Other major reasons to serve this airport
- Island with important tourist attractions, such as a unique scuba diving spot at a nature reserve.
- El Hierro Island is a biosphere reserve since 2000.
- El Hierro will become officially in 2014 the first island in the world to be energy self-sufficient, with a hybrid wind/pumped hydro storage system. This system has become a tourist attraction itself.
- El Hierro is the first “smart island” in the world with free wi-fi everywhere.
Marketing and other support
- For increasing number of passengers on a route;
- Off-peak days;
- Connecting flights;
- Freight: is exempted of cargo charge from the 5 July 2014;
- Note: A 1.9% reduction in all the airport charges will be effective on 1st March 2016.
The conditions of the Aena Incentive scheme and PR support are according to the wording included in the legislation in force. For more information please visit: http://www.aena.es/es/aeropuerto-el-hierro/index.html
Aena collaborates on an ongoing basis with airlines on aspects such as organising events relating to first flights, advertising in media belonging to Aena, press releases, publicity on social networks, information to travel agencies associations, temporary discounts on parking, VIP lounges, shops and F&B, etc. All of this is geared towards achieving greater visibility and publicity for the launch of new routes or new bases.
For more information please visit: http://www.aena.es/en/airlines/promotional-marketing.html
Potential cooperation from the Spanish Tourism Board (Tourspain): firstname.lastname@example.org
Market information: statistics and market analysis on request at email@example.com
To contact the local authorities, please go to http://elhierro.travel/
- There are 2.1 million people living across the Canary Islands, while 10,675 people are living in El Hierro.
Under-served freight opportunities and other economic impact factors
ATTRACTIVE FISCAL AND ECONOMIC INCENTIVES:
The island’s “special status” within the EU permits it to have reduced direct and indirect taxation as well as various fiscal incentives and economic aid for business investment:
- Reduced Taxation
- Canary Islands Special Zone (ZEC) – A low Corporation Tax Zone (4%) that promotes the establishment of new businesses, conditional upon minimum levels of investment and job creation.
- Discount for production of tangible assets – An incentive that offers a 50% reduction on tax liability on profits attributed to production and industrial activities.
- Canary Islands General Indirect Tax – A tax that is similar to VAT but specific to the Canary Islands and with lower applicable rates. The general rate is 7%.
- Special taxes – The taxes on fuels, alcoholic drinks, and certain types of transport are significantly lower than those in the rest of the EU.
- El Hierro Airport is located within the city limits of Valverde, the capital of the island.
- Its access road connects the airport with the HI-2 (between Valverde and Puerto de la Estaca).
- Line 6 (Guaguas): Valverde-La Caleta-Tamaduste-Aeropuerto.
Infrastructure & Operations
- Runway(s): One (1,250m).
- Operating hours: Summer 07:10-17:00 (Excl. Jul, Aug and Sep 07:10-18:00); Winter 08:10-18:00.
- Terminals: One.
- AIP: http://www.enaire.es/csee/Satellite/navegacion-aerea/es/Page/1078418725163/?other=1083158950596&other2=1083857758377#ancla321
For more regional information please go to:
- Canary Island government: http://www.gobcan.es
- Cabildo de El Hierro: http://www.elhierro.es
- El HierroTourism: http://elhierro.travel
- Tourism in Canary Island: http://www.hellocanaryislands.com/
- Tourism in Spain: http://www.spain.info
- Passengers (commercial): 146,185 domestic passengers.
- Air Transport Movements: 100% scheduled flights.
- Freight: 75 tonnes.
- Largest carriers: Binter + Naysa.