Other Major reasons to serve this airport
- In 2012 a total of 8.5 million passengers travelled through Bahrain International Airport a growth of 8.5% over 2012.
- Bahrain International Airport has been named as Best Airport Staff 2013 Awards by Skytrax, the London based aviation research firm.
- Centrally located within the GCC with air, road and sea access.
- Over 250 million people within two hours flying time.
- The Airport is only 15 minutes away from over 350 Banks and financial companies located in downtown Manama, the Capital of Bahrain.
- One of the highest frequency of service to the surrounding region – Gulf Countries, Jordan, Lebanon, Egypt and UAE.
- Major base for the US Navy’s 5th fleet.
- Within 60 minutes from largest Oil and petrochemicals Complex in the Middle East.
- Bahrain has the shortest travel time between its seaport.
Marketing and other support
- BIA would support any new route to the Airport with a three-year incentive scheme to reduce Airline start-up costs.
- Discounts on Airport and handling charges for the first two years of operation.
- PR Support: Inaugural flights and activities for press, passengers and VIPs, etc…
- Marketing Support: To fund promotional campaigns.
- Marketing Support: Special joint promotional campaign with Bahrain Airport Services (Ground Handling Company), Bahrain Duty Free Shop and BAPCO (Fuelling).
- Market information: Statistics and market analysis on request.
- 30 Minutes Catchment Area: Population of nearly 1.6 Million
- 60 Minutes Catchment Area: Population of nearly 4 Million
- 120 Minutes Catchment Area: Population of nearly 6 Million
Under-served freight opportunities and other economic impact factors
- Proximity to major industrial and oil related activities of the Eastern Province of Saudi Arabia and Northern Gulf.
- Inter-model (Sea/Air) Centre, new Hidd industrial free zone and shaikh Khalifa Bin Salman Super-port within 5Kms.
- DHL operate extensive air and trucking services with 17 Bahrain-based freighter aircraft between Bahrain, Middle East, Iraq, Afghanistan, Europe and USA.
- Major cargo operators and freight forwarders including British Airways, Lufthansa Martin Air, Etihad.
- Freight opportunities: BIA has the following advantages, Efficient Airport Operations, Excellent Connectivity from and to the Airport-Land, sea, air and a liberalized customs regime.
- Local geography:
- BAH is 4km from the City Centre of Bahrain.
- BAH is 40km from the Eastern Province of Saudi Arabia.
Infrastructure & Operations
- Runways: Single Runway 3963m x 60m.
- Back-up Runway: 2530m x 45m.
- Operating Hours: 24 Hours Operations.
- Terminal: One terminal with a capacity of 9 Million, extensively re-modeled in 1994.
- Other relevant infrastructure and operations details: Runway upgraded in 2007 to accommodate A380.
Important infrastructure developments and/or other news
- Future plans include a major US$350m expansion of the terminal building to the east to provide eight additional air bridges and additional aircraft parking stands raising the Airport capacity initially to 15m per annum by 2015 with provision for a second phase expansion increasing capacity to 22m by 2020.
- New check-in desks (Doubling the current number), additional shopping facilities as well as an increased baggage make-up area (Doubling the size of the existing area) and separate baggage reclaim area together with a distinctive new facad are all included in the initial design.
- Plan for a new US$70m multi-story car park project that would not only provide additional parking but also provide offices and retail areas linked to the main terminal building are also being finalised.
- Total Passengers (2012): 8.5 Million International Scheduled (8.5% Growth)
- Freight: 310,000 Tonnes
- Largest Carrier: Gulf Air
- Airport Statistics: http://bahrainairport.com/doing-business-with-us/statistics-data.html