Hamburg Airport (HAM/EDDH)
New routes and frequency possibilities and why these routes would work
|Annual market size HAM-BKK: 71,000. Largest unserved market from HAM catchment (market with strong growth rates).|
|Annual market size HAM-MIA: 45,000 (40% growth over the last 5 years).|
|Annual market size HAM-SIN: 40,000. Reason for travel: 56% business (Hamburg Airport Passenger Survey).|
|Annual market size HAM-HKG: 36,000. Reason for travel: 40% business (Hamburg Airport Passenger Survey).|
|Annual market size HAM-CHI: 27,000. Reason for travel: 43% business (Hamburg Airport Passenger Survey).|
|Annual market size HAM ATH: 41,000. One of Europe's largest offline markets.|
|Annual market size HAM-OTP: 30,000 (40% growth over the last 5 years). Reason for travel: 49% business (Hamburg Airport Passenger Survey).|
|Annual market size HAM-LYS: 23,000. Reason for travel: 30% business (Hamburg Airport Passenger Survey).|
|Annual market size HAM-OPO: 19,500.|
|Annual market size HAM-SOF: 19,000. Reason for travel: 34% business (Hamburg Airport Passenger Survey).|
Other major reasons to serve this airport
- Hamburg is Germany’s wealthiest city. It has the nation’s highest GDP per capita and very strong purchasing power.
- Hamburg Airport has a healthy mix of business and leisure passengers (40 % business traffic).
- Hamburg is home to many blue chips companies and world-famous brands.
- Hamburg is one of the three leading locations in the global aviation industry and home to Europe’s second-largest container port.
- Hamburg is in the top 10 rank of European tourist destinations and shows the highest growth rate in Europe for the last ten years (10 million overnight stays in 2012).
Marketing and other support
HAM supports new routes with an incentive programme to reduce airline start-up cost such as landing, take off and positioning charges. On existing routes, Hamburg Airport rewards market growth with the Route Growth Incentive Scheme (SWP).
Further, HAM’s marketing division supports airlines with
- Airline news, editorials and advertising in Hamburg Airport publications and direct mailings
- On-site advertising and promotions
- Promoting flights and carrier at trade shows and fairs
- Joint events with airlines and tour operators targeting the travel trade/the corporates/the press
- Advertising in local media (e.g. radio spots)
- Close co-operations with local tourist board, Chamber of Commerce and business development authorities
Hamburg is Germany’s 2nd largest city – with a population of approx. 1.8 million - three times the size of Frankfurt!
- Hamburg is Germany’s 2nd largest city – with a population of approx. 1.8 million - three times the size of Frankfurt!
- With 5 million people in the metropolitan area Hamburg is Europe’s largest non-capital city.
- HAM’s catchment area includes the southern parts of Denmark.
- Approx.160,000 Hamburg based companies registered with the Chamber of Commerce. There are about 4,000 international companies, including: 600 from Asia (440 from China), 100 from the U.S. and 100 from Eastern Europe and Russia.
- Trade, transport and media are the most important business segments.
- Hamburg Airport is THE airport for northern Germany.
- It is located just 8 kilometers north of the city center.
- The airport has direct links to the main motorways to the north and south and to Germany’s capital, Berlin.
- HAM has an S-Bahn (suburban rail network) connection, which takes you to Hamburg’s central station in just 25 minutes.
Infrastructure & Operations:
- Runways: Two IFR equipped/ full ILS CAT II and IIIb runways of 3,250 meters and 3,666 meters, for operations by commercial aircraft up to 747 and A380.
- Schedule facilitated (level 2), no slot constraints
- 40 gates for departing passengers, 53 aircraft stands
- Operating hours: 06:00 – 23:00 (late arrivals until midnight)
- Min. connect time: 35 min
- 2 terminals offer a total of 120 check-in counters
Important infrastructure developments and/or other news
- Winner of the renowned Skytrax World Award as “Best Non-Hub Airport” for 2011 and 2012
- Winner of the ACI Europe Best Airport Award in the 10-25 million passenger category in 2012
- Highly commended in European Routes Marketing Awards in 2011 and 2012 as well as in the World Routes Marketing Award 2012
- Total pax 2012: 13.7 million (+ 0.1% vs. 2011)
- Aircraft movements: 153,000
- Average load factor over all routes: 73.3%
- Pax/movement: 100.4
- MTOM/movement: 59.2
- Freight: 65,000 tons
- Largest carriers: Lufthansa, Air Berlin