Other major reasons to serve this airport
WE ARE THE MAIN AIRPORT IN SOUTHERN TRANSYLVANIA
We connect people worldwide.
Ideally located in the heart of Romania, in a dynamic and prosperous region of Transylvania, Sibiu International Airport is well on track to become the second most successful airport in the region, in terms of passenger growth, service quality, and operational efficiency. Sibiu Airport ensures easy access to both Sibiu citizens and major international companies employees is located at just 10 min. drive from Sibiu city center and 5 min. drive from the main local industrial estate, which lies on the western side of Sibiu.
A fairy-tale region
The region of Sibiu is located in Southern Transylvania, an unique cultural and natural scenery.
The region includes the city of Sibiu and its surroundings, standing out through its exceptional heritage and traditions carried on by a multi-ethnic and multi-cultural community.
Sibiu city – a hub for business and tourism
For the second year in a row, Forbes has entitled Sibiu as one of the best cities for business in 2018.
Sibiu’s smart city projects, positive regional key indicators in terms of investments and economic growth, good infrastructure access, including the presence of Sibiu International Sibiu nearby were the main assets which determined Forbes to list Sibiu in Top Best 10 Romanian Cities To Do Business In.
Sibiu is the only Romanian city to be bestowed on, in 2011, three stars in “Michelin Green Guide”.
We are the gate of the world
Informal Summit of Heads of State or Government of the European Union hosted in Sibiu on 9th May 2019
In the context of the Romanian Presidency of the Council of the European Union, Sibiu Aiport was the gate of Europe in 2019.The debates regarding the future of the European Union, including from the perspective of shaping the new EU Strategic Agenda, have taken place in the Informal Summit that Romania has hosted in Sibiu on 9th May.
NATO Multinational Division of South-Eastern Europe headquarters in Sibiu
Our city will become a strategic point of command for NATO, which establishes the first Multinational Division of South-Eastern Europe headquarters in Sibiu. Ranked as being the only three stars headquarters, this high-readiness NATO division will be able to command forces deployed within NATO’s south-east region, supporting the defense of the Alliance, in the eastern flank of Europe.
The headquarter in Sibiu becomes the largest structure of this kind in Romania and it will be a hub for regional cooperation among Allies. The headquarter is designated to have about 450 personnel, including officers, six generals, and 38 colonels, who will move to Sibiu along with their families starting 2021.
Currently, this kind of structure in Romania is coordinated by NATO from Naples (Italy) or Izmir (Turkey), for example. With the establishment of the headquarter in Sibiu, the NATO flank in East Europe will be coordinated from Sibiu.
Marketing and other support
NEW INCENTIVE SCHEMES FOR AIRLINES SEEKING FURTHER DEVELOPMENT AT SIBIU INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT
Sibiu International Airport aims to develop new routes and services to meet customer expectations.
Thus, the opening up of new routes is a priority, and a necessity for the increase in passenger traffic, improving the activity of the airport.
Like most of Europe’s airports, Sibiu Airport encountered a traffic decline due to the lockdown and travel restrictions put in place as a result of the COVID-19 global pandemic. Sibiu Airport’s management team has been working hard to get the airport back to the traffic levels seen pre-pandemic as soon as possible. In this regard, Sibiu Airport is offering all interested airlines a state aid scheme approved in line with the conditions set out in the Temporary Framework of the European Commission. In particular, the aid will not exceed €800,000 per airline and will be granted before 30 June 2021 by Sibiu County Council.
- ANNOUNCEMENT of opening of the call for applications for state aid under the State aid scheme for supporting the activity of air operators in the context of the economic crisis generated by the COVID-19 pandemic, authorized by the European Commission by Decision no. SA.59156 of 20.11.2020 – Annex no. 1.
- SELF – DECLARATION FORM – Annex no. 2
- SELF – DECLARATION FORM – Annex no. 3
- OPERATIONAL CAPACITY ALLOCATION PLAN TO/FROM SIBIU INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT – Annex no. 4
Also, Sibiu International Airport enabled A NEW COMMERCIAL POLICY, which aims to stimulate traffic growth and give the passengers a better choice of destinations and flights. The financial assistance provided to all interested airlines should reduce the financial risk associated with starting up new routes.
The new Commercial Policy of Sibiu International Airport is available here
To apply for an incentive scheme, please complete the Application Form.
Airport Catchment area
- 30-minute catchment area – 230,000 population
- 60-minute catchment area – 540,000 population
- 90 minute catchment area – 1.2 million population
- 120-minute catchment area – 2.3 million population
- Excellent potential for cargo intermodal transport;
- Airport located in the proximity of the main highways; trucks route from Western Europe to Bulgaria and Turkey;
- Position: centre of Romania;
- Presence of nearby industrial parks (West Industrial Park: Continental Automotive Systems, Marquardt, Talata Petri, Siemens, Kuhnke, Brandl Ro, SNR Rulmenţi, ROB Systems, MHS Sibiu Truck & Bus, Bramac, Cognor Stahlhandel, Esarom, Phoenix Mecano Plastic, Polisano Pharmaceuticals, TAS, Mewa, RUD Kettenfabrik Rieger & Dietz, Harting, Ambient, Atlanta Ind Sibiu, Boromir;
- Other industrial parks in Sibiu include companies such as ThyssenKrupp, Bilstein, COMPA and Scandia;
Presence of other industrial areas: Blaj (75 kilometres from Sibiu — Bosch), Sebeş (Star Transmission), large agricultural areas with livestock cargo potential (cattle, sheep).
With a route network that covers key destinations of Europe, we secure direct and easy access to and from European destinations such as London, Madrid and Frankfurt. Moreover, throughout our daily flights to hubs like Munich and Vienna, we are enabling excellent connections worldwide for our passengers.
Scheduled flights to Germany, Austria, United Kingdom, Spain.
Destinations available from Sibiu Airport: Frankfurt Hahn, Dortmund, Stuttgart, Karlsruhe, Vienna, London, Madrid, Memmingen, Nürnberg.
Airlines operating at Sibiu Airport: Lufthansa, Austrian Airlines, Tarom, Blue Air, Wizz Air, Air Bucharest.
- Slot coordinated: No slot constraints
- Operating hours: airport open 24/7
- Minimum connection time: 30 minutes;
- Number of Terminals: 1
- Passenger capacity: 300 passengers per hour
OUR TRAFFIC EVOLUTION
2020 vs. 2019
Total aircraft movements
Sibiu Airport is located in the north-vest part of Sibiu City, a 1 km distance from the city center. The airport area is on the territory of Sibiu City and covers 300 hectares.
The terminal building is designed to provide easy access to our passengers and shows future expansions. On an area of 6,200 square meters, the terminal building combines functionality with user-friendly access.
Moreover, the compact terminal building offers various food and beverage points, Duty-Free shops, free art exhibition, free access to a public library, and other passenger services which provide a hasslefree and enjoyable airport experience to our passengers.
- Airport area: 300 ha
- Terminal passenger area: 6200 m2
- ICAO reference code : 4C
- Direction and distance to the city centre: 3 km
- AD Category for fire fighting: AD HR – CAT 7
- Runway: 2630 m length and 45 m wide, E – W oriented, PCN 56
- Apron capacity
- 15 parking positions: AVO cat B, C, D.
- 3 rolling concrete surfaces (taxiways) – E, W, N
- 4C according to ICAO
- Turning bays on both sides: length of 100 m x width of 60 m
- Operational capacity: one aircraft every 3 minutes
- Lighting system: cat II, ILS cat II
THE TERMINAL BUILDING OFFERS THE FOLLOWING FACILITIES
- Duty paid shop;
- Business lounge;
- ATMs and currency exchange machines;
- Automatic drinks and food dispensers;
- Car rental offices;
- Wireless connection free of charge;
- Car parking (capacity of 300 spaces);
- Other relevant Infrastructure and operations details:
- Excellent geo-climatic conditions.
Airport charges at Sibiu International Airport are set by the Ministry of Transportation’s Order, Nr. 744/2011 for establishing conditions that can be associated with the airport charges and criteria that can be applied to the differentiation of airport charges, with subsequent amendments.
Airport charges here.
SIBIU REGION IN NUMBERS
- County area: 5.432 square km
- Total no. of inhabitants: 469.285
- 2019 – Sibiu County
- Gross average salary: 1042 EURO
- Unemployment rate: 1,7%
- 2019 – Romania
- Gross average salary: 1057 EURO
- Unemployment rate: 3,1%