich) and ‘Autobahn A81’ (Frankfurt-Zurich) or via the federal highway B27 (from Tubingen and Stuttgart-Downtown).
- The city’s main station is part of the ICE-high speed, EC- and IC network and integrated into the French TGV-high speed network as well. The central station is located 25 minutes from the airport and is connected every 10 minutes by subway (S-Bahn S2 or S3). The ICE terminal right at the airport is currently under construction.
Passenger numbers (2019):
- Total passengers: 12.73M
- Domestic passengers: 20%, international passengers: 80%
- 82% origin STR, 18% destination STR
- 23% business, 54% leisure, 23% VFR
- Air cargo: 25,600 tonnes
- Air mail: 7,500 tonnes
- Largest carrier: Eurowings
- Up to 400 departures and arrivals a day
- 141 destinations, 41 countries, 56 airlines
High Quality Standards to Guarantee Airline Satisfaction
Continuous focus on punctual internal processes leads to an average of 81.0% punctual arrivals and departures (2019).
All internal targets for baggage reclaim (first/last) exceeded (2019).
Waiting Time at Security Control:
Average waiting time per passenger 2.0 minutes (2019).
Airport & Ramp Handling:
Constantly low number of passenger complaints (< 10 per month) about airport and ramp handling issues in recent years.
Infrastructure & Operations:
- One runway: 3,345 meters ILS CAT II and IIIb
- Slot Coordinated? Yes
- Operating hours: Departure: 6:00 (Off-Block: 05:50) – 23:00, Arrival 06:00 – 23:30
- Terminals: Four terminals. Terminals 1, 3 and 4: Departure and Arrival, Terminal 2: only Departure.
- Min. connect time: 30 minutes
- Other relevant Infrastructure & Operations details: 55 parking positions, 8 air bridges and 106 Check-in counters
Important infrastructure developments and/or other news
- Long-distance high-speed rail under construction
- The area around the airport includes the trade fair and International Congress Center Stuttgart and three hotels within walking distance. (two 4* superior Mövenpick Hotels and 3* Wyndham Hotel)