Other Major reasons to serve this airport
- Faro airport is the only international airport serving the South of Portugal (Algarve) and the Southwest coast of Spain.
- Since it’s opening in July of 1965, Faro airport has become one of the leading leisure airports in Portugal, processing over 5, 6 million passengers in 2011 from over 70 destinations across Europe.
- The Algarve is one of Europe’s top tourist destinations offering miles of sandy beaches, a vibrant nightlife, award wining golf courses, and a unique gastronomy. The Algarve also offers a wide selection of 4 and 5 star hotels and Spas, sports training centres and conference halls to cater for all needs.
- Due to its favourable all year round climate and excellent natural, social and cultural conditions, the Algarve is a popular second home location for many frequent visitors.
Marketing and other support
- Reward systems for airlines and tour operators that achieve high levels of performance on new and underserved routes.
- Tailor-made PR and communication support for route launches and carefully planned marketing support for ad-hoc initiatives.
- Market analysis and statistics available on request.
- Detailed information concerning services offered at Faro airport, air traffic data, passenger profiles, airport brand and much more is available to airlines at http://routelab.ana.pt
- Easily accessible by car and close to the city’s train station, over 395.000 inhabitants live within 60 minutes of Faro Airport.
- Beyond the Spanish border lies the Huelva region which together with the Algarve increases the catchment area to 541.000 inhabitants.
- An extended catchment area of between 60 and 180 minutes increases the range to 1.286.360 inhabitants (949.670 Portuguese and 336.690 Spanish).
- With a year-round mild climate the Algarve offers you some of Europe’s most beautiful beaches, appealing cultural traditions and an unforgettable traditional cuisine. The Algarve is also a top European golfing destination, favoured among golfers from all over the world.
- The region also offers ideal conditions for hosting meetings, incentives, congresses and events all year around. A number of meetings & banqueting venues, conferences & exhibition services are available and frequently promoted abroad through the Algarve Promotion Bureau.
Under-served freight opportunities and other economic impact factors
Directly impacted by the Algarve tourism destination the following brands have an important economic impact:
- Algarve International Racetrack
- PGA Portugal – organizes and develops golf for the Algarve bringing world class players to the region.
- International Gourmet Festival – Held every year at 2 Michelin Star restaurant Vila Joya.
- Vitacress – major producer in the Algarve
- Sir Cliff Richards Winery, were his famous Vida Nova wine is produced.
- Quinta dos Vales Winery
- Quinta do Barranco Longo Winery
- Quinta do Francês winery
- Quinta do Freixo – Producers of liquors, jams and compotes.
- Marisol – Sea Salt producers of the Algarve
- GPS position: 37º 00’52” N / 007º 57′ 57” W
- Faro airport is located in the South-Western point of Europe, in a privileged location between Northern and Central Europe and the Northeast coast of Africa.
- 6 Km from Faro city centre within easy access by taxi or bus.
- Close to the A22 highway, with connections throughout the Algarve and direct to Lisbon and Spain.
Infrastructure & Operations:
- 1 Runway 2610×150
- 22 Stands (21 remote)
- 24 ATM per hour (arr+dep)
- Operating hours: 06h00 to 24h00
- Slot coordinated airport during IATA Summer seasons
- Single terminal 68.500m2 with 60 check-in desks and 36 boarding gates
- 100% hold baggage screening
- Full baggage tracing
- Processing of golf bags as regular baggage
- Maximum passenger flow capacity p/ year: 6.000.000 pax
- Maximum passenger flow capacity p/hour: 2.400 pax
- Rescue and Fire Fighting Services (RFFS): RFFS category 8 (9 available with 72H prior notice)
- Ground handling services: 1 (Portway)
- Separate Schengen and non-Schengen arrival areas
Important infrastructure developments and/or other news
- Since its opening in 1966 Faro airport has had 2 major developments: The opening of the new passenger terminal building in 1989 and its enlargement in 2001.
- The new development plan 2009-2013 has already begun. Faced with growing traffic demand and passenger safety and satisfaction needs, over the next 4 years Faro airport will undergo extensive improvements to runway and infrastructure as well as a wide-spread renovation of the airport terminal and commercial areas, namely:
- Increase of aircraft parking capacity from 22 to 33 positions, which will increase ATM’s from 22 to 30 per hour and passenger flow from 2400 to 3000 mov/h.
- Increase operational safety.
- Increase of airport capacity from 6 million to 8 million passengers per year.
- Functional and architectural modernization of the airport terminal
- Renovation and expansion of commercial areas.
- 23 schedule airlines (14 LCC´s) and 34 charter airlines fly from Faro to over 70 destinations in Europe.
- Total passengers 2011: 5.6MI (+5.1%)
- Aircraft Movements 2011: 44.878 (+0.7%)
- Share of passengers in 2011:
- LCC: 76.9% (+2%)
- FSC: 10.7% (+35%)
- Charter: 12.3% (-16%)
- Largest carriers: Ryanair, EasyJet, Monarch, Transavia, TAP Portugal
Detailed information concerning Faro airport charges and other information is available to airlines at http://routelab.ana.pt