Other major reasons to serve this airport
- Extremely competitive airport charges.
- Region with a strong economy.
- Important tourism attractions, including major architectural works: Frank Gehry’s Guggenheim Museum, Norman Foster’s subway station and the Airport by Santiago Calatrava.
- “Semana Grande” is Bilbao’s main festival, attracting over 100,000 people. It is in August each year, lasting nine days. The celebrations include, free music performances, street entertainment and nightly fireworks displays.
- High yield catchment area. Bilbao is the major airport in its catchment area.
- Good performance of existing facilities.
Marketing and other support
- Available incentive in the Spanish airports in 2014:
- Passenger growth incentive: 75% discount in the passenger charge, for the additional passengers on a route to the same destination (50% in 2014 and 25% in 2015). 100% discount in the passenger charge if the route is to a new destination (75% in 2014 and 25% in 2015).
- Cargo Incentive: 100% reduction in cargo charge for connecting flights. 50% reduction in cargo charge for international flights.
- PR support for new routes such as:
- Opening flight ceremony: a press release, water cannon salute at the opening flight.
- Promotional discounts: Discount at the airport’s parking for the passengers of the new route; discounts at participating airport food and beverage outlets, and; discount in the Airport´s VIP lounge for the passengers of the new route.
- Promotion of the new route: Promotion of the new route at Aena’s web page, social networks etc.
- Publicity at the airport: Space at the airport for publicity
- For further information, please contact email@example.com
- Possible cooperation from the Spanish Tourism Board (Tourspain): firstname.lastname@example.org
- Market information: statistics & market analysis on request at email@example.com
- Within 30 mins: 1.1 million
- Within 60 mins: 1.7 million
- Within 120 mins: 3.3 million
Under-served freight opportunities and other economic impact factors
- For freight opportunities go to: http://www.aena-aeropuertos.es/csee/Satellite/comercial/en/Page/1237559484370/Air-cargo.html
- For further information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Bilbao Airport is located at 12 kilometres from the capital of the Vizcaya province, in the city limits of Loiu.
- Access to the airport is via the national motorway N-637, which is the Bilbao ring road that links the airport to the national motorway A8.
- Bizkaibus Línea 3247 Bilbao – Aeropuerto
- Aeropuerto – Zarautz – San Sebastián
- Aeropuerto – Eibar – Bergara – Arrasate
Infrastructure & Operations:
- Runways: 2 (2,000m and 2,600m).
- Slot Coordinated: Coordinated.
- Operating hours: Summer: 0445-2130; Winter: 0545-2230.
- Plus 1 hour 30 minutes – Prior permission required 30 minutes before airport closes
- Terminals: 1.
- AIP: http://www.aena.es/csee/Satellite/navegacion-aerea/es/Page/1078418725163/?other=1083158950596&other2=1083857757927#ancla38
Important infrastructure developments and/or other news
For more information about Bilbao and its region, go to:
- Basque Country Tourism
- Basque Country Destinations
- Bilbao Town Hall
- Biscay Provincial Council
- Tourism in Spain
- Passengers: 2,729,591 domestic passengers; 1,433,051 international passengers.
- Air Transport Movements: 96% scheduled flights; 4% charter flights.
- Freight: 2,200 tonnes.
- Largest carriers: Vueling, Iberia, Lufthansa, easyJet, AirEuropa, Ryanair, Air Nostrum, Air France, airberlin and Brussels Airlines.