Other major reasons to serve this airport
- Fast and easy accessibility – dense highways network, no traffic jams, large shuttle offer to major cities in Belgium (Brussels, Gent, Bruges, etc), as well as Lille (France) and Luxembourg.
- High operational performance – 25-minutes-turnaround for aircraft type B737 and A320.
- Important know-how and expertise.
- Flexible airport – ‘Do It Yourself’ services; handling made by Brussels South Charleroi Airport Staff.
- No Stress Airport – Fast access for passengers and airlines – 12 minutes from the car park to the aircraft (passengers), eight minutes from the runway to the aircraft parking lot (airlines).
- ILS (Cat. III)
- No slot coordination.
- Strong economic potential in Belgium (biotechnology, automotive sector, pharmaceutical, agro-food sector, aerospace, ICT, environment, transport, logistics).
Marketing and other support
- Marketing investment for all new airlines, operating to/from CRL, or new routes.
- Communication and marketing action plan.
- Continuous communication plan.
- Potential partnership with regional/local/foreign tourism offices.
- Airport – liaison between airline and targeted communities, tourism boards, etc.
- 30 minutes – 2 million potential customers
- 60 minutes – 5 million potential customers
- 120 minutes – 15 million potential customers
Under-served freight opportunities and other economic impact factors
- Presence of important clusters around the airport:
- SkyWin Wallonia (Aerospace companies)
- Wagralim (Agrifood)
- Mecatech (Machine tool manufacturers)
- GreenWin (Environmental innovation and technologies)
150 members with more than 135 companies
- BioWin (Biopharmacy, cellular therapy, immunology, radiopharmaceutical applications, medical instruments, biotech products and services)
BioWin is made up of 130 companies, 400 research centres and five universities
- Easy access to the airport by car, bus, train, shuttles
|Arlon||1 hour 40 minutes|
|Charleville||1 hour 30 minutes|
|Lille (France)||1 hour 20 minutes|
|Maubeuge (France)||1 hour|
|Valencienne (France)||1 hour|
|Gent||1 hour 20 minutes|
|Bruges||1 hour 50 minutes|
|Antwerp||1 hour 20 minutes|
|Hasselt||1 hour 20 minutes|
|Maastricht (Netherlands)||1 hour 20 minutes|
|Eindhoven (Netherlands)||2 hours|
|Aachen (Germany)||1 hour 40 minutes|
|Köln (Germany)||2 hours 10 minutes|
Infrastructure & Operations
- Runways: one – 2,550 metres X 46 metres
- Slot Coordinated: No
- Operating hours: 06.00 – 23.00 local time
- 1 terminal – easy and stress-free
- Restaurants and cafés
- Currency Exchange Office
- Duty Free Shop
- Minimum connect time: 1 hour
- Handling (ramp & pax/fueling, etc) made by Brussels South Charleroi Airport
- ILS Cat. III
- Departure Control Systems (DCS): Iport, Aircute
- Handling punctuality (all delays > 0’) – 98.74%
- Airport punctuality (all delays >0’) – 97.82%
- Last bag delivery in less than 30 minutes – 95.23%
Brussels South Charleroi Airport is going to increase its surface, as well as its capacity in terms of customer numbers. By 2017, the airport is aiming at welcoming more than nine million passenger per year. To do so, an investment plan estimated at between 15 and 20 million Euros has been made to build a second terminal, connected to the first one, with additional check-in desks, security checkpoints, gates and baggage claim areas.
Passenger numbers in 2014 – 6.5 million
100% travelling on international routes; no domestic routes from CRL
- Scheduled flights: 98%
- Charter flights: 2%
Reasons for travelling to/from CRL are the following (statistics 2013):
- Largest carriers: Ryanair, Wizz Air, Jetairfly
Other relevant vital statistics:
- 83% travelling on European routes
- 16% travelling to North Africa
- 1% travelling through Istanbul Sabiha Gökçen
- 17% flying to Asia
- 3% flying to Europe
- 80% flying into Turkey (Domestic Routes)
- 0.3% flying to North Africa