Major reasons to serve this airport
About the market:
- Over 2,200 international companies are located in the Amsterdam area.
- Dutch multinationals: Royal Dutch Shell, Unilever, Corus, ING Group, Fortis, ABN-Amro, Aegon, Philips, Royal KPN, Heineken, Grolsch and AHOLD.
- The Randstad region (includes the cities Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Utrecht and The Hague) is the fourth largest economic urban region in the European Union.
- The Port of Rotterdam is one of the largest international seaports in the world and is situated within a 60km radius from Schiphol.
- The Netherlands ranks first on the list of the largest ports in Europe.
- Famous Dutch people: Vincent van Gogh, Rembrandt van Rijn, Gerard Adriaan Heineken, Anthony “The Flying Dutchman” Fokker, Anne Frank, DJ Tiësto, Johan Cruijff, Doutzen Kroes and Anton Philips.
- Stable and effective political system;
- Excellent macro-economic environment;
- Efficient financial sector;
- Flexible labour market;
- Internationally oriented economy;
- Competitive tax environment;
- Dutch economy is relatively robust.
About Amsterdam Airport Schiphol:
- 71 million passengers in 2018;
- 100 airlines serving 326 scheduled destinations (including cargo destinations);
- One-terminal concept;
- Excellent transfer connections;
- High peak hour capacity, short turnaround times possible;
- 25 full freighter airlines;
- Second largest catchment area in Europe: approximately 35 million people within 200 km of AMS;
- Excellent landside access;
- Railway station underneath the terminal building;
- Schiphol has proven to be a consistent winner of prestigious awards as passenger and cargo airport and for its airport marketing;
- 500 companies located at Schiphol.
Main cities: Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Eindhoven, Utrecht, The Hague, Maastricht, Breda and Groningen.
Main attractions: Canal cruise Amsterdam, Anne Frankhuis, Van Gogh Museum, Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam Diamond Centre, Madurodam, Keukenhof, Delta Works, Zaanse Schans (Mills) and Aalsmeer flower auction.
Marketing and other support
The Aviation Marketing team is happy to get you started at AMS or to help you develop your existing AMS network. We provide you with ideas and suggestions, tailor-made marketing support. To help you establish and maintain sustainable markets, we also involve partners such as:
- National, regional and local tourism boards;
- Regional development agencies;
- Business communities;
- Cooperation with the destination you fly to/from;
- National, regional and local authorities;
- Other Schiphol departments;
- Travel trade partners.
Together with our airline customers we focus on what it is they need in creating sustainable markets. AMS has the right tools to help airlines operate to/from the Dutch market. We will provide you with:
- Passenger profiles;
- Choice of distribution channel;
- Promotional activities;
- Various other activities;
In 2018, the Netherlands had a population of 17 million people, which is a relatively high number considering its small geographic size (approximately 41,000 square km). In terms of population, the Netherlands is the largest of the small countries of Western Europe. It is significantly smaller than neighbouring countries such as France, the UK and Germany, but also considerably more populated than countries of a similar size, such as Belgium, Denmark and Switzerland. The Netherlands is one of the most densely populated countries in the world. In 2018, the Netherlands was visited by 17 million international tourists, an increase of 12% compared to the previous year
Freight opportunities and other economic impact factors
- Amsterdam Airport Schiphol is located in close proximity to the largest seaports in the Netherlands: the Port of Rotterdam and to the Port of Amsterdam.
- Around the corner is the Flower Auction of Aalsmeer: FloraHolland, the largest flower market in the world.
- You will find numerous European Headquarters and European Distribution Centres (EDC), since the Netherlands is the number one location for EDC’s in Europe.
- Getting from Amsterdam Airport Schiphol into Amsterdam is very easy. Underneath the airport terminal is the train station and it takes only 15 minutes to reach the city centre of Amsterdam! Every 7 minutes a train leaves to Amsterdam.
- Also The Hague, Rotterdam and Utrecht are close by: 30 minutes by train to the city center of The Hague and Utrecht and 45 minutes to the city center of Rotterdam.
- With a high-speed train in just 27 minutes to the city center of Rotterdam.
- 13 high-speed trains to Paris, via Antwerp and Brussels (connecting time Amsterdam – Paris; only three hours).
Infrastructure & Operations:
- Runways: Six:
- Polder runway: 18R-36L: 3,800 metres;
- Zwanenburg runway: 18C-36C: 3,300 metres;
- Aalsmeer runway 18L-36R: 3,400 metres;
- Kaag runway 06-24: 3,500 metres;
- Buitenveldert runway: 09-27: 3,450 metres;
- Schiphol East runway: 04-22: 2,014 metres.
- Operating hours: 24/7.
- One terminal with seven piers.
- Aircraft stands:
- 93 connected;
- 105 remote.
- 71 million passengers in 2018.
- 100 airlines serving 326 scheduled destinations including cargo destinations.
- 25 cargo airlines.
- Freight: 1.7 million tonnes in 2018.
- Peak hour capacity:
- 106 movements in arrival peak;
- 110 movements in departure peak.