Other major reasons to serve this airport
- Island with important tourist attractions, such as a unique scuba diving spot at a natural reserve. Apart from diving, a wide variety of sports are offered such as Canarian Wrestling or paragliding.
- El Hierro Island is a biosphere reserve by UNESCO since 2000.
- El Hierro will become officially in 2014 the first island in the world to be energy self-sufficient, with a hybrid wind/pumped hydro storage system. This system has become a tourist attraction itself.
- El Hierro is the first “smart island” in the world with free Wi-Fi everywhere.
- El Hierro airport has implemented an Integrated Quality and Environmental Management System, certified according to ISO 9001 and ISO 14001 standards.
- El Hierro Airport was certified by the Spanish Aviation Safety Agency (AESA), according to EU 139/2014 regulation.
- Information about COVID-19 measures in place can be found at Info COVID-19.
Marketing and other support
Aena offers airlines an extensive range of incentives. See the new incentive that Aena offers in 2020 and discover which one suit your type of operation best:
- Operation recovery.
- Off-peak days.
- Connecting flights.
- Freight: Exempted of cargo charge from the 5th of July 2014
- Airport charges decrease on average by 2,2% annually until 2021
The conditions of the Aena Incentive scheme are according to the wording included in the legislation in force. For more information, please visit: http://www.aena.es/en/airlines/incentives.html
Aena collaborates on an ongoing basis with airlines on aspects such as organising events relating to first flights, advertising in media belonging to Aena, press releases, publicity on social networks, information to travel agencies associations, etc. All of this is geared towards achieving greater visibility and publicity for the launch of new routes or new bases.
For more information, please visit: http://www.aena.es/en/airlines/airport-marketing.html
Potential cooperation from the Spanish Tourism Board (Tourspain): email@example.com
Market information: statistics & market analysis on request at firstname.lastname@example.org
- There are 2.1 million people living across the Canary Islands, while 10,798 people are living in El Hierro.
Under-served freight opportunities and other economic impact factors
- El Hierro Airport is located within the city limits of Valverde, the capital of the island.
- Its access road connects the airport with the HI-2 (between Valverde and Puerto de la Estaca).
- Line 6: Valverde-La Caleta-Tamaduste-Airport.
Infrastructure & Operations
- Runway(s): One (1,250m).
- Operating hours: Summer 07:10-17:00 (Excl. Jul, Aug and Sep 07:10-18:00); Winter 08:10-18:00.
- Terminals: One.
- AIP: Airport Information Publication (AIP)
For more regional information please go to:
- Canary Island government: http://www.gobcan.es
- Cabildo de El Hierro: http://www.elhierro.es
- El HierroTourism: http://elhierro.travel
- Tourism in Canary Island: http://www.hellocanaryislands.com/
- Tourism in Spain: http://www.spain.info
- Passengers (commercial): 268,900 domestic pax.
- Flights: 100% scheduled
- Freight: 71 tons
- Main carrier: Binter, Canary Fly