Other major reasons to serve this airport
- Less than 40% of the local catchment that originates within one-hour of the Airport is actually served by the airlines presently serving Birmingham. The remaining 60% of the market therefore represents a genuine opportunity for a new operator to grow rather than “raiding” passengers from other airlines already operating at the airport.
- Economic output of the region is £63bn (approaching €100bn) – 8.2% of the total UK GDP (the GDP of the Czech Republic is smaller).
- Birmingham is one of the youngest cities in Europe with 37% of the population under 24.
- Birmingham is one of the most ethnically-mixed cities in the UK, with significant Pakistani, Indian, Afro-Caribbean, Irish, Bangladeshi and Chinese communities.
- As well as having one of Europe’s leading retail and entertainment city centres in Birmingham, in terms of attractions the UK’s Midlands boasts historic Warwick, home of Shakespeare Stratford-upon-Avon, the UK’s biggest theme park Alton Towers, the cradle of the Industrial Revolution in Ironbridge and the tranquil beauty of the Cotswolds.
Marketing and other support
Birmingham Airport is keen to incentivise the establishment and growth of services that provide passengers with a wider choice of destination. The airport also has a host of marketing initiatives such as a dedicated sales team, e-mail database and website, which are available for the promotion of new services.
Birmingham is the second largest city in the UK, with over 1m inhabitants.
- 30 minute catchment = 2.9m
- 60 minute catchment = 8m
- 120 minute catchment = 36.2m
Birmingham Airport serves the entire Midlands region via its convenient motorway and rail links. The airport attracts large numbers of passengers from nearby large cities such as Coventry, Leicester, Nottingham, Sheffield, Derby, Stoke, Worcester, Northampton, Gloucester and Oxford.
The strength of Birmingham’s catchment is demonstrated by its ability to maintain up to 34 long-haul services per week to destinations such as New York, Dubai, Islamabad, Orlando and Toronto.
Under-served freight opportunities and other economic impact factors
- Birmingham is well known as the centre of manufacturing in the UK, in particular for automotive manufacturing. Jaguar, Land Rover and MG are all based within a few miles of the airport.
- Other companies based in the region with a potential need for air freight include Boots, Cadbury, Caterpillar, Du Pont, Fujitsu, GKN, Honda, JCB, Kraft, Lucas, Marconi, Misys, Rolls-Royce, Siemens, Toyota and Volvo.
- BHX is 10km from Birmingham city centre.
- BHX is at the heart of the UK motorway network and is just 2 minutes from the M42.
- BHX has its own dedicated railway station – called Birmingham International - on the West Coast Mainline which runs from London via Birmingham to Scotland. Trains can be caught from Birmingham International to local, regional and national destinations. The Airport’s own air rail link connects passengers to the station in 90 seconds.
- BHX is served by a network of local, regional and national buses and coaches, complementing those passengers arriving by taxi and private cab.
Infrastructure & Operations:
- Runway 15/33 – 2599m Cat IIIB ILS, DME & NDB, ICAO Code 4E.
- Fire & Rescue: RFF Cat 9.
- Runway capacity = 40 movements per hour (planned to increase to 43).
- 63 aircraft stands of which 19 are served by airbridge.
- 113 check-in desks.
- BHX is a designated a schedule facilitated airport. This is performed by ACL.
- Operating hours: 24hrs.
- One terminal.
- Min. connect time: 45 minutes
Important infrastructure developments and/or other news
- Planning permission for a 400m extension to the main runway has been approved by the local authorities.
- The new £40m+ (€60m) International Pier is now open
- Total Passengers 2010 = 8.6m
- Freight carriage 2010 = 22,172 tonnes
- Scheduled/Charter mix of passengers 2010 = 77%/23%
- Largest carrier 2010 (passenger numbers): Flybe