Other major reasons to serve this airport
- Extremely competitive airport charges.
- Bilbao is a vigorous service city that is experiencing an ongoing social, economic, and aesthetic revitalization process.
- Important tourism attractions, including major architectural works: Frank Gehry’s Guggenheim Museum; Norman Foster’s subway station; and Bilbao Airport by Santiago Calatrava.
- “Semana Grande” is Bilbao’s main festival, attracting over 100,000 people. It is in August each year, and lasts for nine days. The celebrations include free music performances, street entertainment and nightly fireworks displays.
- Nouvelle Basque cuisine, radically original in its form, but solidly Basque in substance. Many tapas bars, serve a modern-style of the typical snack of the Basque Country ‘pintxos’.
- High-yield catchment area. Bilbao is the major airport in its catchment area.
Marketing and other support
- For new routes;
- For increasing number of passengers on a route: on long-haul routes, on airports with less than three million passengers and seasonal airports during the off-peak season;
- Off-peak days;
- Connecting flights;
- Freight: is exempted of cargo charge from the 5 July 2014;
- Airport charges decrease on average by 2.2% annually until 2021.
The conditions of the Aena Incentive scheme are according to the wording included in the legislation in force. For more information please visit: http://www.aena.es/en/airlines/incentives.html
Aena collaborates on an ongoing basis with airlines on aspects such as organising events relating to first flights, advertising in media belonging to Aena, press releases, publicity on social networks, information to travel agencies associations etc. All of this is geared towards achieving greater visibility and publicity for the launch of new routes or new bases.
For more information please visit: http://www.aena.es/en/airlines/promotional-marketing.html
Potential cooperation from the Spanish Tourism Board (Tourspain): email@example.com
Market information: statistics and market analysis on request at firstname.lastname@example.org
- 30-minute catchment: 1,143,273;
- 60-minute catchment: 2,246,304;
- 120-minute catchment: 3,281,154.
Under-served freight opportunities and other economic impact factors
- Bilbao Airport is located 12 kilometres from the capital of the Vizcaya province, in the city limits of Loiu.
- Access to the airport is via the national motorway N-637, which is the Bilbao ring road that links the airport to the national motorway A8.
- Bizkaibus Línea 3247 Bilbao – Airport.
- Airport – Zarautz – San Sebastian.
- Airport – Eibar – Bergara – Arrasate.
Infrastructure & Operations
- Runways: Two runways (1,910m and 2,600m).
- Slot Coordinated: Coordinated.
- Operating hours: Summer: 04:45-21:30; Winter: 05:45-22:30.
- Terminals: One.
- AIP: Aeronautical Information Publication (AIP)
Important infrastructure developments and/or other news
For more information about Bilbao and its region, go to:
- Basque Country Tourism
- Basque Country Destinations
- Bilbao Town Hall
- Biscay Provincial Council
- Tourism in Spain
- Passengers: 2.8m domestic passengers; 2.1m international passengers.
- Air Transport Movements: 99% scheduled flights; 1% charter flights.
- Freight: 1,956 tonnes.
- Largest carriers (top five): Vueling, Lufthansa, Iberia, Air Europa and easyJet.