Other major reasons to serve this airport
- Close proximity to largest cities in the region: Southampton, Portsmouth, Basingstoke, Winchester, Poole and Bournemouth.
- Major cities and populations:
- Southampton 236,882
- Eastleigh 125,199
- Portsmouth 205,056
- Havant 120,684
- New Forest 176,462
- Winchester 116,595
- Isle of Wight 138,300.
- 3.5 million people within 1 hour of the airport and 1.4 million within 30 minutes.
- Catchment GDP of £17.5bn.
- Southampton is the cruise capital for northern Europe with 1.4 million cruise passengers using the port each year.
- Home port for major cruise liners: Cunard, Norwegian Cruise Line, P&O, Royal Caribbean.
- 73,000 businesses in the region which accounts for 20% of South East economy.
- Five major universities in the area with around 90,000 students within 30 minutes.
- Just over one hour from central London by train.
- Key attractions in local area:
- New Forest National Park – 8,300,000 visits per year
- Peppa Pig World (Paultons Family Theme Park) – 1,000,000+ visits per year
- Portsmouth Historic Dockyard – 532,000 visits per year
- Marwell Wildlife – 530,000 visits per year
- Spinnaker Tower (Portsmouth) – 390,000 visits per year
- The National Motor Museum at Beaulieu – 352,000 visits per year
- Winchester Cathedral – 331,000 visits per year
- Goodwood Festival of Speed & Revival meetings – over 320,000 visitors per year combined
Marketing and other support
- Publicity on our website which has over one million unique visitors per year.
- Excellent links with local media including BBC, ITV, radio and newspapers.
- Email communications to over 120,000 subscribers.
- Inclusion in quarterly magazine distributed in the terminal, cruise terminals and local hotels/businesses. Readership of 50,000 per edition.
- Publicity in Hampshire Society which has readership of 78,000 per month.
- Publicity in Hampshire Business with 4,000 circulation per month.
- Social media promotion – over 23,000 Twitter followers, 4,300 Facebook likes and 20,000 YouTube hits.
- Relationships with over 200 travel agents in the region.
Airport Catchment area
- 30 minute catchment area – 1.4 million people.
- 60 minute catchment area – 3.5 million people.
Under-served freight opportunities and other economic impact factors
- Air freight is normally carried in the belly hold of scheduled services.
- Southampton Airport is very close to the biggest cities in the region (Southampton and Portsmouth) with other large cities nearby including Basingstoke, Winchester, Poole and Bournemouth.
- Southampton Airport has great transport links by road (M27 and M3) and fantastic rail connections with one of the fastest plane to train connections in Europe. There are frequent direct trains to London Waterloo station in just over an hour.
- Key business sectors in the local area are: marine, defence/aerospace, advanced engineering, ICT, digital and media, financial, professional services, energy and environment, healthcare and pharmaceutical.
Infrastructure & Operations
- Runways: One (1,723 metres)
- Slot Coordinated: Yes, by ACL
- Operating hours: 06:30 – 22:30 daily (07:30 on Sundays)
- Terminals: One
- Minimum Connect Time (MCT): 45 minutes
Important infrastructure developments and/or other news
- Departure lounge refurbishments
- Business lounge expansion and refurbishment
- Passenger numbers: 1.8 million per year (43% domestic, 21% Channel Islands, 36% international)
- Freight: 150 tonnes of cargo per year
- Largest carrier: Flybe
- 5 star airport voted by Which? Survey