Regional new route requirements
In addition to the cities suggested above, evidence also exists to support new routes to:
- Baltic states
- Eastern Europe
Major reasons to serve this airport
- Nearly two years ago, the only way for a commercial airline to enter the lucrative Southern Germany and Bavarian market was to open a route to the giant airports of Munich or Stuttgart. Since June, 28th 2007 there is a third attractive opportunity, The Bavarian Alps Airport Memmingen (FMM) – the Allgäu Airport.
- A group of regionally active private sector stakeholders brought vision and financial resource to the Allgäu Airport development. Nearly 70 companies are shareholders of the airport.
- Allgäu Airport is located in Southern Germany, just 60 minutes by car west of Munich, Germany’s third largest city, and 80 minutes south of the automotive capital, Stuttgart. Its location in between the two main airports is an advantage for commercial airlines which can profit from both metropolitan regions. Overall a total of 5.8 million people can reach the airport in 90 minutes using ground transportation. The Airport is directly located at the motorway intersection A7/A96. An express road and rail network guarantees fast journey to and from the Allgäu Airport. The Allgäu Express Bus offers direct connection to the central railway station in Munich, Augsburg and Ulm.
- Allgäu Airport is a modern, fit for purpose, low cost airport that has considerably lower direct costs than those levied by the major airports surrounding. But reduce costs do not mean reduced efficiency. Allgäu Airport has established first-class ground handling, security and customer services and 25-minutes turnarounds are guaranteed.
- The facility is a fast access point to Bavaria’s famous attractions – the alps, ski resorts, golf courses, castles and spectacular scenery, which has attracted large numbers of visitors for hundreds of years. The region provides a good balance of winter and summer tourism opportunities. Famous Austrian and Swiss ski regions are also easily reachable from Memmingen Airport.
- But Allgäu is not only famous for the activities and its culture – the catchment area also offers a prosperous economic region – the earnings per capita income in the region are 20% higher than the all German average income.
- Since April 2009 Ryanair took the Bavarian Alps Airport into its network flying from different destinations to the Allgäu. Wizz Air is the partner for the Eastern Europe market. The airline operates to Kyvi and Belgrade (Serbia).
- But there is still a huge potential for expansion. Eastern Europe, the Benelux countries and Scandinavia are still underserved, even the UK market offers more possibilities. Cities like Vienna, Paris, Madrid and Rome are typical desirable destinations.
Marketing and other support
FMM supports new routes; the listing will give a short extract.
- Joint events with airlines and tour operators targeting the travel trade/corporate sector/press
- Flight opening press conference
- Periodical press releases
- Regular newsletter to customer and travel agencies
- Advertisement in co-operation with the partner in the catchment area of FMM (newspaper, radio etc.)
- Close co-operation with local tourist board, Chamber of Commerce and business development authorities.
- Information concerning the new route and the new partner in the airport timetable and the airport magazine.
- Banner at the airport website during start-up period.
- Promoting flights and carrier at trade shows and fairs.
- Allgäu airport serves one of Europe’s most heavily populated, affluent and actively industrial regions. Within 2 hours drive 11.7 million people live in our catchment area.
|Memmingen – Munich||120 km|
|Memmingen – Ulm||60 km|
|Memmingen – Augsburg||95 km|
|Memmingen – Kempten||35 km|
|Memmingen – Stuttgart||155 km|
|Memmingen – Bregenz||75 km|
|Memmingen Feldkirch||110 km|
Under-served freight opportunities and other economic impact factors
Please contact us for more information on freight opportunities
Infrastructure & Operations:
- IATA: FMM
- ICA: EDJA
- Operating hours
- 06.00 – 22.00 Lcl
- 22.00 – 23.00 Lcl PPR
- Terminal with 7 gates
- Location: 2.37 NM (4.4km) 090° from the city of Memmingen
- Runway: 2.981m length
Important infrastructure developments and/or other news
- New Express coach connection to Munich and Augsburg from and to Allgäu Airport; Ulm is planned
- Bookings and current journey times: www.allgäu-airport-express.de
- Transfer to your desired destination: www.steber-tours.de/transfer
- Infrastructure in the passenger terminal:
- different travel agents, ticket and information counter, car rental counters, the bistro caffé blu and a snack bar with a typical Bavarian beer garden after the security check, a playground in the outside area, the Travel Value Shop and a business lounge for business travellers flying with business jets
- Real Estate at the Airport:
- Allgäu Airport offers unusual commercial premises and premises for innovative companies looking for a special site. The former military buildings of Allgäu Airport are ideally suitable for a prestigious office or a large storage area with unique flair.
- Contact: email@example.com
- 764,782 in 2011
- 960,000 predicted for 2012