Other major reasons to serve this airport
- Major cultural and sun and beach tourist attractions.
- The island has more than 550 kilometres of coastline and 208 beaches – 158 of them are sandy.
- Multi-cultural and lively city.
- Potential for convention and congress tourism.
- Hidden natural areas like Sa Calobra, and one UNESCO World Heritage Site: the Sierra de Tramuntana.
- La Seu is the second highest Gothic cathedral among the European Gothic cathedrals.
- It is a perfect place to practice water sports.
- Highly recommended Mediterranean cuisine and local origin products: wine (Binissalem) and olives.
- Health tourism: talaso-therapy centres, spa hotels, beauty centres.
- Many private companies have rewarded the airport’s work:
- Palma de Mallorca was in the top ten Southern Europe Airports in the Skytrax 2013 passengers surveys;
- In 2011, Palma de Mallorca Airport was distinguished in the Airport Service Quality Awards in the category of Best Improvement by ACI;
- Winner of the ACI Europe Best Airport 2009 Award at the “10-25 million passenger” category for its strong relationships with its airline customers and its successful adoption of a hub strategy.
Marketing and other support
- For increasing number of passengers on a route;
- Connecting flights;
- Freight: is exempted of cargo charge from the 5 July 2014;
- Note: A 1.9% reduction in all the airport charges will be effective on 1st March 2016.
The conditions of the Aena Incentive scheme and PR support are according to the wording included in the legislation in force. For more information please visit: http://www.aena.es/csee/Satellite/aerolineas/en/Page/1237567508844/
The map shows the population living near Palma de Mallorca Airport, and the nearest airports in the area (Ibiza and Menorca airports).
- Population of the main cities in the Balearic Islands:
- Palma de Mallorca – 404,681;
- Manacor – 40,859;
- Alcúdia – 19,112;
- Ibiza – 49,516;
- Santa Eulária des Riu – 32,637;
- Formentera – 9,962;
- Ciutadella – 29,247;
- There are 1.1 million inhabitants in the Balearic Islands.
Under-served freight opportunities and other economic impact factors
- Palma de Mallorca airport is located eight kilometres east of the main city.
- The airport can be accessed from the Palma-Santanyi motorway.
- Route 1 – Airport-City-Port.
- Route 21 – S’Arenal-Airport.
Infrastructure & Operations
- Runways: Two runways (3,000 m, 3,270m).
- Slot Coordinated: Coordinated.
- Operating hours: 24 hours.
- Terminals: One.
- AIP: http://www.aena.es/csee/Satellite/navegacion-aerea/en/Page/1078418725163/?other=1083158950596&other2=1083857759262#ancla340
Important infrastructure developments and/or other news
Look for more Balearic region information at:
- Passengers (commercial): 5,083,846 domestic passengers; 18,018,238 international passengers.
- Air Transport Movements: 86.6% scheduled flights; 13.4% charter flights.
- Freight: 11,516 tonnes.
- Largest carriers (Top 10): airberlin, Ryanair, Air Europa, easyJet, Vueling, Condor, Thomson Airways, TUIfly, germanwings and Air Nostrum.