Melbourne Airport is the right choice for your growth
- 24/7 Curfew free operation
- Single Terminal Precinct
- Projected to be Australasia’s largest city by 2030
- Victoria has the strongest and fastest growing economy than the rest of Australia.
- 81.2% average load factor
- Strongest international and domestic growth
- Australia’s domestic cargo hub
- Australia’s most desirable city- voted the world’s most liveable city, 7 years in a row.
- Melbourne is Australia’s sporting capital, being the only capital city in the world to host the Grand Slam Tournament and the Grand Prix
Marketing and other support
- Team Victoria Approach
The Melbourne Airport Aviation Commercial team plays a pivotal role supporting our airline customers in partnership with Visit Victoria, Invest Victoria and Tourism Australia and the travel marketing and distribution channels overall. We coordinate and align our strategies and objectives and resources to provide support along the entire journey both inbound and outbound.
- In- market support
We have developed a highly successful marketing program which focuses our investment with our airline partners into marketing activities that drive conversion. We act as strategic consultants, providing market insights and connecting the local and overseas travel and tourism industry with a focus on filling the seats year-round, in both directions at a profitable yield. Melbourne Airport will assist and fully support trade introductions and relationships where desired. An end to end integrated approach over time is available to ensure our airlines are supported across all touch points.
- Access to a highly experienced Marketing team
All of our Airline partners work closely with our dedicated Aviation marketing team with a wealth of experience in delivering marketing strategies with results in the Australian and in particular local market. We tailor individual marketing strategies defined by our airlines objectives. These are then executed with best practice advice in the industry delivering integrated above and below the line campaigns with effective reach and results.
- Melbourne Airport Marketing Assets
Airport advertising is powerful and airline brands are elevated within this environment made up of high reach, frequency and dwell time. We have a breadth of physical and digital advertising assets available at the airport, offering different levels of exposure through the customer journey including the largest outdoor digital screens in the Southern hemisphere. We pride ourselves on our press worthy inaugural events, jointly hosted airline and airport famils, cultural event celebrations and airport activations.
Under-served freight opportunities and other economic impact factors
- Melbourne Airport is not only the key freight hub for Victoria, but also for Tasmania and South Australia thanks to its location and 24/7 operation.
- Melbourne Airport processes 1/3 of Australia’s international air freight.
- Over 85% of Melbourne Airport’s freight is carried on board passenger aircraft.
- There was a 4% growth in exports with 182,983 tonnes exported last financial year contributing to a 35% market share
- In the last financial year more than 308,947 tonnes of freight were exported and imported through Melbourne Airport, taking up 29 per cent of Australia’s market share.
- Melbourne Airport is conveniently located approximately 25km north –west of the city CBD.
- Transport options: Skybus and Public buses, taxis, Uber and car hire.
Infrastructure & Operations:
- Runways (number and length): Two runways; North-south (Runway 16/34) is 3,657metres ling and 60 metres wide. East-west runway (Runway09/27) is currently 2,286 meters long and 45metres wide.
- Slot Coordinated? Runway and terminal Slots allocated by our Planning and Performance Team.
- Operating hours: 24/7
- Terminals (Number, type and last major refurbishment): 4 terminals under a single precinct – International, 2 x domestic (Qantas and Virgin Australia) and 1 x low cost domestic (Jetstar and Tiger). Expansion of Terminal 4 was completed in 2015. Terminal 2 refurbishment including luxury precinct area completed in 2017.
- Min. connect time: 60 mins
- The future of Melbourne Airport is secure with the airport being able to grow to serve over 100m passengers.
- Our land bank is three times the size of Sydney and twice the size of London Heathrow.
Important infrastructure developments and/or other news
- Melbourne Airport is seeking to expand its runway system to a 3rd east-west runway which can support growth beyond 2038.
- Commencement of a dual- branded Hotel located in proximity to Terminal 4 that will include 464 hotel rooms to be completed in 2021.
- Commencement of the new taxiway network that will support wide body aircraft movements in both east-west and north-south directions.
- Commenced feasibility study into a Rail Link and a commitment from the Federal Government for funding.
- For more details see: Melbourne Airports Master Plan www.melbourneairport.com.au/Corporate/Planning-projects/Master-plan
- Passenger numbers 37.4 million year ending June 2019. 11.4 million International YOY growth up 5.3%, 25.9 million domestic YOY growth 0.4%
- Passenger mix: We have an equal mix of inbound and outbound passengers and strong Business, Leisure, MICE, VFR, and Tourism passenger profiles
- Australia’s only major airport that connects Domestic to International passengers under one-roof, with the lowest MCT in Australia and providing a superior passenger experience
- Freight: Over 30% of the nation’s air freight leaves from Melbourne Airport with 7 dedicated freighter services that operate out of Melbourne.
- Services 43 International destinations served by 36 International carriers