New route possibilities
Antalya Gazipasa Airport in Alanya is a new secondary and low cost airport of Antalya. It started to operate by July 2009 and has been serving EU & Scandinavian countries such as Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Finland and Lithuania since 2011. The airport has been served by Transavia.com, Corendon Airlines, Tailwind Airlines, SAS, Jettime, Thomas Cook Scandinavia, Sunexpress, Small Planet. Pegasus Airlines, Onur Air and Anadolujet also inaugurated domestic services. We await the charter services of Finnair and TUIfly Nordic within Summer 2014.
All other major European/Russian & CIS destinations are likely to have a promising start. There is a large Russian and British resident and retirement community in Alanya, so new routes to Russia and UK will have some regular demand apart from summer vacation traffic.
Major reasons to serve this airport
- Located on a peninsula which is bordered by the Taurus Mountains in the north and the Mediterranean Sea on the south, Alanya is a giant resort which hosts over a million tourists each year and has recently become the most serious contender for tourism among Turkey’s southern resorts such as Bodrum, Çesme and Antalya. Only 135 km east of the Antalya, it stretches along a 70-km coastline nestled against the Taurus range.
- The tourism industry, worth about €1.5 billion annually, is the leading industry in Alanya. Especially in the last 10 years, hotels have raced to accommodate the influx of tourists (there were 157,000 hotel beds in the city in 2012). Many tourists, especially Scandinavians, Germans, Russians, and Dutch, regularly vacation in Alanya during the spring and summer months, drawn to the region by property prices, warm weather, long beaches, access to Antalya’s historic sites, and fine cuisine.
Monthly distribution of foreign visitors in Antalya*
*Number of foreign visitors in Antalya
European Residents Second Homes in Alanya:
In line with the tourism industry, the housing industry in the city has become highly profitable with many new private homes and condominiums built for European and Asian part-time residents, thanks to the provisional elimination of restrictions on land purchases by non-nationals. 69% of homes purchased by foreign nationals in the Antalya Province and 29.9% in all of Turkey are in Alanya.
Sports events in Alanya
Besides its natural beauties, Alanya is well-known for its festivals and sports events. An anual triathlon, part of the International Triathlon Union series, has been held every October since 1990. Alanya is also the regular host of The Turkish Open, part of the Nestea European Beach Volleyball championship tour, which takes place in May. In 2007, the Turkish Volleyball Federation persuaded the European Volleyball Confederation to build a beach volleyball training facility in Alanya, and make it the exclusive “centre of beach volleyball in Europe”. The city is also a frequent host to national events, such as the annual beach handball tournament, and the finish of the seven-day Presidential Cycling Tour of Turkey. Other cycling events include the Alanya International Mountain Bike Race. Additionally, the European Cycling Union will have its 2010 European road cycling championship and 2010 ordinary congress meeting in Alanya.
Thanks to the city’s seaside many festivals are organised through the summer period. These include the Tourism and Art Festival, which marks the opening of the season from at the end of May or beginning of June. The Alanya International Culture and Art Festival is then held in the first week of October at the close of the season. Other regular festivals include the Alanya Jazz Days, which has been held since 2002 in September or October at the Kizil Kule, which is otherwise home to the municipal ethnographic museum.
Marketing and other support
Please download the Alanya Gazipasa brochure for more information.
Airport Catchment area
- (30 min, 1 hour, 2 hours)
- 30 min: 200.000
- 1 hour: 450.000
- 2 hours: 650.000
- 20 minutes to city centre
- Available modes of transportation: Bus, taxi
- Nearby cities:
- Antalya: 180km/2.5 hour
- Alanya: 40km/40 min
- Serik:140km/2 hour
- Manavgat: 100km/1.5 hour
- Anamur: 80km/1.2 hour
Under-served freight opportunities and other economic impact factors
The new airport is seen as a major boost to the province’s economy – essentially because of the $1bn+ tourism and real estate business, although there is also a significant agricultural hinterland growing produce year-round for Northern European supermarkets.
Infrastructure & Operations:
- Runway dimensions: 1 runway
- Length: 2000m.
- Width: 45m.
- Slot Coordinated: No
- Operating hours: 24/7
- Terminals: 1 terminal, mixed use
- Parking Stands: Capacity to be enhanced from 3 to 6 medium size passenger jets in 2014.
|Antalya Gazipasa Airport (GZP)||2012||2013||Change|
|GZP Freight (tonnes)||29||964||993||1,002||3,208||4,210||3355%||233%||324%|
|Data Source: www.dhmi.gov.tr|