Other major reasons to serve this airport
- International City:
- 29 major intergovernmental organizations
- 250 non-governmental organizations
- 30 sports federations.
- Diplomatic Capital:
- 242 missions, permanent representatives and delegations
- 40,000 diplomats and international civil servants
- 3,000 visits by head of states, ministers and other officials
- 2,700 meetings and international conferences
- 173,000 delegates and experts attending.
- Financial Center:
- Birthplace and capital of international asset management
- More than 6,300 firms (banks, independent asset managers, financial intermediaries, insurance companies, etc.) represent the sector and employ 35,600 persons.
- World Trading Capital:
- 1st in commodity trading (1/2 of world trade in coffee, ½ of world trade in sugar); in finance of commodity trading as well as in inspection and certification.
- 500 companies with activities related to trading and shipping employs 8,000 persons and generates a turnover of CHF 800 billion.
- Annual growth rate of 5%.
- Generates 2.5% of the total Swiss GDP.
- Education & Research:
- Switzerland is one of the leading countries for the quality of its education, research and technologies thanks to its universities and research institutions.
- Institutions located in Geneva region: University of Geneva, IMD, EPFL, HUG, Webster University, Cern, etc.
- Thanks to its geographical location, Genève Aéroport is also perfectly positioned to cater for vast touristic demands. The Alps and Jura skiing regions make up the largest ski area in the world and more than 200 ski resorts are located within less than 3 hours’ drive of Genève.
- Many Swiss global leaders are located within the airport catchment area (Rolex, Firmenich, Nestlé, etc.)
Marketing and other support
Genève Aéroport offers marketing support and incentives for new airlines serving the airport.
- Marketing Support:
- Exploratory phase: Airport cost analysis; route feasibility studies, market research and statistics; administrative support; etc.
- Launching support: PR and events; airport advertising; e-marketing; marketing and sales support; etc.
- Long-term commercial support: Follow-up of commercial and traffic results; e-marketing; marketing and sales support; etc.
- Commercial incentives:
- Discount for new destinations: Based on landing fees (conditions: new destination for airport and not operated during 12 months; scheduled flight and year-round; applicable only to landing fees not to surcharges and ATC).
Short-haul routes Long-haul routes Periods
(6 months each)
(1 year each)
Rebate 1st period 80% 1st period 80% 2nd period 60% 2nd period 60% 3rd period 40% 3rd period 40% 4th period 20% 4th period 20%
- Airlines are rewarded for the traffic growth they generate. Growth is calculated on a yearly basis (from January to December) and a refund based on the passenger service charge (PSC) collected during the period (12.50 CHF per pax) is applicable. The current policy is valid for 2016, subject to approval in following years.
Refund ≥ 5% 3.5% ≥ 7.5% 4.75% ≥ 10% 6% ≥ 15% 10% ≥ 20% 15% ≥ 25% 20%
The large catchment area of Genève Aéroport covers 3 different countries – Switzerland, France and Italy.
It presents the highest concentration of international organizations and multinational companies and enables access to major touristic areas within 2 hours.
- 60 min:
- Switzerland: 1 million people
- France: 1 million people
- 120 min:
- Switzerland: 2.4 million people
- France/Italy: 3.6 million people
Under-served freight opportunities and other economic impact factors
- Cargo complex equipped with all modern facilities:
- Handling capacity of 80,000 tons/year
- Swiss and French customs (intra-European customs clearing possibilities)
- Strong rooms for valuables (650 m2)
- 40 forwarders within the airport
- High security level
- Fast consignment (average 90 min.)
- Warehouse: 24,000 m2
- Refrigerated rooms (perishables and medicines)
- Handling room for radioactive goods
- Heated storerooms during the winter
- Airfreight opportunities:
- World-class watchmakers – including the likes of Rolex and Richemont Group (Cartier) – are headquartered in Genève
- Important biomedical industry
- World leaders of industrial flavours
- Wafering industry for solar cells
- Genève Aéroport is located just 5 km from Geneva city and is truly multi-modal airport with an easy access by:
- Rail: train station within the airport; connected to regional and international networks (170 trains/day); 6 min to reach Geneva city center.
- Public transportations: 6 bus city lines; efficient taxi service and hotel shuttles; shuttle to Chambéry and Grenoble.
- Road: connected to Swiss and French highway networks.
Infrastructure & Operations
- Runways: A single 3,900m concrete runway (ILS cat. III) with an hourly capacity of 36 aircraft movements and a 700m grass landing strip.
- Terminals: 1 main terminal
- Aircraft positions: 55 aircraft parking positions linked to an underground fuel hydrant system
- Slot coordination: Genève Aéroport is a Level 3 slot coordinated airport
- Operating hours: Arrivals from 06.00 to 00.00, departures from 06.00 to 22.00.
Important infrastructure developments and/or other news
- Masterplan 2nd stage: New “East Wing”:
- New dedicated wide-body terminal under design by Rogers Stirk Harbour + Partners (LHR-Terminal 5; MAD-Terminal 4)
- Total investment of EUR 270 million
- 530 m long and 40,000 sqm of useful surface
- 6 stands for wide-body aircrafts + 1 narrow-body (or mixed utilization with more stands)
- Flexibility Schengen/Non Schengen
- Route network:
- 142 scheduled destinations
- 59 scheduled airlines serving 4 continents
- Passengers traffic:
- 15.8 million passengers in 2015 (+4.1% compared to 2014)
- Business passengers and professional trips: 26%
- Leisure: 59%
- Family and personal trips: 15%
- Total movements in 2015: 188,829 (+0.7%)
- Air freight traffic:
- 70,418 tons in 2015
- Airline market shares by December 2015:
- EasyJet: 43.2%
- Swiss: 15%
- British Airways: 4.7%
- Air France: 4.6%
- Lufthansa: 3.8%
- Current low-cost carrier market share in Genève Aéroport is around 45%
- Largest carrier in Genève Aéroport: EasyJet