Other major reasons to serve this airport
- Narita International Airport is the airport for Tokyo Metropolitan area (43 million inhabitants), the largest metropolitan area in the world, and premier and primary international gateway for Japan’s population of 127 milion.
- Narita International Airport processes almost 40% of the nation’s international air traffic. It is also a key international hub linking Asia with North America, functioning as the main artery for the Asia-Pacific region.
- In comparison to other Asian airports, Narita International Airport features an exclusive well-balanced global route network.
Tokyo and Japan
- Tokyo has the largest metropolitan economy in the world (world’s only 1 trillion GDP metropolitan area) and Japan has the 3rd largest economy as well.
- Japan has one of the highest GDP per capita (USD 38,900 per capita) among economically emerging Asian countries and Tokyo has the highest GDP compared with other capital cities in the world.
- Japan is the world’s 4th largest overall exporter as well as importer.
Marketing and other support
Narita International Airport Corporation (NAA) offers a kind of marketing support to airline partners:
- Market Information: Statistics and market analysis on request.
- PR support: Offering the vacant advertisement media in the Terminal Buildings and PR media on our website.
- Airport marketing: Offering event space for destination campaign, inaugural flight and a new aircraft ceremony etc.
- Marketing support: Funding for ad hoc or tailor-made advertisements and campaigns at outside the airport (i.e. placing advertisements in train stations at downtown Tokyo or inside train advertisement media of Narita Express and Skyliner both run between downtown Tokyo and the airport
- Tokyo Metropolitan Area: 43 million inhabitants
Under-served freight opportunities and other economic impact factors
- Narita International Airport’s cargo handling capacity is 2.35 million tonnes a year.
- A concentration of facilities constructed by freight forwarders as well as facilities for lease by logistic property developers around the airport provides a significant boost to the functions of the airport.
- Freight forwarder warehouses around the airport offer floor space exceeding 450,000 square meters, far surpassing the 200,000 square meters available in the airport.
- These facilities play a part in the airport’s logistics functions giving Narita International Airport a great advantage over other international airports in Japan.
- Narita International Airport is located approximately 60 km east of downtown Tokyo and the airport is linked to downtown Tokyo through Shuto Expressway (lit. Metropolitan Expressway), Higashi Kanto Expressway and New Airport Expressway.
- It has an extensive bus network and a basement train station for Skyliner and Narita Express to downtown Tokyo and other cities in Tokyo Region.
- Getting from Narita International Airport into Tokyo is very easy. Underneath the airport terminal is the train station and it takes only 36 minutes to downtown Tokyo.
- SKYLINER (Keisei line): 36 minutes
- NARITA EXPRESS (JR): 59 minutes
- 70 minutes
Helicopter Access (MCAS):
- 20 minutes
Infrastructure & Operations:
- Runways: 2
- Runway A: 4,000m×60m, 34L/16R
- Runway B: 2,500m×60m, 16L/34R
- Runway Capacity: At most 68 movements per hour
- Slot Coordinated?: Yes, Level 3 coordinated airport. Please contact for slot application information of scheduled flights:
- Operating hours: 06:00-23:00
- Terminals (Number, type and last major refurbishment): Total 3 passenger terminals
- Passenger Terminal 1 (463,000 square meters): 1978 May 20th open, 2006 June 2nd renewal open
- Passenger Terminal 2 (391,000 square meters): 1992 December 6th open
- Passenger Terminal 3 (67,000 square meters): 2015 April 8th open
- Min. connect time: Minimum 45 minutes
- Other relevant Infrastructure & Operations details:
- Cargo Terminal Buildings, etc.: 286,300 square meters
- Stands: 169
- Passengers: 39 million passengers in 2016
- 32,049,076 International passengers
- 7,004,576 Domestic passengers
- Total: 39,053,652
- 96 airlines serving 125 destinations (International and Domestic)
- Freight: 2,083,220 tons in 2016
- Largest carriers: Japan Airlines, All Nippon Airways, Delta Air Lines, United Airlines.
- Aircraft movements: 243,474 in 2016