Other major reasons to serve this airport
- No operational or technical restrictions of any kind.
- Significantly lower charges than other airports in the area and volume discounts unavailable elsewhere.
- Important marketing & PR support from private, client-focused airport operator.
- Strategic location with direct access to motorway linking the region’s two main cities
- Approximately 30 minute drive to major tourist resorts such as Torrevieja, La Manga, el Mar Menor and less than an hour’s drive from the resorts under development in the south of the region and north of Almeria.
- Important holiday home destination and large number of European expatriates. Over 95,000 British nationals reside in the airport’s catchment area, guaranteeing year-round, stable traffic.
- Growing golfing holiday destination with 21 golf courses in the region and warm temperatures year-round.
Marketing and other support
As one of the first privately managed Spanish airports outside the Aena network, Región de Murcia International Airport endeavours to develop close working relationships with airlines, based on openness, collaboration, trust and mutual respect.
Just as the airport itself has been designed with airlines in mind, the pricing plan aims to facilitate their growth and operational efficiency, while at the same time helping the airport meet its objectives.
Transparent, impartial and simple, it offers a general per departing passenger charge considerably lower than other airports in the vicinity, as well as additional discounts based on passenger volumes, not available in comparable airports.
As well as financial incentives, Región de Murcia International Airport supports airlines in a number of other ways:
- Market research: demand analysis, traffic forecasts etc.
- Marketing support: co-marketing, promotional activities, PR support, exposure in airport media etc.
- Liaison with local authorities and tourism bodies
- Prior consultation on key issues affecting airlines’ business at the airport
- 30 min catchment area: 838,000 population
- 60 min catchment area: 2.1 million pop.
- 120 min catchment area: 3.8 million pop.
Under-served freight opportunities and other economic impact factors
Región de Murcia is one of Europe’s largest producers of fruit and vegetables, with agriculture (including livestock and fisheries) representing almost 5% of GDP. Currently, most of this produce is distributed by road and by air through Alicante Airport. Región de Murcia International airport has a cargo terminal of almost 2,000 m2, which together with the absence of technical and operational restrictions, offers an important opportunity to develop an air freight hub in the province.
Región de Murcia International Airport is strategically located 25km from the city of Murcia, the capital of the Region, and 32km from Cartagena, the second largest city. Thanks to the airport’s direct access to the A-30 motorway, the resorts of Torrevieja, La Manga and the Mar Menor, can all be reached in approximately 30 minutes, while the city of Alicante is an hour’s drive to the north and the resorts of Vera and Mójacar in Almeria are an hour to the south.
Región de Murcia itself boasts a 250km coastline, an average annual temperature of 18.4°C and enjoys 315 days of sunshine a year, making it a year-round haven for golf and watersports enthusiasts, not to mention sun seekers. For this reason, the province has become an important holiday home destination in recent years. In fact, there are some 95,000 British expatriates living in the airport’s catchment area.
Infrastructure & Operations
- One runway, 3,000m x 45m
- Not slot coordinated
- Operating hours: H16 (can be extended to H24)
- One passenger and one cargo terminal (newly constructed)
- 3 million capacity passenger terminal, easily expandable up to 14 million
- Nine boarding gates, all permitting direct access to aircraft on foot, without air-bridges or buses. Use of air-bridges optional at two gates.
- 74,500m2 apron with up to 11 stands for narrow-bodied aircraft (737/A320) and eight corporate/light aircraft
- Capacity of 3 million but easily expandable up to 14 million
- Runway 3,000 x 45m
- 1 rapid exit taxiway
- 4 holding bays
- 23,000 movements/year
- 11 movements/hour
- 2,030 passengers/hour
- RFFS category 7
- ILS Cat I
- 2,000m2 cargo terminal
- 9 boarding gates
- 24 + 1 check-in desks
- 3 + 1 baggage reclaim belts
- ICAO category 4E airport
- Airport charges: Región de Murcia International Airport offers significantly lower charges than other airports in the area as well as important discounts based on passenger volumes, unavailable elsewhere. Please contact us for further information.