Other destinations required:
|Annual market from Helsinki to USA was 314 000 passengers in 2009. The main destinations for the indirect routes are NYC, MIA,SFO and ORD. Currently HEL has only one direct connection to the US (JFK). Around 40% of the demand is from the USA and the rest from Finland.|
|Helsinki offers a smooth route to Eastern European and Russian markets. Helsinki is on the flight path between the US and major Russian economic centers such as St. Petersburg and Moscow.|
|Thanks to its geographical location, Helsinki Airport is on the shortest route between Europe and Asia. With over 10 direct destinations, it has the most destinations to Asia from Northern Europe. Main destination is Bangkok but other destinations are steadily growing.Kuala Lumpur is one of the unserved Asian destination to which Helsinki would cater the smoothest connection.|
Other Major reasons to serve this airport
- Straightest route from Europe to Asia via Helsinki Airport. The Via Helsinki service concept guarantees a swift and smooth journey. www.viahelsinki.com
- HEL is the hub for Finland’s 5.3 million population and gateway to the other 24 airports in Finland. The majority of population is packed into southern Finland, so the total catchment area consists of 3.5 million inhabitants. www.locationguide.fi
- Helsinki Airport has competitive pricing http://www.finavia.fi/airlines/Terms_and_conditions_and_airport_charges
- No queuing for slots. Please visit www.online-coordination.com and www.helslot.fi for available slots.
- Third party handling services at competitive prices. There are several handling agents to choose from: http://www.finavia.fi/ground_handling_services
- Minimum connecting time in Helsinki is 35 minutes for int/int and dom/int
- Free of charge use of self service check-in kiosks
- Passenger distribution: 52% business, 38% leisure, 10% VFR
- Helsinki Airport has been “a green approach airport” already for years. 60% of current flights can benefit from CDA concept and the number is increasing.
- Helsinki Airport is known for the high quality and reliability of its modern services. We have been ranked at the top of the league in Europe in passenger surveys (ASQ) for 10 years running.
- Helsinki city centre is only 30 minutes from HEL: The Airport buses run every 10 minutes from early morning to late night seven days a week.
- The Helsinki area is the region in Finland which global corporations usually choose for their headquarters. Nokia, Kone, TietoEnator and Neste Oil, just to name few of them.
Marketing and other support
Finavia works actively to support airlines in opening new routes to Finland and thus stimulate air traffic. We share risk with our customers upon establishing new routes by:
- Providing incentives for new routes with an open and equal policy;
- Promoting new air services at all Finavia Airports;
- Supporting airlines with business cases and joint promotions;
- Working together with the Tourist Authorities to facilitate co-operation
Please check our promotion policy.
Helsinki Region and Finland
Finavia works in close co-operation with the following organisations, which are keen to contribute to your route development and make it successful:
- Visit Finland by MEK
MEK supports tourism industry businesses and groups in developing and marketing tourism services for the international market.
- Visit Helsinki
Helsinki City Tourist & Convention Bureau markets Helsinki as a travel destination and develops travel services with local businesses. It also represents Helsinki at international travel fairs and organises familiarisation tours for travel organisers and media representatives.
- Greater Helsinki Promotion
A publicly funded company supporting international professionals and companies by promoting all that the region has to offer.
- Invest in Finland
Invest in Finland offers a full set of professional, hands-on investment services that are always tailored according to your specific needs. The services cover every stage of setting up a business in Finland, ranging from initial data collection and opportunity analysis to networking and the actual business launch.
- 3.5 million Inhabitants within 2 hours
- Access to Baltic and St. Petersburg
- St. Petersburg metropolitan area 5 million
- 28 weekly flights from LED
- Railway and bus connections to to Helsinki Airport
Under-served freight opportunities and other economic impact factors
- For more information about freight traffic please visit our website, or contact our route development team.
- Helsinki Airport is located in the middle of traffic streams. Via Helsinki is the shortest route between Asia-Europe / India-USA and thus the fastest connections.
Infrastructure & Operations:
- Runways: 3:
- No. 1: 3440 m
- No. 2: 2900 m
- No. 3: 3000 m
- Slot Coordinated: Yes. E-mail for slot requests or visit www.helslot.fi for further information
- Operating hours: 24/7, 365 days
- In Helsinki Airport everything is under a single roof. The airport is a compact and transferring is easy and efficient. There are no terminal transfer e.g. by bus or train and the distances between gates are short.
- Min. connect time: 35 minutes for both international and domestic flights
- Total passengers 2012: 14.9 million
- International passengers: 12.2 million
- Domestic passengers: 2.7 million
- Passenger distribution: business 38.4 %, leisure 47.1 %, VFR 15.4 %
- Source: Finavia air traffic statistics 2012
- Freight: 170 000 tons. Grand total all airports freight and mail 159 168 tons
- Largest carrier: Finnair
- Further statistics