Other major reasons to serve this airport
- Cairns Airport is the gateway to the Great Barrier Reef, one of the world’s iconic natural attractions.
- It is the third most visited Australian destination for international holiday travellers.
- Cairns is the largest airport in Northern Australia and its passenger throughput is higher than the combined totals of all other international airports in the region.
- Cairns Airport’s strong passenger base and location make it an ideal gateway to Northern Australia, as most East Asia destinations are within eight hours flying time from Cairns.
- 24/7 operations and uncongested airspace.
- The Australian Government has an open skies policy for Cairns traffic rights.
- The growth rate on Cairns domestic routes has been consistently one of the highest of Australia’s major airports.
- It has a track record of being Australia’s top airport for satisfaction in the Airport Service Quality surveys.
Marketing and other support
- Tailored support packages for new routes will be considered.
- Effective PR activities for inaugural flights.
- Comprehensive marketing strategies and campaigns may be developed for airlines for the local market.
- Meaningful marketing statistics and insights available.
- Growing social media presence to communicate with travellers actively considering travel to and from Cairns.
Airport Catchment area
- The immediate catchment is 240,000 people.
- Those living within a four-hour drive of the airport number 500,000.
Under-served freight opportunities and other economic impact factors
- The region exports high-value food produce, including live fish and seasonal fruits and vegetables.
- There is a growing market for crocodile skins used in high fashion.
- The region is home to two universities which specialise in tropical studies like medicine.
- The airport is a 10-minute drive from the CBD.
Infrastructure & Operations
- Runway(s): One asphalt runway 3,200m.
- Slot Coordinated: Unrestricted.
- Operating hours: 24/7.
- Terminals: Terminal 1 (International) & Terminal 2 (Domestic).
- Minimum connect times: 30-minutes domestic to domestic; 60-minutes domestic to international and international to international; 75-minutes international to domestic.
- 24/7 operations without curfew
- Choice of ground handling agents
- Rated Australia’s best in ASQ
Important infrastructure developments and/or other news
- The airport has the space and approvals for significant airside aeronautical services development.
- Passenger numbers: Over 4.5 million passengers in 2014.
- Freight: International freight averages 3,000 tonnes per year.
Fees and charges
- Contact us for details on aviation charges