Other major reasons to serve this airport
- Located at the heart of the UK, in one of UK’s largest and most affluent catchments.
- Contains world class companies from a broad mix of industries including aerospace, automotive, chemical, financial, IT, media, pharmaceutical and retail.
- East Midlands Airport connects 4.7 million passengers per annum with the world, serving more than 80 leisure and business destinations.
- 30.7 million people within a two-hour drive time.
- Leading business and leisure airport serving the wider Midlands region.
- Excellent surface access by road, rail and coach.
- Large student population with nine universities in the region.
- Tourism industry is important to the East Midlands region, attracting over one million international visitors a year.
- Home of Robin Hood country and Premier League 2015/16 Champions Leicester City F.C.
- Top East Midlands attractions include: Sherwood Forest Country Park, National Space Centre, Donington Park and Alton Towers.
Marketing and other support
- Dedicated on-site marketing team.
- Fully integrated marketing campaigns created for all new airlines to achieve maximum coverage in the region.
- Fully integrated PR support including inaugural route launches.
- Contract specific and financial support (negotiated).
- 30-minute catchment area – centred upon the cities of Derby, Leicester and Nottingham.
- 60-minute catchment area – 8.2 million people live within a one-hour drive time.
- 120-minute catchment area – 30.7 million people live within a two-hour drive time.
Under-served freight opportunities (and region)
- Perishable products (South America).
- Chinese high-end manufacturing (Shanghai and Hong Kong).
- Pharmaceuticals and textiles (India).
- Unserved freight opportunities also exist in Southeast Asia.
- East Midlands Airport offers substantial capacity with close proximity and strong road links with London.
- Highly accessible by road, rail and coach.
- Excellent, regular bus connections from the airport to Nottingham, Leicester, Derby, Loughborough, Long Eaton and Coalville.
- Scheduled National Express coach services to the north, south and west of the UK.
- London = one hour 40 minutes via train.
Infrastructure & Operations
Runway(s): One; 2,893m.
Opening Hours: 24h, 365 days a year.
Parking stands: 66.
Important infrastructure developments and/or other news
- £12 million investment in terminal redevelopment to improve the security and retail offer.
- £2 million investment in on-site car park operations.
- New premium ‘Escape’ lounge opened in 2014.
- Over 14 leading airlines and tour operators.
- Over 80 destinations served.
- Over 22 countries served.
- Over 76,000 air transport movements per annum.
- 310,000 tonnes of air cargo.
- Largest pure freight cargo airport in the UK.
- Principle cargo UK hub for DHL, UPS, Royal Mail and TNT.