Other reasons to serve this airport
- Location of Oman.
- Connecting hub for the Far East, Africa and Indian Sub-Continent.
- In 2015, more than 800,000 passengers travelled between Muscat and Europe.
- Free capacity at the airport.
- Easy process and procedures.
- Excellent quality for customer service and management.
Marketing/and other support
- Inauguration for first flight and cake cutting celebration.
- Press conference, press (local and international) and FAM trip.
- Airport tours for travel agents, tour operators and airline.
- Establishing contacts with the local distribution channels (Commercial , Finance, Media and Operations departments).
- Promoting new air service at all Oman Airports.
- Supporting airlines with business cases and joint promotions.
- Working together with local tourism authority to facilitate co-operation.
- The total population of Oman is around 4.5 million.
- Muscat is the capital and largest metropolitan city of Oman.
- The total population of the Muscat Governorate is around 1.5 million (National Centre for Statistics and Information).
- Thanks to its unique location of being strategically situated at the centre of trade between the Indian Sub-Continent, Africa and the continents of Asia and Europe, Oman offers the highest potential for the cargo growth as a gateway to these regions with the combined capacity of the country’s four main airports.
- Muscat Airport has a capacity to handle 140,000 tons per annum.
- The cargo facility has increased its equipment fleet and infrastructure to provide better service and efficiency in operations.
- As part of the new Muscat International Airport, due by 2017, the new Muscat Cargo Centre, is a 32,000 sqm fully air-conditioned cargo terminal, with a capacity of 350,000 tons per annum.
- Oman Air has made many design improvements and additions to the infrastructure to increase the cargo terminal capacity, allowing for faster processing, storage and delivery of cargo.
- The distance from downtown Muscat to the international airport is 13km.
- Muscat International Airport is conveniently situated on the main Sultan Qaboos Highway between Muscat and Seeb.
- Public buses, run by the Oman National Transport Company, stop on Sultan Qaboos Highway outside of the Muscat International Airport complex.
Infrastructure & Operations
- Runways: one runway; 4.000m.
- Slot Coordinated: Yes. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Operating hours: 24 hr.
- Terminals: one terminal.
- Min. connect time: One hour.
Important infrastructure developments and/or other news
- The new Muscat International Airport will have capacity to handle 12 million passengers per annum.
- Stage 2 (24 million), Stage 3 (36 million) and Stage 4 (48 million) of the project will see the airport’s capacity enhanced.
- The new airport is scheduled to be completed in the next few years.
- The new airport is designed as ICAO category 4F aircraft and shall be able to accommodate the world`s largest aircraft, the A380.
- The two runways have been designed to enable independent parallel operation.
- Muscat International Airport passenger terminal building total area – 580,000 metres squared.
- ATC tower height – 97m.
- 96 check-in counters.
- 29 passenger boarding bridges.
- 30 aircraft remote stands.
- 5,500 bags per hour baggage processing capacity.
- The airport handled over 10 million passengers in 2015.
- The largest airlines (top five in terms of weekly seat capacity): Oman Air, flydubai, Qatar Airways, Emirates and Jet Airways.