All other major European/Russian & CIS as well as Middle Eastern destinations are likely to have a promising start.
Major reasons to serve this airport
- Ankara is the capital of Turkey and the country’s second largest city after Istanbul with a population of 4.9m (2012) covering eight districts under the city’s administration. Ankara also serves as the capital of the Province of Ankara, whose population stood at 5.2m in 2012.
- Centrally located in Anatolia (the western-most part of Asia also known Asia Minor). Ankara is an important commercial and industrial city. It is the centre of the Turkish Government, and houses all foreign embassies. It is an important crossroads of trade, strategically located at the centre of Turkey’s highway and railway networks, and serves as the marketing centre for the surrounding agricultural area.
- The airport is located northeast of Ankara, 28km from the centre. Transportation to the city centre is by taxi and through the Havaş bus line. The road between Esenboğa airport and the Ankara ring road was expanded during the summer of 2006, decreasing the driving time between the city centre and the airport by several minutes.
- Ankara Airport, with its state-of-art facilities, is the gateway of Ankara and Central Anatolia to the world. There are many major cities except Ankara in Central Anatolia with developed economies and high business and touristic potentials such as Konya, Kayseri and Eskişehir. There are many families in Central Anatolia whose relatives live and work in European countries, especially Western European countries, and Ankara Esenboğa Airport serves these VFR requirements especially in summer and holidays.
Marketing and other support
- 30 min: 1.5 million
- 1 hour: 3 million
- 2 hours: 5.5 million
- 35 minutes to city centre by bus.
- Available transportation modes to city centre: bus and taxi.
- Major cities nearby: Kastamonu (245 km), Kırıkkale (77 km), Çankırı (131 km)
Under-served freight opportunities and other economic impact factors
Contact our route development specialist for further information.
Infrastructure & Operations:
- Runways (number and length): Two runways, each: 3,750m
- Runway capacity: 23 movements/hour
- Operating hours: 24/7
- Terminals: 1 Terminal
- Min. connect time: 5-10 min. for domestic-domestic or international to international transfers
- Aircraft Stands: 18 Gates, 32 apron + cargo
|Ankara Esenboga Airport (ESB)||2011||2012||Change (%)|
|ESB Freight (tonnes)||56,996||35,932||92,928||63,418||31,964||95,382||11||-11||3|
|Data Source: www.dhmi.gov.tr|
- Largest carrier: THY