Marketing and other support
- Billund Airport has a fully developed marketing toolbox, which will heavily support new potential routes to Billund.
- New direct services meeting the requirements of the airport’s new route discount scheme will get reduced passenger fee in year 1 and 2 of operation.
- Billund Airport hosts the largest travel magazine in Denmark: ‘check-in Billund’. The magazine has a circulation of 40,000 copies, and promotes new as well as existing routes and tour operators at Billund Airport. More than 20,000 people in West Denmark subscribe to ‘check-in Billund’.
- The airport also has an e-mail service – ‘Billund NYT’ – frequently sending news and travel inspiration to the West Danish population. New activities from Billund Airport will be heavily promoted through our newsletter.
- The airport marketing team has a great network within the West Danish travel trade and we will be able to establish contact between new airlines and potential tour operators. Furthermore, we will assist your sales and marketing team when working in the West Danish market.
- With focus on route development from West Denmark a forum of travel managers from 20 travel intensive companies has been formed. The total travel budget for these companies is in the range of €100-130 million annually. Airlines starting new routes to Billund will be able to do this in close dialogue with the local travel managers from these travel intensive companies.
- The airport marketing team will arrange and co-host events for the local travel industry as well as local and international media. The marketing team in cooperation with VisitDenmark and local tourism organisation has extensive experience in entertaining international media when visiting the West Danish region.
- The airport has a range of out-door billboard positions to our disposal where potential new routes will be able to get a significant level of exposure.
Billund Airport is ideally located to take advantage of a catchment of almost 3 million people, living in West Denmark.
- 45 minutes: 500,000 people
- 1 hour: 1 million people
- 1½ hours: 2,1 million people
The majority of the population in West Denmark are able to reach Billund Airport within two hours drive, as 2.6 million inhabitants live within this drive time zone. The airport’s core catchment is twice the size of any other competing West Danish airports’.
Århus, the second largest city in Denmark, can be reached within one hour by car or passengers can take one of the many airport shuttles going directly from Billund Airport to Århus city centre. Odense and Aalborg, the third and fourth largest cities in Denmark, is only 1.5-2 hours away by car.
More than 2.4 million international tourists visited West Denmark in 2008.
LEGOLAND®, one of the most popular tourist attractions in Denmark, is located on the doorstep of Billund Airport. Last year more than 1.6 million guests visited LEGOLAND® in Billund, and a proportion travelled via Billund Airport as scheduled or charter passengers, just to experience a day or two of fun in the theme park.
Next to LEGOLAND®, a new holiday centre has just opened. “Lalandia Billund” is one of the largest leisure centres in Northern Europe. The development plan allows for 1,500 houses to be built in two phases; the first phase (750 homes) has just come in to use. The activity centre has a huge waterpark, including pools, spas and water slides. Furthermore, a wide range of indoor sports and wellness activities is available to the guests.
LEGOLAND®, Lalandia, Givskud Zoo and Billund Airport have formed a marketing joint venture under the brand name “Legoland Billund Resort” (www.legolandbillundresort.com)
Significant competition is restricted to surface migration to Copenhagen and Hamburg Airports, however, the travel time from Billund Airport’s core catchment to these airports are on average circa 3-4 hours; in particular the costs of overland journeys to Copenhagen are relatively high.
Freight opportunities – Main traffic stream/potential for full freighter service
Companies based in West Denmark generate circa 35% of the overall Danish GDP. The companies based within 1 hour 30 minutes drive time of Billund Airport generated circa 30% of the overall GDP. This illustrates the importance of Billund Airport’s core catchment area for the overall Danish economy.
The catchment of Cargo Center Billund offers a lot of potential and the following import/export cargo opportunities has been identified;
Suggested type of aircraft for viable business: 747-400F
- Hong Kong
- and more
- Hong Kong
- and more
Cargo Center Billund
Cargo Center Billund offers a short cut to a catchment of dynamic business regions in Northern Germany, Denmark as well as the rest of Scandinavia.
Connected by a growing offering of air services and a wide network of scheduled road feeder services to airports in all major European markets, Cargo Center Billund will serve you as a prime interface to air cargo import, export and transfer services.
In 2008, Cargo Center Billund handled more than 55,000 tonnes of air cargo – split quite evenly between imports and exports.
The cargo terminals of Cargo Center Billund are situated directly adjoining the airside tarmac with abundant cargo aircraft parking stands within immediate reach.
Cargo Center Billund offers you aircraft and cargo handling charges that compare most favourably with other airports to provide customers ‘value for money’.
Cargo Center Billund is fully equipped with facilities for handling any type of shipments, including general cargo as well as special cargo such as:
- Temperature-sensitive shipments
- Shipments requiring cooling/freezing
- Dangerous cargo
- Live animals
Cargo Center Billund is dedicated to serve customers with tailor-made solutions based on many years of solid experience and passionate air cargo professionals. All employees at Cargo Center Billund are constantly trained in accordance to relevant training programs and are certified in concordance with Lufthansa Cargo Standards.
Cargo Center Billund is open for handling services and custom clearance 24/7 and is equipped with state-of-the-art IT systems and tools, such as Lufthansa Systems Elwis.
Cargo Center Billund works as a veterinary boarder inspection and is specialised in handling of live animals meaning that our facilities are equipped with safekeeping areas geared for small as well as large animals.
Most Danish airfreight forwarders, GSAs and a variety of airlines are localised around Cargo Center Billund, constituting an efficient and professional cargo community.
Billund Airport is West Denmark’s international airport – and the second largest airport in Denmark. The airport is the primary gateway to and from the West Danish region.
For the summer season 2009, more than 30 direct international routes will be served from Billund as well as charter services to more than 60 European and intercontinental destinations.
The airport handled 2.2 million passengers in 2007, and passenger flows grew to more than 2.5 million in 2008.
In 2008, 95% of passengers at Billund Airport were travelling internationally, and out of the airport’s 1.6 million scheduled passengers more than 50% travelled for business.
Benchmarked against competing airports, Billund Airport offers the lowest per passenger related cost to the airlines in terms of fees and charges. Airline related fees and charges have been frozen for more than 10 years!!
The possibility of quick turnaround and capacity to airbridge board is also available at Billund Airport.
- Runway: 3,100 metres. Cat III.
- Parallel Taxiways: 3,500 metres
- Apron Capacity:
- 10 “nose in” aircraft parking positions – with access to terminal through airbridges
- 16 remote parking positions
- 12 parking positions in front of Cargo Terminal
- Slot Coordination: Billund Airport is not slot constrained; however, for the ease of planning airport slots are coordinated by Airport Coordination Denmark (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Opening hours: Billund Airport is open on a 24 hour basis.