Other major reasons to serve this airport
- Extremely competitive airport charges.
- Bilbao is a vigorous service city that is experiencing an ongoing social, economic, and aesthetic revitalization process.
- Important tourism attractions, including major architectural works: Frank Gehry’s Guggenheim Museum; Norman Foster’s subway station; and Bilbao Airport by Santiago Calatrava.
- “Semana Grande” is Bilbao’s main festival, attracting over 100,000 people. It is in August each year, and lasts for nine days. The celebrations include free music performances, street entertainment and nightly fireworks displays.
- Nouvelle Basque cuisine, radically original in its form, but solidly Basque in substance. Many tapas bars, serve a modern-style of the typical snack of the Basque Country ‘pintxos’.
- High-yield catchment area. Bilbao is the major airport in its catchment area.
Marketing and other support
- For increasing number of passengers on a route;
- Connecting flights;
- Freight: is exempted of cargo charge from the 5 July 2014;
- Note: A 1.9% reduction in all the airport charges will be effective on 1st March 2016.
The conditions of the Aena Incentive scheme and PR support are according to the wording included in the legislation in force. For more information please visit: http://www.aena.es/csee/Satellite/aerolineas/en/Page/1237567508844/
- Within 30 mins: 1,095,447;
- Within 60 mins: 1,742,137;
- Within 120 mins: 3,292,534.
Under-served freight opportunities and other economic impact factors
- Bilbao Airport is located 12 kilometres from the capital of the Vizcaya province, in the city limits of Loiu.
- Access to the airport is via the national motorway N-637, which is the Bilbao ring road that links the airport to the national motorway A8.
- Bizkaibus Línea 3247 Bilbao – Aeropuerto.
- Aeropuerto – Zarautz – San Sebastian.
- Aeropuerto – Eibar – Bergara – Arrasate.
Infrastructure & Operations
- Runways: Two runways (2,000m and 2,600m).
- Slot Coordinated: Coordinated.
- Operating hours: Summer: 0445-2130; Winter: 0545-2230.
- Terminals: One.
- AIP: http://www.aena.es/csee/Satellite/navegacion-aerea/es/Page/1078418725163/?other=1083158950596#ancla3
Important infrastructure developments and/or other news
For more information about Bilbao and its region, go to:
- Basque Country Tourism
- Basque Country Destinations
- Bilbao Town Hall
- Biscay Provincial Council
- Tourism in Spain
- Passengers: 2,376,910 domestic passengers; 1,597,908 international passengers.
- Air Transport Movements: 96.9% scheduled flights; 3.1% charter flights.
- Freight: 2,855 tonnes.
- Largest carriers (Top 10): Vueling, Air Europa, Lufthansa, Iberia, easyJet, Air France, Air Nostrum, Brussels Airlines, airberlin, and Turkish Airlines..