Major reasons to serve this airport
- As Scotland’s largest city Glasgow is well placed to support outbound traffic on a year round basis thanks to its large population and economic prominence. Given that Glasgow is well positioned to enjoy all of Scotland’s stunning scenery
- Glasgow has an international reputation for being an event city and was proud to host the 2014 Commonwealth Games. The Ryder Cup Opening Gala also took place in the city. These landmark events have spawned a whole host of international conferences and events since choosing Glasgow as their event location. In 2018 Glasgow also co-hosts the European Sports Championships with the city of Berlin.
Marketing and other support
We also strive to offer ongoing tailored marketing solutions for all of our client airlines utilising key airport channels, such as those listed below, alongside the joint marketing support from Visit Scotland and the city marketing bureau.
Airport marketing channels:
- Dedicated Scottish based Travel Trade Manager
- Dedicated Scottish travel trade databases
- Large, easily segment able passenger database
- Print and digital airport magazine
- Partnership marketing with local press and radio stations
- Advertising opportunities within airport-city express bus
- Messaging within terminal on screens
- Option to join the airport led destination campaigns
to extend the city’s current conference and event facilities, the new 12,000 seater SSE Hydro Arena opened in 2014 offering Scotland’s largest event space. Extensive 24hr bus, coach and rail services facilitate the short 8 mile trip from the city to the airport.
Airport Catchment area
Glasgow Airport has the largest catchment area in Scotland and this position is cemented by the recent road infrastructure projects which have improved access times to the airport.
Glasgow Airport is the only airport in Scotland with its own motorway slip road direct to the airport entry point which makes access quick and simple. Furthermore the recent completion of the M74 and M80 motorway upgrades has reduced journey times for passengers living in north and Central Scotland plus the north of England leading to a wider catchment area and more people choosing to fly from Glasgow Airport.
- 30 min radius: 1.6 million people
- 60 min radius: 2.7 million people
- 120 min radius: 4.4 million people
- 150 min radius: 5.2 million people
Under-served freight opportunities and other economic impact factors
- Servisair Cargo and Menzies Cargo have operations at Glasgow plus in Greater Glasgow there are over 50 freight forwarders
- Glasgow Airport has excellent motorway connections from North England, Central & Northern Scotland
- Cargo facilities with access to airside areas
- In terms of demand Greater Glasgow is the hub of engineering, renewable energy, whisky and seafood in Scotland, these are the businesses who are generating demand for cargo services currently.
- A unique point of difference is the planned introduction of a Government Border Inspection Post at Glasgow Airport, when introduced this will be the only one in Scotland. This facility will make the import of animal products for human and non human consumption in to Scotland a much simpler process as currently these products would need to land in the south of England for screening and transported from there.
Please contact Glasgow Airport for further detailed information. Steven Marshall