Other major reasons to serve this airport
- Relevant tourist hot spot.
- Menorca has been a UNESCO Biosphere Reserve since 1983, and has developed an environmentally friendly tourism.
- Footwear, leather goods, jewellery and other small industries makes this island one of the best destinations for business in the Mediterranean Sea.
- Menorca is especially well-known for its traditional summer fiestas, which intrigue many visitors. The ‘Festes de Sant Joan’ is held annually in Ciutadella, for three days.
- The port of Mahon, located to the east coast of the island, is the second largest natural harbor in Europe. Currently it combines tourist and industrial functions, along with numerous cruises.
Marketing and other support
- For increasing number of passengers on a route;
- Connecting flights;
- Freight: is exempted of cargo charge from the 5 July 2014;
- Note: A 1.9% reduction in all the airport charges will be effective on 1st March 2016.
The conditions of the Aena Incentive scheme and PR support are according to the wording included in the legislation in force. For more information please visit: http://www.aena.es/csee/Satellite/aerolineas/en/Page/1237567508844/
To contact the local authorities, please go to http://www.e-menorca.org
- There are around 93,313 people living in Menorca (within 30 min).
Under-served freight opportunities and other economic impact factors
- Menorca Airport is located approximately 4.5 kilometres to the south-west of the island’s capital, Mahon.
- From Mahon: access is by the PM-704; then take the PM-709, towards the airport.
- From Ciutadella: access is by the C-721; then take the PM-709, towards the airport.
- Line 10: Airport – Mahón.
Infrastructure & Operations
- Runways: One (2,550).
- Slot Coordinated: Coordinated during the summer season, facilitated during the winter season.
- Operating hours: Summer 0500-2230 (+45 min PPR); Winter 0600-2100 UTC (+45 min PPR).
- Terminals: One (inaugurated in July 2009).
- AIP: http://www.aena.es/csee/Satellite/navegacion-aerea/es/Page/1078418725163/?other=1083158950596#ancla3
Important infrastructure developments and/or other news
For more regional information please go to:
- Balearic Islands Official Tourist Information: Majorca, Minorca, Ibiza and Formentera
- Menorca Island Council
- Mahón City Hall
- Tourism in Spain
- Passengers (commercial): 1,257,137 domestic passengers; 1,365,974 international passengers.
- Air Transport Movements: 73.4% scheduled flights; 26.6% charter flights.
- Freight: 1,422 tonnes.
- Largest carriers (Top 10): Vueling, Air Nostrum, Thomson Airways, Ryanair, easyJet, Thomas Cook UK, Monarch Airlines, Jet2.com, TUIfly and Air Europa.