Other major reasons to serve this airport
London Southend Airport (LSA) offers the only significant, unrestricted market access to London for airlines either looking to operate into the UK capital for the first time, or for airlines looking to expand their London operations. As the newest of the London airports, LSA has substantial slot capacity available at ALL times of the day allowing access to the largest aviation market in the world.
- The population of the UK is set to be larger than France by 2035 and larger than Germany by 2045.
- London is the world’s largest travel market with over 170m passengers per annum - and it continues to grow every year.
- It is driven by population growth, economic growth and increased visitor numbers.
- London drives the UK economy with a GDP/head of 186% of the EU average.
- LSA has a frequent and fast train connection to London Stratford (45 mins) and London Liverpool Street (53 mins). The rail station is just 200 metres from the aircraft stands.
- LSA’s smart terminal provides quick access into/out of the airport allowing passengers to reach the train or plane in 20 minutes or less.
- Our catchment continues to grow each and every year with London expanding eastwards towards LSA. More and more passengers are discovering the secret that is easy and painless travel through our airport.
- LSA has slot capacity and plenty of it. You tell us the time you want to fly and we will provide the slot. Peak time slot capacity is AVAILABLE in London through LSA.
Marketing and other support
London Southend Airport is the fastest growing airport in London and we have achieved that by working hand in hand with our airline partners.
- Marketing information, catchment analysis and individual route analysis is available.
- We provide proactive marketing and communications support utilising our extensive market knowledge, contacts and skills to support new routes.
- All new routes are promoted via our web site and via social media channels. We also use our personalised database to inform potential passengers of the new service.
- We work with various partner organisations to ensure local market knowledge and to gain additional market intelligence as well as boosting the benefits of marketing spend.
- We will work with you to provide commercial charges support in the early periods of your growth.
The London Southend Catchment is currently 8.2m people and growing. On average, passengers take five journeys a year creating 40m+ total journey opportunities from our catchment.
Using analysis of aggregated mobile phone data, we have been able to identify on a route by route basis, actual passenger demand from our catchment to a large number of destinations. In addition, we have been able to use postcode booking data to show how our catchment is growing into the centre of London which is accessible via direct train link from the airport’s dedicated rail station.
Under-served freight opportunities and other economic impact factors
Freight operations are not a major focus for LSA however we will of course be happy to discuss requirements on request.
- Direct rail connection to London’s Liverpool St station in 53 minutes (Central/Circle, Hammersmith & City, Metropolitan tube lines/London Overground).
- Direct rail to Stratford in 45 minutes (Jubilee tube & Central tube lines/DLR/London Overground).
- Approx. 30 minute drive to London’s M25 orbital motorway (Junction 29 and 30).
- Approx. 40 miles to the City of London by road.
Infrastructure & Operations
- Runway(s): One runway 1,856m x 36m (1,799m TODA)
- Slot Coordinated: No
- Operating hours: 06.30-23.00 for scheduled operations
- Terminals: One terminal. Terminal extension completed in 2014. Further expansion has been approved with works likely to commence late 2018
- Min connect time: 40 mins
Important infrastructure developments and/or other news
- Permissions for a further extension of the airport terminal building have been granted with works likely to commence in late 2018. This work allows for new HBS (Hold Baggage Screening) facilities, and reconfiguration of passenger baggage reclaim areas to provide greater flexibility between international and domestic operations.
- A remote de-icing facility was completed in early 2018 allowing for greater airfield efficiency during extended periods of poor weather.
- A project to upgraded AGL (Airfield Ground Lighting) was completed in early spring 2018.
- A new private jet centre facility (Stobart Jet Centre) was opened in January 2018.
- Flybe commenced operations to Antwerp in March 2018 (now operating 15 routes).
- Operations by Air Malta and Loganair will commence in May and June 2018 respectively.
- easyJet will commence operations to Bordeaux, Pula, Zadar and Prague in July 2018.
- Passenger numbers: 1.1 million (+25% YoY), 98% scheduled/2% charter
- Freight: approx. 200 tonnes / year
- Largest carrier: easyJet