Major reasons to serve this airport
- Complete refurbishment and large-scale airport expansion in 2013 provide a modern international airport with a large shopping area, exclusive lounge and dining areas (re-modernized in 2016/2017) and a well-functioning terminal with a pleasant atmosphere.
- We offer free parking to the benefit of your customers – with over 5.500 free parking spaces in 2017. Moreover, Direct Parking is located a few meters from the terminal at a low cost, which accommodates frequent business travelers.
- We have experienced one of the largest growth rates among all major Nordic airports in the past eight years, and we are the fastest growing Danish airport. In 2016, more than 1.520.000 passengers traveled through Aalborg Airport, which is a 45 percent increase since 2008.
- Excellent weather conditions minimize delays.
- De-icings are done directly on flight stand to minimize delays.
The city of Aalborg
- Aalborg is a prosperous region with a high GDP and a thriving commercial sector.
- The city also counts as a major university center with more than 20.500 students enrolled in 2017. Among these, 3.100 are international students from all over the world – naturally creating a demand for good flight connections to and from Aalborg.
- Aalborg is Denmark’s second most visited tourist destination right behind Copenhagen. A new incoming travel agency is established in 2017 – with the purpose of enticing tourists from all over the world to visit North Jutland.
Marketing and other support
- Our determined goal is to establish a long, successful partnership with the airlines. We aim for the long-term profitability of the route. The level of our participation in ensuring a route’s success is always up for discussion.
- Flight event (B2C and B2B): Every new route is accompanied by a gate event for passengers. This includes festive activities at the gate for departing and arriving passengers on their first flight. VIP event for airline representatives.
- Exclusivity and frequent flyers: We offer special VIP treatment for your frequent-flyer passengers – your travelers can be offered a VIP parking space, just outside the terminal. Furthermore, our exclusive lounge area is located on the first floor, where the passengers can relax in cozy surroundings with free food, snacks, beverages and drinks of any kind.
- Media exposure at Aalborg Airport: In collaboration with Aalborg Airport, the new destination will be advertised on TV, outdoors at attractive locations and through various online media platforms, such as social media (50.000+ regular followers), newsletter (23.000 followers) and home page (1.200.000 visitors a year). Moreover, online and offline media will be utilized for brand exposure to create public awareness.
- Co-advertising: Marketing support to create public awareness: co-branded or individually branded. Possibility of cross-marketing and/or co-promotion.
- Campaign strategy at start-up: Airline-branded marketing support to create public awareness focused on introducing the airline into the new market.
- PR activities: Press releases will be written continuously and distributed to relevant media. We have a near 100% success rate on our PR initiatives. Possibility of press conferences targeted at the Danish media.
- Support to new destinations: Incentive programs can be discussed in confidentiality.
Airport Catchment area
The airport is ideally situated near the motorway E45 and only 6 kilometers from Jutland’s second largest city, Aalborg. Although all airports in Jutland have a potential uptake from the entire region of Jutland, Aalborg Airport offers some unique features:
- Free car parking (only at Aalborg Airport)
- Ideal location close to the E45 motorway and national train line (direct train link implemented in 2020)
- Jutland’s two largest cities Aalborg and Aarhus are a 5 minutes and 1 hour drive away respectively
- The close proximity to the city of Aalborg makes the use of public transportation easy – with buses every 15 minutes back and forth.
Aalborg Airport offers the unique competitive advantage of attracting passengers from much further away than its other competing airports would.
From anywhere in Jutland (population approximating 2.6 million), Aalborg Airport can be reached within a maximum of 2½ hours. The rapid growth observed in the past years is attributable to a very high demand for direct traffic out of Aalborg, increasing levels of business in the surrounding area and to an intensified marketing effort, which is pulling passengers from Aarhus (the second-largest city in Denmark) and also the region south of central Jutland. This is a demand, which airlines like Norwegian and Air France/KLM have successfully exploited.
Under-served freight opportunities and other economic impact factors
The airport is seen as a major boost to the province’s economy – essentially because of the $1bn+ tourism and real estate business, although there is also a significant agricultural hinterland growing produce year-round for Northern European supermarkets.
Aalborg Airport is situated 6 kilometers outside Aalborg City Centre. It is the only major Danish airport offering free parking, a major unique selling point in attracting passengers for international flights.
Aalborg Airport is at the heart of the European motorway E45. In addition to free parking, the airport terminal is served by an extensive network of buses and taxis. The major national train line is only one bus stop away, ensuring easy access via trains from north and south. In 2020, the national train line will be directly linked to the airport with a platform merely 100 meters from the main entrance.
Aalborg Airport is the primary gateway to the lovely Northern part of Denmark with Skagen and the Northwestern beaches and coastline. This part of Denmark sees the second largest annual amount of tourists after Copenhagen and is a major industrial area. The typical family in North and Central Jutland has a very high disposable income for general spending compared with other regions.
Infrastructure & Operations:
- Runways: 2 with a lenght of 2,650 meters
- Navigation: LLZ, GP, DME VOR/DME, TACAN, ILS CAT II
- Fire & Rescue: RFF/CFR cat 7
- 9 aircraft stands along terminal accessible up to A321/B747
- 6 Remote flight parking accessible up to A340/B747
- 8 check-in desks – check-in mainly automated.
- 10 self-service check-in machines
- 3 automatic self-service baggage drop
- Each baggage-tag carries RFID tracking of baggage, minimizing lost luggage issues.
- Aalborg Airport is a designated schedule facilitated airport. This is performed by ACL.
- Operating hours: 24
- Terminals: 1 combined international and domestic terminal with 11 gates.
- 600 kvm shopping area, exclusive lounge facilities and Fast Track
- Minimum connection time: 45min
- 1.52 million passengers in 2016. 2017 forecast: 1.57 million passengers
- Aalborg Airport has experienced a 45 percent growth since 2008.
- Airlines: Norwegian, SAS, KLM, Atlantic Airways, Thomas Cook Airlines, Vueling, British Airways, Jet Time, SunExpress and Primera Air.
- Charter: Spies, TUI, Apollo, Bravo Tours, Sun Tours, Scanway, Falk Lauritsen, Nazar, Århus Charter, Best Travel, Nilles Rejser, Gislev Rejser, Detur, Højmark etcetera.
- Largest carriers: SAS and Norwegian
Existing charter destinations
Antalya/Alanya, Bodrum, Cyprus, the Virgin Islands, Fuerteventura, Garda Lake, Gazipasa, Golden Sands, Gran Canaria, Kenya, Corfu, Creté, La Gomera, Madeira, Palma De Mallorca, Malta, Marmaris, Menorca, Phuket, Rhodes, Sorrento, Sunny Beach, Symi, Tenerife, Tilos, Toscany and Zakynthos.