Frequency possibilities and why these routes would work
All these routes show viability for 2-3 weekly frequencies. With no existing direct flights to these destinations, passengers have mainly transferred at Frankfurt/Hahn or Cologne/Bonn.
The Osijek-London route has the greatest potential, proven by Germanwings and Ryanair. Research shows that 38% of international passengers from Osijek transfer at German airports with London as the final destination. Other potential routes will serve large Croatian, Bosnian and Serbian migrant communities around Europe, but also cater for tourists and business passengers.
Other major reasons to serve this airport
- Osijek is the fourth largest city in Croatia with a population of 115,000. It is the largest city and the economic and cultural centre of the eastern Croatian region of Slavonia. Osijek is located by the river Drava, close to where it merges with the Danube.
- Croatia is more than just a coast! Tourists are increasingly taking the opportunity to visit charming Osijek and its surroundings, characterised by its warm-hearted people, delicious food, beautiful nature, rich heritage and a wealth of outdoor activities. Osijek and its region abounds with cultural and historical heritage, unique continental architecture, churches, fortresses, castles, thermal springs and health resorts based on thermal mineral waters.
- All this is waiting to be explored and within an hour from Osijek it is possible to reach Hungary, Serbia and Bosnia and Herzegovina. The expansion of the European Common Aviation Area means that EU airlines have unrestricted access to the Croatian market.
Marketing and other support
Osijek Airport supports airlines with:
- airport charges – incentive programme for opening of new routes, additional frequencies on existing routes or year-round traffic
- full market information (statistics, analysis and economic data)
- airport advertising – web site, banners, panels, billboards
- PR – inaugural flight, press conference, required activities for press, pax and VIP
- joint marketing campaigns
- The catchment area of the airport has a potential of 1.5-2.0 million.
- The catchment area comprises a region of approximately 200 km around the airport (driving time approx. 2 hours)
- East Croatia, with its 890,000 inhabitants, forms the core of the catchments area.
- The catchment extends to bordering countries – Bosnia and Herzegovina, Serbia and Hungary.
Under-served freight opportunities and other economic impact factors
Osijek Airport is located on the doorstep of the European Union, on the E73 road Budapest-Osijek-Sarajevo-Ploce and Pan-European traffic corridor X: Salzburg-Ljubljana-Zagreb-Belgrade-Skopje-Thessaloniki. In addition to the great road and rail infrastructure, the airport is 20km from the rivers Drava and Danube, which enables multimode transport opportunities within Croatia as well as to Hungary, Serbia and Bosnia and Herzegovina.
Thanks to its location, great infrastructure, modern, fully equipped facilities and spare capacity, Osijek Airport is the region’s first choice for cargo needs.
Commercial Air Traffic / Cargo information
Osijek Airport was built in 1980 as an alternative airport for Belgrade, primarily for air cargo. As such, the airport is the first in Croatia that focuses its development on a strong air cargo strategy.
Indeed the airport has great aspirations for further cargo development, and until now mainly ad hoc cargo operations have been performed, mostly with Il-76s and 747s. Osijek has several competitive advantages over other airports in neighbouring EU countries, especially for transport of perishable goods, live stock, electronics, humanitarian goods or goods of high value, on transport between the EU and countries in Africa, Asia, the Middle East and North America.
Advantages for air cargo operators if they used Osijek Airport are:
- Great location with strong transport links and industrial hinterland.
- Runway 2,500 x 45 metres.
- 24/7 service.
- Independent ground handling.
- Independent forwarder, customs, veterinarian, sanitary inspectors…
- Good weather
- “All inclusive” price policy for scheduled services.
- For further information along with cargo, capacity and help, please contact +385 31 514402 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Foreign companies within a 50 km catchment area:
- Benetton Croatia
- Supermarkets Emmezeta
- Thyssenkrupp Belisce
- Hypo-Alpe-Adria Group
- Mijo Veneers
- Saint Jean Industries
- The city of Osijek is the major regional centre in eastern Croatia. Hungary, Serbia, and Bosnia and Herzegovina are all reachable within an hour.
Infrastructure & Operations
- 1 Runway 2,500m x 45m
- Slot Coordinated: No
- Operating hours: 24 hours on request
- 1 Passenger Terminal + 1 Cargo Terminal
- Min. connect time: 30 minutes
- NO noise restrictions
Visit www.osijek-airport.hr or contact the route development specialist for further information.