Other major reasons to serve this airport
- Bilbao is a vigorous service city that is experiencing an ongoing social, economic, and aesthetic revitalization process.
- Important tourism attractions, including major architectural works: Frank Gehry’s Guggenheim Museum, Norman Foster’s subway station and Bilbao Airport by Santiago Calatrava.
- “Semana Grande” is Bilbao’s main festival, attracting over 100,000 people. It is in August each year, and lasts for nine days. The celebrations include free music performances, street entertainment and nightly fireworks displays.
- Nouvelle Basque cuisine, radically original in its form, but solidly Basque in substance. Many tapas bars, serve a modern-style of the typical snack of the Basque Country “pintxos”.
- High-yield catchment area. Bilbao is the major airport in its catchment area.
- Bilbao airport has implemented an Integrated Quality and Environmental Management System, certified according to ISO 9001 and ISO 14001 standards.
- Bilbao Airport composting plan were selected by Forética among the 60 “Sustainable urban living” initiatives, recognising projects committed to urban sustainability.
- Bilbao Airport was certified by the Spanish Aviation Safety Agency (AESA), according to EU 139/2014 regulation.
- Best airport of Europe in the “5 to 10 million passenger” category at the XV ACI Europe Award in 2019.
- In 2015 Bilbao Airport was certified by the Spanish Aviation Safety Agency (AESA), meeting the international standards recommended by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO). The certification, valid indefinitely, entails both safety improvements and meeting international technical standards.
- As part of the environmental initiatives that Bilbao Airport is implementing, it uses renewable energy facilities like its cogeneration plant.
- Information about COVID-19 measures in place can be found at Info COVID-19.
Marketing and other support
- Operation recovery.
- Off-peak days.
- Connecting flights.
- Freight: Exempted of cargo charge from the 5th of July 2014
- Airport charges decrease on average by 2,2% annually until 2021
The conditions of the Aena Incentive scheme are according to the wording included in the legislation in force. For more information, please visit: http://www.aena.es/en/airlines/incentives.html
Aena collaborates on an ongoing basis with airlines on aspects such as organising events relating to first flights, advertising in media belonging to Aena, press releases, publicity on social networks, information to travel agencies associations, etc. All of this is geared towards achieving greater visibility and publicity for the launch of new routes or new bases. For more information, please visit: http://www.aena.es/en/airlines/airport-marketing.html Potential cooperation from the Spanish Tourism Board (Tourspain): firstname.lastname@example.org Market information: statistics & market analysis on request at email@example.com
- 30-minute catchment: 1,100,000;
- 60-minute catchment: 2,200,000;
- 120-minute catchment: 3,300,000.
Under-served freight opportunities and other economic impact factors
- For freight opportunities, click here
- For further information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Bilbao Airport is located 12 kilometres from the capital of the Vizcaya province, in the city limits of Loiu.
- Access to the airport is via the national motorway N-637, which is the Bilbao ring road that links the airport to the national motorway A8.
- Bizkaibus Línea 3247 Bilbao – Airport.
- Airport – Zarautz – San Sebastian.
- Airport – Eibar – Bergara – Arrasate.
Infrastructure & Operations
- Runways: Two runways (1,910m and 2,600m).
- Slot Coordinated: Coordinated.
- Operating hours: Summer: 04:45-21:30; Winter: 05:45-22:30.
- Terminals: One.
- AIP: Aeronautical Information Publication (AIP)
Important infrastructure developments and/or other news
For more information about Bilbao and its region, go to:
- Basque Country Tourism
- Basque Country Destinations
- Bilbao Town Hall
- Biscay Provincial Council
- Tourism in Spain
- Passengers (commercial): 3.4 millions domestic pax; 2.5 millions international pax
- Flights: 99% regular; 1% charter
- Freight: 0.980 tons
- Largest carriers (Top 5): Vueling, Lufthansa, Iberia, Air Europa and easyJet