- Billund Airport – the second largest airport in Denmark – handles just short of 3 million passengers annually.
- West Denmark – Billund Airport’s core catchment area – generated more than 7.3 million international passengers last year. However, analysis shows that West Denmark is heavily underserved in terms of airline capacity, and benchmarked against peer regions like Gothenburg and Bergen, it appears that average fares from Billund Airport were more than €40 higher in 2015.
Marketing and other support
Billund Airport has a fully developed marketing toolbox, which will heavily support new potential routes to Billund.
- New direct services meeting the requirements of the airport’s new route discount scheme will get reduced passenger fee in year 1 and 2 of operation.
- Billund Airport hosts the largest travel magazine in Denmark: ‘check-in Billund’. The magazine has a circulation of 45,000 copies, and promotes new as well as existing routes and tour operators at Billund Airport. More than 27,000 people in West Denmark subscribe to ‘check-in Billund’.
- The airport’s Community Manager focus all his time on Social Media activities and is very active on the most popular Social Media platforms. New activities from Billund Airport will be heavily promoted through our Social Media platforms as well as the airport’s newsletter.
- The airport marketing team have a great network within the West Danish travel trade and we will be able to establish contact between new airlines and potential tour operators. Furthermore, we will assist your sales and marketing team when working in the West Danish market.
- With focus on route development from West Denmark a forum of travel managers from 20 travel intensive companies has been formed. The total travel budget for these companies is in the range of €100-130 million annually. Airlines starting new routes to Billund will be able to get in close dialogue with the local travel managers from these travel intensive companies.
- The airport marketing team will arrange and co-host events for the local travel industry as well as local and international media. The marketing team in cooperation with VisitDenmark and local tourism organizations has extensive experience in entertaining international media when visiting the West Danish region.
- The airport has a range of out-door billboard positions to your disposal where potential new routes will be able to get a significant level of exposure.
- Various members of the Billund Airport team are elected Board Members of the Boards of VisitDenmark, PATA Chapter Denmark, Discover America Denmark and the Advisory Board of VisitAarhus.
Billund Airport is ideally located to take advantage of a catchment of 3 million people, living in West Denmark.
- 1 hour: 1,2 million people
- 1½ hours: 2,3 million people
The entire population in West Denmark are able to reach Billund Airport within two hours’ drive. The airport’s core catchment is almost twice the size of any other competing West Danish airports’.
Aarhus, the second largest city in Denmark, can be reached within one hour by car or passengers can take one of the 17 daily airport shuttles going directly from Billund Airport to Aarhus city centre. Odense and Aalborg, the third and fourth largest cities in Denmark, is only 1hour 15 minutes and 2 hours away by car, respectively. Furthermore, the fifth largest city and Danmark’s off-shore capitol Esbjerg is situated only 45 minutes away.
The Tri-City Area (Vejle-Kolding–Frederica) situated only 30-40 km from Billund Airport forms a major population cluster with more than 210.000 inhibitors. Combined the population of these three cities out number of population of the third largest city in Denmark, Odense.
Business in West Denmark is strong
The companies based within 1 hour 30 minute drive time of Billund Airport generate more than 42% of the overall national revenue. This proves how important Billund Airport’s core catchment area is to the Danish economy Furthermore, companies in West Denmark generate 34% of the total Danish exports.
New Market Opportunities
On the doorstep of Billund Airport is LEGOLAND Billund Resort. Here children and their parents can experience the best from LEGOLAND, including more than 55 rides and attractions, greeting of roaring lions in Givskud Zoo or some serious water fun at Lalandia Aquadome – A tropical El Dorado for the whole family!
LEGOLAND Billund Resort is the largest leisure centre in Northern Europe, with a wide range of accommodation opportunities such as the 825 holiday houses at Lalandia, Hotel LEGOLAND or LEGOLAND Village Family Hostel and Camping.
The average stay at the Billund LEGOLAND Resort is 3-4 nights. (www.legolandbillundresort.com)
In 2017, LEGO will open a new attraction in Billund – the LEGO House, and Lalandia will open an outlet mall with more than 40 designer outlet stores. (https://wwwsecure.lego.com/en-gb/legohouse?ignorereferer=true)
Significant competition is restricted to surface migration to Copenhagen and Hamburg Airports, however, the travel time from Billund Airport’s core catchment to these airports are on average circa 3-4 hours; in particular, the costs of overland journeys to Copenhagen are relatively high. A return train ticket from West Denmark to Copenhagen is at least €100 and crossing the Great Belt Bridge by car costs €65 (return)
Freight opportunities – Main traffic stream/potential for full freighter service
Companies based in West Denmark generate circa 35% of the overall Danish GDP. The companies based within 1 hour 30 minutes drive time of Billund Airport generated circa 30% of the overall GDP. This illustrates the importance of Billund Airport’s core catchment area for the overall Danish economy.
The catchment of Cargo Center Billund offers a lot of potential and the following import/export cargo opportunities has been identified;
Suggested type of aircraft for viable business: 747-400F
- Hong Kong
- and more
- Hong Kong
- and more
Cargo Center Billund
Cargo Center Billund offers a short cut to a catchment of dynamic business regions in Northern Germany, Denmark as well as the rest of Scandinavia.
Connected by a growing offering of air services and a wide network of scheduled road feeder services to airports in all major European markets, Cargo Center Billund will serve you as a prime interface to air cargo import, export and transfer services.
In 2015, Cargo Center Billund handled more than 63,000 tonnes of air cargo – split quite evenly between imports and exports.
The cargo terminals of Cargo Center Billund are situated directly adjoining the airside tarmac with abundant cargo aircraft parking stands within immediate reach.
Cargo Center Billund offers you aircraft and cargo handling charges that compare most favourably with other airports to provide customers ‘value for money’.
Cargo Center Billund is fully equipped with facilities for handling any type of shipments, including general cargo as well as special cargo such as:
- Temperature-sensitive shipments
- Shipments requiring cooling/freezing
- Dangerous cargo
- Live animals
Cargo Center Billund is dedicated to serve customers with tailor-made solutions based on many years of solid experience and passionate air cargo professionals. All employees at Cargo Center Billund are constantly trained in accordance to relevant training programs and are certified in concordance with Lufthansa Cargo Standards.
Cargo Center Billund is open for handling services and custom clearance 24/7 and is equipped with state-of-the-art IT systems and tools, such as Lufthansa Systems Elwis.
Cargo Center Billund works as a veterinary boarder inspection and is specialised in handling of live animals meaning that our facilities are equipped with safekeeping areas geared for small as well as large animals.
Most Danish airfreight forwarders, GSAs and a variety of airlines are localised around Cargo Center Billund, constituting an efficient and professional cargo community.
Billund Airport is West Denmark’s international airport – and the second largest airport in Denmark. The airport is the primary gateway to and from the West Danish region.
For the summer season 2016, more than 45 direct international routes will be served from Billund as well as charter services to more than 50 European and intercontinental destinations.
The airport handled 2.9 million passengers in 2015, experiencing stable growth during the previous years.
In 2015, 99% of passengers at Billund Airport were travelling internationally, and out of the airport’s 1.9 million scheduled passengers, more than 50% travelled for business.
Benchmarked against competing airports, Billund Airport offers the lowest per passenger related cost to the airlines in terms of fees and charges. Airline related fees and charges have been frozen for more than 15 years!!
The possibility of quick turnaround and capacity to air bridge board is also available at Billund Airport.
- Runway: 3,100 metres. Cat III.
- Parallel Taxiways: 3,500 metres
- Apron Capacity:
- 10 “nose in” aircraft parking positions – with access to terminal through air bridges
- 16 remote parking positions
- 12 parking positions in front of Cargo Terminal
- Slot Coordination: Billund Airport is not slot constrained; however, for the ease of planning airport slots are coordinated by Airport Coordination Denmark (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Opening hours: Billund Airport is open on a 24 hour basis.