Other major reasons to serve this airport
- Well known tourist destination with a complete offer of beaches, leisure and culture.
- There are 200 kilometres of coastline known as the Costa Blanca in Alicante province. There are 59 beaches in Alicante which have the blue flag distinction.
- The most important festival, the Bonfires of Saint John, takes place during the Summer solstice.
- The Costa Blanca has become one of the favorite golf destinations for lovers of the sport thanks to the variety and quality of facilities. There are 16 golf courses in Alicante.
- Alicante is one of the fastest-growing cities in Spain.
- Important second residence location for European tourism.
- Catchment area of 5.3 million population.
- 1,133 lodgings/hotels in Alicante region.
- Various private companies have rewarded the airport’s work:
- Alicante-Elche airport received the City of Benidorm Tourism Award in 2014;
- Jet2.com rewarded Alicante-Elche Airport in 2012 for its contribution to safety in all operational processes;
- Alicante-Elche Airport’s new terminal received an award to the best public works of the province in 2011;
- Alicante-Elche Airport received an award in 2011 for the maintenance of AENOR certification in environmental management systems and quality;
- Alicante-Elche Airport collected the award “Anticipated 2010” in the category of companies and institutions for their work on prevention of occupational hazards in their facilities.
Marketing and other support
Aena offers airlines an extensive range of incentives. See the new incentive that Aena offers airlines in 2017 and discover which one suits your type of operation best:
- For increasing number of passengers on a route
- Off-peak days;
- Connecting flights;
- Freight: is exempted of cargo charge from the 5 July 2014;
- The Spanish Governement has approved an 11% reduction in all the airport charges in the period 2017-2021 (2.2% annually). It will be effective as of 1 March 2017.
The conditions of the Aena Incentive scheme and PR support are according to the wording included in the legislation in force. For more information please visit: http://www.aena.es/en/airlines/incentives.html
Aena collaborates on an ongoing basis with airlines on aspects such as organising events relating to first flights, advertising in media belonging to Aena, press releases, publicity on social networks, information to travel agencies associations etc. All of this is geared towards achieving greater visibility and publicity for the launch of new routes or new bases.
For more information please visit: http://www.aena.es/en/airlines/promotional-marketing.html
Potential cooperation from the Spanish Tourism Board (Tourspain): firstname.lastname@example.org
Market information: statistics and market analysis on request at email@example.com
- 30-minute catchment: 1,343,579;
- 60-minute catchment: 2,863,211;
- 120-minute catchment: 5,330,229.
Under-served freight opportunities and other economic impact factors
- Alicante-Elche Airport is located eight kilometres to the south-west of the capital, in the municipality of Elche.
- Airport access is via the A-7 and N-332. The distance between the urban centre of Alicante and the turn-off for the airport is eight kilometres.
- Several bus lines connect the airport with the centre of Alicante, the towns of Torrellano, Elche, Benidorm, Calpe, Santa Pola, Guardamar and Torrevieja, and the city of Murcia.
- Alicante-Airport, Line C6 (connection with regional rail network TRAM).
- Elche-Airport-Arenales del Sol, Line 1B.
- Elche-Airport, Line 1A.
- Benidorm-Airport line.
- Murcia-Airport line.
- Torrevieja-Airport line.
- Santa Pola-Airport line.
- Alicante-Elche Airport is connected by the C-6 bus route to the different train-tram and tram routes of Alicante’s TRAM Metropolitano, linking the city centre with towns on the Costa Blanca, including El Campello, La Vila Joiosa, Benidorm, L’Alfàs del Pi, Altea, Calp, Benissa, Gata, Teulada and Denia.
Infrastructure & Operations
- Runways: One runway (3,000m).
- Slot Coordinated: Coordinated.
- Operating hours: 24 hours.
- Terminals: One.
Important infrastructure developments and/or other news
For more Alicante regional information go to:
- Valencia Tourist Agency
- Costa Blanca Provincial Tourist Board
- Elche Town Hall
- Alicante Town Hall
- Tourism in Spain
- Passengers (commercial): 1.3m domestic passengers; 11m international passengers.
- Air transport movements: 96% scheduled flights; 4% charter flights.
- Freight: 5,461 tonnes.
- Largest carriers (Top five): Ryanair, easyJet, Vueling, Norwegian and Jet2.com.