Other Major reasons to serve this airport
- Faro airport is the only international airport serving the South of Portugal (Algarve) and the Southwest coast of Spain.
- Since it’s opening in July of 1965, Faro airport has become one of the leading leisure airports in Portugal, processing over 5, 6 million passengers in 2011 from over 70 destinations across Europe.
- The Algarve is one of Europe’s top tourist destinations offering miles of sandy beaches, a vibrant nightlife, award wining golf courses, and a unique gastronomy. The Algarve also offers a wide selection of 4 and 5 star hotels and Spas, sports training centres and conference halls to cater for all needs.
- Due to its favourable all year round climate and excellent natural, social and cultural conditions, the Algarve is a popular second home location for many frequent visitors.
- The region boasts of 112.445 beds in the Algarve and 19 639 in Huelva region (Spain)
- More than 300 days of sunshine
- 130 Beaches with clear waters – 88 awarded FEE’s Blue Flag Certifications
- A unique destination for family holidays, the Algarve offers numerous thematic parks and Aquatic slide parks (Aquatic& Sea life Parks)
- Known for Algarve’s Traditional and Gourmet Cuisine, numerous restaurants have been distinguished with Michelin Stars
- In recent years the Algarve started to revitalize the wine sector which is a growing tendency to become a premium product for the region. In 2013 the Algarve won 25 International Awards.
- 12 Full health and wellness resorts
- 40 Golf Courses in the Algarve and 10 in Huelva
- Cycling & Walking certified routes
- Algarve International Motor Park – Training and Racetrack offers a fully equipped training facilities for training camps, high intensity training and completion, in 2015 The Algarve received over 100 major events
- The investment of the last few years in modern multifunctional centers reinforced the region as a key destination for Corporate Events, and a European Key destination for business tourism.
Marketing and other support
With the aim of improving the relationship with our business partners, Faro airport offers a wide range of marketing solutions and support:
- Reward systems for airlines and tour operators that achieve high levels of performance on new and underserved routes.
- Tailor-made PR and communication support for route launches and carefully planned marketing support for ad-hoc initiatives.
- Market analysis and statistics available on request, quarterly report sent to Faro Airport top 10 Airlines.
- Detailed information concerning services offered at Faro airport, air traffic data, passenger profiles, airport brand and much more is available to airlines at http://routelab.ana.pt
- Famous for providing access to the Algarve, Faro Airport is the number one gateway for accessing the Algarve and Huelva (Spain) regions.
- Since it’s opening in July of 1965, Faro airport has become one of the leading leisure airports in Portugal, processing over 6 million passengers from over 70 destinations across Europe.
- The Algarve is one of Europe’s top tourist destinations offering a diversified landscape, miles of beautiful sandy beaches, a vibrant nightlife, a top award winning European golf courses, favored among golfers from all over the world. The Algarve’s appealing cultural traditions offers a unique traditional gastronomy, influenced by the Mediterranean diet.
- Due to its favorable all year round climate and excellent natural, social and cultural conditions, the Algarve is a popular second home for many frequent visitors, and retirees.
- The Algarve also offers a wide selection of 4 and 5 star hotels, Spas& Wellness, sports training centers and modern conference halls.
- With a year-round mild climate and location, the Algarve offers the best conditions for all active sports- Cycling and Walking, Surf and Nautical sports as well as Birdwatching. Surrounded by the Atlantic Ocean, making Surf and other nautical and active sports is also of the favorite reason for our passengers to visit the Algarve. With a very diverse ecosystem and several prime locations to Birdwatching bird, with more than 300 different species and 50 very rare the Algarve is a very appreciated for over than 100 M estimated birdwatchers in the world. With modern multi-purpose centers, The Algarve is also fast becoming a key destination for corporate events.
Under-served freight opportunities and other economic impact factors
Directly impacted by the Algarve tourism destination the following brands have an important economic impact:
- Access to the famous European Leisure Destinations- Algarve & Huelva
- Algarve International Racetrack
- FIM EWC- Endurance World Championship
- Portugal Masters organized by the European Tour
- Spanish F4 Championship
- Algarve Classic Car Festival
- European Karting Championship
- World Golf Wards
- World Travel Awards
- Mercedes Benz
- Vila Joya’s International Gourmet Festival
- Algarve Chef’s Week
- The Sardine Festival
- The sweet potatoes festival
- The Algarve SPA week
- Bird Watching Algarve Festival
- The Algarve International Racetrack
- Europe’s Leading Beach Destination 2013, 2015
- 88 Beaches in the Algarve awarded FEE’s Blue Fag in 2016
- Vitacress – major producer in the Algarve
- Sir Cliff Richards Winery, were his famous Vida Nova wine is produced.
- Quinta dos Vales Winery
- Quinta do Barranco Longo Winery
- Quinta do Francês winery
- Quinta do Freixo – Producers of liquors, jams and compotes.
- Marisol – Sea Salt producers of the Algarve
- GPS position: 37º 00’52” N / 007º 57′ 57” W
- Faro airport is located in the South-Western point of Europe in a privileged location between Northern and Central Europe and the Northeast coast of Africa.
- 6 Km from Faro city center within easy access by taxi or bus.
- Close to the A22 highway, with connections throughout the Algarve and direct to Lisbon and Spain.
Infrastructure & Operations:
- 1 Runway 10/28 runway (2490 X 45 meters)
- 1 terminal
- 1 runway. 10/28 runway (2490 x 45 meters)
- 30 a 37 (if mixed configuration) parking stands
- 60 check in desks
- 24 ATM per hour (arr+dep)
- Operating hours: 06h00 to 24h00 Security: H24
- Operating category: CAT II | ICAO category: 4E | Emergency protection category 8 ( 9 available with
- 72 hours prior notice
- Slot coordinated airport during IATA Winter and Summer seasonsSingle terminal 68.500m2 with 60 check-in desks and 36 boarding gates
- 100% hold baggage screenin
- Full baggage tracking
- Processing of golf bags as regular baggage
- Maximum passenger flow capacity p/ year: 6.000.000 pax
- Maximum passenger flow capacity p/hour: 2.400 pax
- Rescue and Fire Fighting Services (RFFS): RFFS category 8 (9 available with 72H prior notice)
- Ground handling services: 1 (Portway)
- Separate Schengen and non-Schengen arrival areas
Important infrastructure developments and/or other news
- Since its opening in 1965 Faro airport has had 2 major developments: The opening of the new passenger terminal building in 1989 and its enlargement in 2001.
- Between the years 2009 to 2014 Faro as begun important infrastructural developments:
- Apron expansion and creation of new taxiways – Concluded in 2012
- Construction of infrastructures to implement the Instrument Landing system (ILS) Runway 10 -Concluded in 2012
- Reformulation of Airport Parking, land-side access to cope with road traffic growth and adjust to the future terminal design planned for 2015. Concluded in 2013
- New development plan 2015-2017 (works in progress) – Faced with growing traffic demand, adapt the infrastructure to the new scheduled operation requirement’s, passenger’s operational safety and security, functional and architectural modernization of the terminal, quality and passenger’s satisfaction Faro airport is undergoing until 2017 extensive infrastructural improvements as well as a wide-spread renovation of the airport terminal and commercial areas, specifically:
- Increase of aircraft parking capacity from 30 to 37 positions, which will increase ATM’s from 24 to 30 per hour increasing the embarking and disembarking capacity of the terminal from 2.400 pax/h to 3.000 pax/h (each way);
- Increase of airport capacity from 6 million to 8 million passengers per year;
- Expansion of the terminal from the current 81.200 m2 to 93,120 m2;
- Increase Passenger processing capacity in the subsystems security screening and passport control;
- Expansion and refurbishment of retail areas and Food Court.
- More detailed information at https://planodedesenvolvimentofao.wordpress.com/
- 19 schedule airlines (8 LCC´s) and 13 charter airlines fly from Faro to over 70 destinations in Europe.
- Total passengers 2015: 6.4MI (+4.4%)
- Aircraft Movements 2015: 43.096 (+1.6%)
- Share of passengers in 2015:
- LCC: 75% (+18%)
- FSC: 18% (+17%)
- Charter: 7% (+23%)
- Largest carriers: Ryanair, EasyJet, Monarch, Transavia e Jet2.com
Detailed information concerning Faro airport charges and other information is available to airlines at http://routelab.ana.pt