Other major reasons to serve this airport
- Gateway to Australia’s premier tourist destination.
- 52 km of pristine coastline featuring 21 sandy beaches.
- Access to Australia’s theme park capital.
- Access to World Heritage listed national parks, rainforests and hinterlands.
- Winner of Best Regional Airport Australia/Pacific – 2017 Skytrax Awards.
- Gold Coast – Home of the 2018 Commonwealth Games
- Potential New Routes include those from South East Asia, North Asia, Pacific and West Coast US.
Marketing/and other support
- Strong relationships with government and tourism stakeholders.
- Marketing budget to support and sustain new routes.
- Efficient airport and freight operations.
Airport Catchment area
- 30-minute catchment area – 600,000:
- World famous Surfers Paradise, pristine beaches, world class surfing breaks, wildlife sanctuary, family friendly holiday beach suburbs, restaurants, retail shopping centres and five major theme parks.
- 60-minute catchment area – 2.8 million:
- Rainforests, national parks, Byron Bay and Northern New South Wales; Brisbane (Queensland State Capital City).
- 120-minute catchment area – 3 million:
- includes Sunshine Coast and Noosa Heads Beach destinations to the north; Toowoomba – Queensland’s largest inland city; Ballina and Lismore to the South in Northern New South Wales
Under-served freight opportunities and other economic impact factors
Coast Cargo – freight handler servicing local high-yield farm products and seafood.
Can tranship imported goods to Sydney or Melbourne.
The airport is located in south-east Queensland, Australia. Gold Coast is situated on the coastline, stretching for 57 km down to Northern New South Wales. Gold Coast Airport is 30 minutes from the central tourist locations of Surfers Paradise and Broadbeach. It is also just five minutes from the southern tourism location of Coolangatta. In addition, the airport is conveniently located for visitors to Tweed Heads (10 minutes away) and Byron Bay and Northern New South Wales (30 minutes away).
Infrastructure & Operations
- Runway(s): One (2,492 m).
- Slot Coordinated: No.
- Operating hours: 0600-2300.
- Terminal 1 – domestic & international flights – last major refurbishment, 2010.
- Terminal 2 – regional flights – last major upgrade 2007.
- Minimum connect time: five minutes.
- Other relevant Infrastructure & Operations details:
- Over 420 flights per week to all major destinations in Australia and New Zealand, Japan, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur and Hong Kong. Gold Coast also has a general aviation area with FBO, aircraft charter and rentals, flight training schools and freight forwarders. There is also a private university Southern Cross University – located in the airport precinct.
Important infrastructure developments and/or other news
- Gold Coast Airport has commenced work on its Project LIFT development which will increase the capacity of the airport’s apron and terminal to meet future demand. The airport’s expanded apron will be complete by the Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games, facilitating parking for up to four additional narrow body aircraft, while building works on a three-level terminal expansion to the south of the current facility will commence after the Games and be complete by early 2020.
- The airport is also installing an ILS which will provide guidance to pilots when landing in low visibility conditions, reducing flight delays and diversions. The ILS will be operational by late 2018.
- As part of the airport’s broader property strategy, there are also plans to construct a four-star Rydges Hotel in the airport precinct in 2019. It will include 192 rooms and suites with a roof-top bar, restaurant, resort-style swimming pool and substantial function, conference and meeting facilities.
- To stay up to date with the latest news at Gold Coast Airport, visit: www.goldcoastairport.com.au/latest-news.
- Passenger numbers: Welcoming over 6.4 million passengers per annum.
- Largest carrier: Jetstar Airways.
- Other carriers include: Virgin Australia, Air New Zealand, Tigerair, AirAsia, Scoot, Qantas, JetGo, Hong Kong Airlines.