Other major reasons to serve this airport
- Marseille, 2nd French City in terms of inhabitants after Paris
- “The 2nd destination to visit after Rio de Janeiro” by the New York Times.
- “The 3rd highest employment growth rate among international cities between 2000 and 2015, by the OECD: “Aix-Marseille has improved its position in innovation and international appeal, and has been better resisting the crisis than the rest of European cities.”
- “The prestigious 2014 Urbanism Awards” by the Academy of Urbanism: “Marseille was the big winner, coming in just ahead of Istanbul and Malmo to walk away with the European City of the Year Award”.
- “European Capital of Culture” in 2013: Marseille-Provence registered a booming tourism activity with +26% visitors at the Marseille Tourism Board that summer!
- Best gateway to the famous region of Provence : welcome www.flyprovence.com/en/
- Largest French cruise port (and 5th in the Mediterranean) located only 15 minutes from the airport: More than 1.6 million cruise passengers in 2016
- A multimodal airport linked to the whole South-Eastern France by train and buses.
Marketing and other support
- Lowest airport charges (PDF file downloadable) amongst main French regional airports
- Attractive Incentive schemes for new routes: discount on airport charges and marketing support. For more information, please contact the route network development manager
- Now Additional Incentive Schemes for traffic development
- Marketing and communication tools for new routes (websites, newsletters, banners, billboards, press conferences, press trips, media plans…)
- Highly commended airport by the Routes Airport Marketing Awards in 2013
- Ideally situated at the heart of the Mediterranean basin, and at the intersection of Europe’s North/South and East/West axes, MRS is very well-served by motorways
- Excellent network of surface transportation with trains and buses desserving the whole South-Eastern France
- Low-cost parking (E-cheque parking): from 1.5€ per day
- Strong connecting flight opportunities to French Provinces and Corsica
- Catchment area:
- 60 min. Driving catchment area = 2.9 million inhabitants
- 120 min. Driving catchment area = 6.43 million inhabitants
- 180 min. Driving catchment area = 11.1 million inhabitants
Under-served freight opportunities and other economic impact factors
Besides all the benefits of being a major port city, some major corporations have made Marseille their home, generating important cargo flows including Airbus Helicopters and the world’s largest container ship operator CMA-CGM.
- 55,893 tons of cargo volume in 2016, MRS is France’s largest regional airport in express cargo volume (50,257 tons)
- Central Position for Cargo traffic in Western Mediterranean Basin (Complementarities Harbour/Airport for Cargo Transportation)
- Major Cargo Hub in Southern France with a strong network to North Africa
- Largest French cold storage facilities outside Paris.
- Worldwide Hub for drill manufacturing (scheduled freight services to Hassi Messaoud)
- MRS to become an Express Cargo Hub in the Western Mediterranean Basin (for the account of UPS, DHL, TNT)
For more information, please contact:
Tel: +33 4 42 14 27 88
- 25 minutes away from Marseille and Aix-en-Provence (motorways)
- Bus departure every 15 minutes to Marseille City
- Bus departure every 30 minutes to Aix-en-Provence
- Train station within MRS airport site : Easy access by regional train to/from the whole French Mediterranean Coast (from Montpellier to Nice and the French Riviera)
- 77 cities linked to MP airport with train facilities
Infrastructure & Operations
- Two independent runways: 3,500m and 2,700m available for simultaneous use (incl. 1 ILS – CAT 3)
- No slot constraints (largest non-coordinated French airport)
Two independent runways and the capacity to cater for up to 12m passengers in comfort without the need for further investment.
- Capacity: 30 movements/hour (current average 22 movements/hour) and ability to handle 12 million passengers without any new investment
- Open 24/7
- Excellent weather conditions
- 2 airports in 1: mp1 terminal: dedicated to legacy carriers and mp² terminal: dedicated to low cost carriers (opened in November 2006, 1st low cost terminal in Europe)
- Existing turnaround time in mp² = 25 min; in mp1 = 30 min.
- Business aviation dedicated terminal
- Car Park Area: 13,500 places
With over 100 existing direct routes, MRS has the critical mass and a balanced business-leisure mix.
- Pax traffic in 2016 : 8.5 million passengers (of which 2.1 million low cost passengers)
- Traffic breakdown: 41% national / 59% international
- Traffic breakdown: 66% outbound / 34% inbound
- Reasons for travel: 28% Business / 41% Leisure / 31% VFR
- 107 destinations and 35 scheduled carriers
- 21 new routes launched in 2017
- Freight = 55,893 tons carried in 2016