Other major reasons to serve this Airport:
- Passenger numbers at NQY have doubled since 2014
- 4 Years of double digit growth (2014-2017)
- Out-performed benchmark airports (2014-2018)
- Estimated airline profit up 18% on prior year (Cumulative to Dec-2018)
- Tourism is driving demand:
- After London, Cornwall has more tourist nights than any other area of England
- 4.8 million visitors per year (24 million visitor nights, worth £1.4billion)
- World Heritage Status (Cornish Mining Awarded in 2006)
- 1 million visitors each year to the Eden Project (twice the population of Cornwall)
- 433 miles of coastline (longest coastline of any English County)
- Major music festivals i.e. Boardmasters, Tunes in the Dunes, Eden Sessions, attracting top performers.
- Renowned food and drink scene and a number of celebrity chef restaurants (Rick Stein, Paul Ainsworth, Nathan Outlaw, Jamie Oliver).
- Cornwall has a number of multinational companies with significant potential for inbound/outbound business traffic. Key industries are Marine, Aerospace, Space and Energy
- 1.14 million people living within a 90 minute drive time (No real alternative for most)
- 1.6 million passengers leaking from the catchment (CAA Survey)
Marketing and other support
- Cornwall Airport Limited is both the Airport Authority and the Ground Handling Agent which offers an extremely competitive cost base which can be passed to the airline in very competitive commercial rates for new and expanded routes.
- Our in-house marketing team has in-depth knowledge of the local market and experience in developing and implementing effective inbound and outbound route marketing campaigns. This is especially important for new brands in the local environment.
- Excellent local media links help ensure comprehensive media coverage of route announcements and news.
- Strong local networks and contacts help facilitate partnership agreements and regional support for joint activity e.g. Visit Cornwall, Visit Britain/England.
Airport Catchment area
- 1.14m people live within the Airport’s 90-minute catchment area.
- There are 1.6m passenger journeys to short-haul destinations leaking from the catchment.
- The Airport’s inward catchment is the most significant factor, 4.7m visitors come to Cornwall each year generating up to 25 million annual visitor nights.
- Over 125,000 passenger journeys originate from the west of the Airport (meaning they drive past the Airport) travelling to the top five sun destinations from other UK airports.
- Services from Cornwall Airport Newquay typically achieve a higher fare per kilometre (€) than comparable services from Bristol and Exeter Airports.
- Cornwall Airport Newquay achieves the third highest fare per kilometre of all Ryanair’s Alicante services from the UK.
Freight & Development Opportunities
Cornwall Airport Newquay is home to the UK’s only aerospace and space-focused Enterprise Zone, Aerohub. Aerohub facilitates private sector investment within the aerospace sector and offers tax breaks and other financial support. Aerohub is the largest planning free environment in the UK with development land located within easy access to the operational airport.
- Adjacent to Cornwall Airport Newquay is a 35 hectare (87 acre) Business Park Development where businesses are able to locate with planning freedom and 100% business rate relief. Fully serviced plots are available now, with office and industrial units available for lease, acquisition or development.
- Current tenants include Bristow Helicopters Search and Rescue and Cobham Helicopter Training Academy.
Infrastructure & Operations
- Runways: One – 2,744m x 45m. CATIII/AGL Operations, Full Primary/Secondary Radar Services, IRVR/NDB/DMB, CAT7 RFFS (CAT8 Available on request).
- Operating hours: 0730–2200.
- Terminals: Expansion of Landside café & retail space and a new long stay car park was undertaken in 2019.
- Cornwall Airport Newquay handled approx. 460,000 passengers in 2018. Newquay’s passenger traffic is mainly domestic, with the busiest scheduled route, London Heathrow, forecast to carry approximately 185,000+ passengers in FY 2019-20. London Heathrow operates all year-round with 28 departures per week.
- In 2019, 21 routes are operated from Cornwall Airport Newquay by 6 airlines, compared to 11 in 2015 and 4 airlines.
- Flybe is the airport’s largest carrier, with Ryanair, Aer Lingus Regional, Eurowings, SAS and Skybus all operating services.
- Largest carrier: Flybe is Cornwall Airport Newquay’s largest carrier and handled around 73% of all traffic in 2016.