Other major reasons to serve this airport
- Approximately 80 miles (120km) to downtown Toronto (the most populous city in Canada).
- There are over 9.7 million residents that live in this bi-national US/Canadian region (based on a 100 km radius catchment area)
- Last year, over 2 million Canadians used the Buffalo Niagara International Airport
- 25 minutes from Niagara Falls, which attracts over 22 million visitors each year
- Full service airport with mix of Low Cost Carriers and Legacy Carriers. Around 110 flights daily to 23 nonstop destinations and beyond.
Marketing and other support
- New entrant and route specific incentive program
- Grass roots marketing support to communicate new routes
- Significant cooperation for area’s tourism agencies
- Click here to view Buffalo Niagara International Airport’s incentive scheme
- Total 100 km radius catchment area population: 9.7 million (2010 Census)
- Population of the nine Western New York State counties in our 100 km
catchment area: 2.3 million
(Allegany, Cattaraugus, Chautauqua, Erie, Genesee, Monroe, Niagara, Orleans, and Wyoming Counties)
- Population of the nine Canadian census divisions in our 100 km
catchment area: 7.4 million
(Toronto, Durham, Halton, Peel, York, Brant, Haldimand-Norfolk, Hamilton, and Niagara)
Under-served freight opportunities and other economic impact factors
- Centrally located in the North East of the US, within 10 hrs driving distance (or less) of 65% of the entire US population. Chicago, New York, Boston and Washington, DC are all easily reached via interstate highway system.
- Less than a two hour drive from downtown Toronto, directly accessible via a modern highway system.
- Buffalo, NY – 5 miles/7km (closest city)
- Niagara Falls, NY – 23 miles/35km
- Toronto, Canada – 83 miles (125km)
- Rochester, NY – 62 miles (92km)
- Airport is located adjacent to US Interstate I-90, which runs from Boston all the way to the US Pacific Northwest. This highway is a major connecting artery to cities like Boston, Rochester, Buffalo, Cleveland, Chicago, and Seattle.
Infrastructure & Operations:
RWY 05–23: 8,829’ X 150’
RWY 14–32: 7,161’ X 150’
- Slot Coordinated?: No
- Operating hours: 24/7
- Terminals (Number, type and last major refurbishment): One passenger terminal with 25 gates. New terminal opened in 1997, with an expansion completed in 2000.
- Min. connect time: n/a
- Other relevant Infrastructure & Operations details: Fully automated inline baggage handling system, 10 security lane checkpoint, FIS facility.
- The following carriers operate at BUF, operating approximately 110 flights daily to 23 non-stop destinations and beyond. Southwest/Airtran, Delta Air Lines, Jetblue Airways, US Airways, United Airlines and American Airlines.
Important infrastructure developments and/or other news
- 2012 Passengers (total in & out): 5.2 million
- 2012 Freight (total in & out): 90 million pounds (40,000 tonnes)
- Largest carriers: Southwest Airlines, Delta Air Lines, Jetblue Airways and US Airways
- In 2012, 47% of the licence plates in our parking lots were Canadian