New routes and frequency possibilities and why these routes would work
Other major reasons to serve this airport
- Pulkovo Airport ranks 3rd among Russian airports (after DME and SVO). In 2012 Pulkovo Airport handled 11.2 mln passengers (+ 16.06 %).
- St. Petersburg is the 4th largest city in Europe (after London, Paris and Moscow) and the second largest – in Russia with population over than 5 mln.
- More than 6 100 000 tourists visited St. Petersburg in 2012. 45% of tourists in St. Petersburg are foreign visitors
- St. Petersburg is a city with diverse and fast growing economy (in 2012 GRP + 4.5 %)
- Attractive city and region for investment: from 2008 till 2012 volume of foreign investments to the city economy increased by 34 % and in 2012 it reached USD 8 mln.
- Volume of Gross Regional Product per capita was 12.5 thousand US Dollars. (+8.7 %) in 2012.
- Saint Petersburg is a city with a large number of multinational companies, including General Motors, Nissan, Toyota, Suzuki, Ford, Coca-Cola, Pepsi, Microsoft, Nestlé, Gillette, IBM, Philip Morris, BAT, JTI and others.
- One of the most developing and perspective economy segments in Saint Petersburg is an automobile cluster. At the present time in Saint Petersburg there are 6 factories producing the leading brand automobiles (Toyota, GM, Nissan, Hyundai, Scania, YO-mobile).
- Saint Petersburg is the most attractive region for investments in pharmaceutical industry among Russian cities. Number of pharmacy companies reached 145.
- Venue for the St. Petersburg International Economic Forum – leading global business event, attracting over 4000 Russian and international participants, representing government and business leaders from around the world.
- The G20 Leaders’ Summit, to be held in St. Petersburg in September, 2013.
Marketing and other support
- Incentive program for airlines. Bonuses for new comers, new destination, frequency increase and transfer traffic development. More information on the Pulkovo Airport website;
- Airport, tourism statistics and market analysis on request;
- Passenger profile;
- Touristic and corporate demand analysis, tour operators surveys, etc.
- Web banner on the airport’s website www.pulkovoairport.ru, including the advertising route into the common banner of airport’s website promoting new destinations of a season
- Promotion in the social networks and blogs (VKontakte, Facebook, Twitter, LiveJournal, YouTube, Instagram)
- Tailor made advertising campaigns (Internet, outdoor, radio).
- Advertising banners at the airport terminal (check-in screens, self-service kiosks, etc)
- Article and photo publication in “Flight Line” magazine (distributed at the airport terminals)
- Press releases on Pulkovo Airport website, distribution within mass media data base
- First flight event (organization the ceremony of the first flight in the terminal)
- Joint promotion workshops (events) for the leading stakeholders in the city: tour operators and travel agencies, mass media in collaboration with the Russian Union of Travel Industry, Saint Petersburg City Administration, Consulates, American Chamber of Commerce (LED TOGETHER – once a year, “New destinations of the coming season” – twice a year)
- Advertising on the resources of Saint Petersburg Tourist Information Bureau (by mutual agreement): on line, “Visit Petersburg.ru” magazine
- Organizing famtrips for tour operators, travel agencies
Thanks to the city’s favourable geographic position, Pulkovo Airport serves an extensive catchment area: almost 10 mln people:
- Greater Saint Petersburg + region – 6.7 million
- Pskov + region – 0.6 million
- Novgorod + region – 0.6 million
- Petrozavodsk + region – 0.6 million
- Vologda + region –1.2 million
It reaches well into neighboring cities of Russian Federation as Pskov, Vologda, Novgorod, Petrozavodsk which are considered very popular historical and touristic parts of North-West district of Russia. Petrozavodsk is the capital of Karelia republic, with 65 % tourist growth every year. Pskov and Novgorod attract tourists as old historical centers.
Under-served freight opportunities and other economic impact factors
- Pulkovo Airport is located 15 km from the city centre and has highway connections as well as regular bus lines and taxi links to the city centre and metro stations. 15 minutes by public bus to the nearest metro station.
- LED is directly connected with city ring highway.
- In 2014 “Aeroexpress” JSC together with Russian Railways will start the project of building a line for the express train from terminal “Pulkovo” to Baltic railway station which is situated in the centre of the city.
- St. Petersburg is considered as the biggest sea port of North-West region of Russian Federation. During summer navigation 2012 the passenger flow was 422,67 thousand people. In Summer 2013 it is forecasted 18% growth of passenger flow. Cruise tourism has the best index firstly due to opening the new sea passenger terminal and also due to right for passengers travelling by ferry visa-free stay in Russian Federation within 72 hours.
- In 2012 goods turnover of St. Petersburg sea port was 8.7 mln. tons (+ 17,5%). It processes 66% of the maritime trade of Russia.
- Total 2012 throughput 11,2 mln (+16.06%)
- 45 % domestic
- 55 % international
- 70 regular airlines inc (2012):
- 34 international airlines; 14 from CIS countries
- 22 domestic airlines.
- 157 regular destinations inc (2012):
- 69 international, 32 from CIS countries
- 56 domestic.
- Flag carrier – JSC “Rossiya Airlines”, 39% of total St. Petersburg traffic, more than 4.2 mln passengers in 2012.