Other major reasons to serve this airport
- Main gateway to the Azores for air and passenger freight.
- An emerging destination.
- Competitive airport charges (lower than average airport charges).
- International sports event destination.
- Mild climate throughout the year.
- Top destination for whale and dolphin watching, with a unique breathtaking experience of volcanic landscapes and flora – “The best place to feel nature.”
- Azores was given the title of being the first destination to receive the Quality Coast Platinum Award.
- Given international awards thanks to its unique ecosystem and strong cultural identity.
Marketing/ and other support
- Ponta Delgada Airport is available to promote marketing initiatives and provide all the support airlines may need. The airport has co-investment marketing funds to support new business opportunities and unserved routes.
- There is also strong support from the tourism authority.
Airport Catchment area
- The total catchment area of Ponta Delgada Airport is the entire population of the Azores which is close to 250,000 inhabitants.
- The distance varies throughout the catchment, from between 30 minutes (Ponta Delgada – S. Maria) and 90 minutes (Ponta Delgada – Flores).
Under-served freight opportunities and other economic impact factors
- For further information on freight opportunities please contact the airport.
- Situated in the Atlantic Ocean, Ponta Delgada Airport has a strategic location between Europe and North America.
- Ponta Delgada Airport is situated in the town of Ponta Delgada on the island of São Miguel, the largest island in the Azores.
- Ponta Delgada is a 3-kilometre distance from the centre of town.
Infrastructure & Operations
- Ponta Delgada Airport ensures secure services, fast and efficient, with a focus on the needs and expectations of every client.
- Ponta Delgada is a modern airport designed to deliver first class operational facilities for both airlines and passengers.
Operational & Technical data
- Operational hours: 06:00-24:00.
- Slot coordinated: Yes.
- Medium temprature: 23°C summer/ 15°C winter.
- Runway: One – 12/30.
- Runway length: 2,353 metres/7,700 ft.
- Taxiway width: 23 metres/75 ft.
- ILS: CAT I.
- Aircraft stands: 16 (up to 747).
- Passengers per hour (departures & arrivals): 1,262 (642:620).
- Movements per hour (departures & arrivals): 14 (six:eight).
- ICAO cat: 4E.
- Apron PCN: 70RBWT.
- Firefighting: CAT 7 until CAT 9/FAA index E.
- Total passengers: 1.27 million – a growth of 29.5% when compared to 2014.
- Aircraft movements: 13,400 – a growth of 15% when compared to 2014.
- Passenger split by airline: Scheduled (73%); LCC (25%); Charter (2%).
- Home-based airlines: Azores Airlines and Ryanair.
- 28 non-stop destinations and 12 airlines serving Ponta Delgada Airport.
Passenger profile (2015)
- Inbound: 53%
- Outbound : 29%
- Transfer: 13%
- Multi-destination: 5%
- Male/Female split: 45%:55%
- Passenger purpose of travel: Leisure: 41%; VFR: 31%; Business 28%.
- Age: 18-24: 8% | 25-34: 23% | 35-44: 33% | 45-54: 23% | 55-64: 7% | >65: 6%.
- Airport charges: Regulated Charges Guide 2016.