Other major reasons to serve this airport
- Competitive airport charges.
- Volcanic island that is a major tourism destination for sun & beaches, nature and sports.
- UNESCO Biosphere Reserve since 1993 with 12 protected natural areas.
- Oenology tourism with five different vineyards.
- Strong interest of local authorities in opening new routes.
Marketing and other support
- Incentives are available in the Spanish airports in 2013:
- New route incentive: 50% discount in the passenger and security charges during the first year of operation of the new route to a new destinations and 25% discount on the second year.
- Off-Peak day incentive: 50% discount on the landing & passenger charges for the operation at the Canary Island Airports during off-peak days.
- Transfer incentive: 20% discount on the passenger & security charges for the passengers in connecting flights.
- PR support for new routes such as:
- Opening flight ceremony: a press release, water cannon salute at the opening flight.
- Promotional discounts: Discount at the airport’s parking for the passengers of the new route, discounts at participating airport food & beverage points, discount at the airport´s VIP lounge for the passengers of the route
- Promotion of the new route: Promotion of the new route at Aena’s web page, social networks…
- Publicity at the airport: Space at the airport for publicity
- For further information, please contact email@example.com
- Possible cooperation from the Spanish Tourism Board (Tourspain): firstname.lastname@example.org
- Market information: statistics & market analysis on request at email@example.com
- To contact the local authorities, please go to http://www.turismolanzarote.com/
- 60 min catchment area: 140,000
- 90 min catchment area: 244,000
Under-served freight opportunities and other economic impact factors
- For freight opportunities go to: http://www.aena-aeropuertos.es/csee/Satellite/comercial/en/Page/1237559484370/Air-cargo.html
- For further information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- ATTRACTIVE FISCAL AND ECONOMIC INCENTIVES, the island’s “special status” within the European Union permits it to have reduced direct and indirect taxation as well as various fiscal incentives and economic aid for business investment:
- Reduced Taxation
- Canary Islands Special Zone (ZEC). A low Corporation Tax Zone (4%) that promotes the establishment of new businesses, conditional upon minimum levels of investment and job creation.
- Discount for production of tangible assets. An incentive that offers a 50% reduction on tax liability on profits attributed, to production and industrial activities.
- Canary Islands General Indirect Tax. A tax that is similar to VAT but specific to the Canary Islands and with lower applicable rates. The general rate is 5%.
- Special taxes. The taxes on fuels, alcoholic drinks, and certain types of transport are significantly lower than those in the rest of the European Union.
- Lanzarote airport is 5 kilometres. from Arrecife, the island’s capital city, between the city limits of San Bartolomé and Tías.
- Access to the airport from the Arrecife-Yaiza (LZ-2) motorway.
- Line 22: Airport-Arrecife
- Line 23: Arrecife-Airport-Playa Honda
- Line 61: Playa Blanca-Airport
Infrastructure & Operations:
- Runways: 1 runway (2,400 metres)
- Slot Coordinated: Coordinated.
- Operating hours: Summer 06:00 – 00:00 and Winter 07:00 – 01:00 hours
- Terminals: T1 (domestic and international flights) and T2 (inter-island flights).
- AIP: http://www.aena.es/csee/Satellite/navegacion-aerea/en/Page/1078418725163/?other=1083158950596&other2=1083857758719#ancla325
Important infrastructure developments and/or other news
Look for more regional information at:
- Canary Island government
- Lanzarote Tourist Board
- Timanfaya National Park
- Tourism in Spain
- Lanzarote data & statistics
- Passengers (commercial): 1,688,854 domestic pax; 3,392,824 international pax.
- Air Transport Movements: 72.8% scheduled flights; 27.2% charter flights.
- Freight: 2,108 tons.
- Largest carriers (Top 10): Ryanair, Iberia+Iberia Express, Vueling, easyJet, AirEuropa, airberlin, Air Nostrum, Binter+Naysa, Thomson Airways.