Other major reasons to serve this airport
- KMG is expecting nearly 30 million passengers in 2013, including nearly 2 million international pax, with annual growth rates over 25% and 30% respectively.
- KMG is the gateway to numerous hot tourist destinations and rich ethnic minority cultures in Yunnan, including but not limited to the mysterious Shangri-la, and 4 UNESCO natural and cultural heritages, namely Lijiang Old Town, Stone Forest, Three Parallel Rivers of Yunnan Protected Areas and Honghe Hani Rice Terraces.
- Kunming city with population of 6.5m and GDP of RMB301 billion, or approximately $50 billion. Yunnan Province with a population of 47 million, GDP RMB1030.98 billion, approximately $169 billion.
- Nice weather, clear sky most of the time in a year, pleasant temperature all year around, Kunming city is nick-named ‘Spring City’ in China.
- Nice Golf resorts, including Spring City Golf Club, which is amongst the best in South East Asia, and high quality hot spring resorts.
- 24 domestic, 10 international and 5 special zone carriers offering 225 scheduled routes, from KMG to 91 domestic, 26 international and 4 special zone cities. High flight frequencies with all major cities in China.
- Luosiwan Small Commodity Centre is the largest small commodity whole sale market in Southwest China.
Marketing and other support
- Incentive scheme available for new international routes up to 3 years.
- New route promotion through KMG multimedia, online and offline platforms available.
- Inaugural ceremony support by airport authority.
- For new international, especially direct inter-continental, routes, financial support from local government can be discussed.
- Marketing support available from airport authority and local tourism administrative authority through co-ordination with local tourist agencies.
- 60 min catchment area, downtown Kunming city, as the capital city of Yunnan Province, with over 6 million dwellers. By Air, Chengdu, Guiyang, Chongqiong and 11 regional airports under Yunnan Airport Group.
- 120 min catchment area, the entire Kunming Municipal Region, Yuxi, Chuxiong and Qujing, with population over 17million. By air, Xi’an, Wuhan, Guangzhou and Haikou, in China, and Bangkok, Vientiane, Luang Prabang, Mandalay, Chiang Mai, Hanoi, Phnom Penh in Southeast Asia.
Under-served freight opportunities and other economic impact factors
- The largest flora market in China including the only international flower auction centre in China, exporting to over 40 countries around the world.
- Major high-end agricultural products include Truffles, matsutake, and fresh water trout.
- The largest 4 tobacco companies in China located within 120 min. catchment area.
- Major bio and pharmaceutical production base in China.
- Pan-Asia railway and expressway with Southeast Asia region is under way. After which, Kunming city will become a key conjunction point with inland China.
- 24.5 km northeast to downtown Kunming, with expressway and light-rail link;
- 2 shuttle bus services all at 15 min. interval;
- Taxi service available;
- 3,800 parking lots for private cars and buses.
Infrastructure & Operations
- Runways: 2 Parallel runways capable of independent operations: East Runway: 03/21, 4,500m X 60m, ILS CAT. I; West Runway: 03/21 4,000m X 60m, ILS CAT.I. ICAO Code: 4F, handling A380 of China Southern from July 2013.
- Slot Coordinated?: Yes, current daily flight cap. at 820, additional slots are available, priority will be granted to new international routes.
- Operating hours: 24hrs.
- Terminals: T1 with 548,000m2, 68 aero-bridges (additional 41 remote A/C stands available), 160 check-in counters, 24 self check-in kiosks.
- Min. connect time: 75min.
Important infrastructure developments and/or other news
- Additional A/C stands will be built in recent months.
- Runway upgrading to ILS CAT II underway.
- Reconfiguration and expansion of terminal commercial & retail space underway.
- Phase II expansion includes building additional 2 runways, new remote terminal for handling ultimate annual pax traffic over 80 million, and new cargo terminal dedicated to freighters.
- Passenger numbers (Commentary on domestic/international; scheduled/charter; business/leisure/transfer would also be useful here): In 2012, 23,982,603 pax and 200,340 traffic movements were achieved at KMG, ranked the 7th largest in China by pax handled, and the 60th in the world according to ACI 2012 preliminary ranking. KMG is expecting 30,000,000 annual pax traffic in 2013, including nearly 2 million international pax, with annual growth rates over 25% and 30% respectively, according to statistics by the end of October 2013.
- Freight: In 2012, 262,286.9 tonnes of cargo were handled. KMG is expecting 280,000 tonnes of cargo handled in 2013, with annual growth rate around 12%, according to statistics by the end of October 2013.
- Largest carrier: China Eastern (MU, 43.1%), Lucky Air (8L, 12.4%), China Southern (CZ, 10%), Kunming Airline (KY, 6.9%)
- Other relevant Vital statistics…
- Airport charges: (link) Airport Charges are the same as all other airports in China as stipulated by CAAC, however incentives are available by Yunnan Airport Group. Key incentives for international routes are as below:
(including fees for landing, A/C parking, pax service, security screening)
|New Routes||New inter-continental routes||Full exemption for 3 years.|
|New or re-opening int’l direct route(s) or direct routes from SARs and Taiwan with no direct link previously.||Full exemption for Year One.
Year Two, 50% off.
Year Three, 20% off.
From Year Four, charged at normal rates.
|New entrant starting int’l routes from overseas cities or cities from SARs and Taiwan|
|Starting freighter route(s)|
|New int’l freight charter(s)||Full exemption for Year One.
From Year Two, charged at normal rates.
|New inter-continental route(s) stopover PEK, Shanghai airports and CAN|
|New Int’l routes from domestic cities stop-over KMG||Full exemption for Year One.
Year Two exemption from landing charges.
From Year Three, charged at normal rates.