Bahrain International Airport (BAH)
New routes and frequency possibilities and why these routes would work
Other Major reasons to serve this airport
- In 2008 a total of 8.9 million Passengers travelled through Bahrain international Airport a growth of 21% over 2007.
- Bahrain International Airport has been successively named the second best in the Middle East in an international survey of 8.2 million passengers worldwide conducted by Skytrax. The London-based aviation research firm, Skytrax, conducted the survey between August 2007 and May 2009, among passengers from 97 countries.
- The marketing programmes jointly run with airlines have been recognised in the industry and were awarded the OAG-Routes Best marketing campaign Award for Middle East & CIS region in 2008.
- Centrally located within the GCC with air, road and sea access.
- Over 300 million people within two hours flying time.
- The airport is only 15 minutes away from over 350 banks and financial companies located in downtown Manama, the capital of Bahrain.
- Highest frequency of service to the surrounding region - Gulf countries, Iran, Jordan, Syria, Lebanon, Egypt, Yemen and UAE.
- Major base for the US Navy’s 5th Fleet
- Within 60 minutes from the largest Oil and Petrochemicals complex in the Middle East
Marketing and other support
- BIA would support any new route to the airport with a three- year incentive scheme to reduce airline start-up costs.
- Discount on airport and handling charges for the first two years of operation.
- PR support: inaugural flights and activities for press, passengers and VIPs, etc
- Marketing support: to fund promotional campaigns.
- Marketing support: special joint promotional campaign with Bahrain Airport Services (Ground handling company), Bahrain Duty Free Shop and BAPCO (fuelling)
- Market information: statistics and market analysis on request.
- 30 min catchment area : Population of nearly 1.5 million
- 60 min catchment area : 4 million
- 120 min catchment area : 6 million
Under-served freight opportunities and other economic impact factors
- Proximity to major industrial and oil related activities of the Eastern Province of Saudi Arabia and Northern Gulf.
- Inter-modal (Sea/Air) centre, new Hidd industrial free zone and Shaikh Khalifa bin Salman Super-port within 5 Kms.
- DHL operate extensive air and trucking services with 17 Bahrain-based freighter aircraft between Bahrain, Middle East, Iraq, Afghanistan, Europe and USA.
- Major cargo operators and freight forwarders include British Airways, Lufthansa, Martin air, Air France.
- Freight opportunities: BIA has the following advantages Efficient Airport Operations, excellent connectivity from and to the airport – land, sea, air and a liberalised customs regime.
- Local geography:
- BAH is 4km from the city centre of Bahrain.
- BAH is 40km from the Eastern province of Saudi Arabia.
Infrastructure & Operations
- Runways: Single Runway 3,956 metres
- No slot restrictions during off peak hours.
- Operating hours: 24 hours operation
- Terminals: One terminal with a capacity of 10 million, extensively re-modelled in 1994.
- Other relevant infrastructure and operations details: Runway upgraded in 2007 to accommodate A380.
Important infrastructure developments and/or other news
- Future plans include a major US$350m expansion of the terminal building to the east to provide eight additional air bridges and additional aircraft parking stands raising the airport capacity initially to 15m per annum by 2015 with provision for a second phase expansion increasing capacity to 22m by 2020.
- New check-in desks (doubling the current number), additional shopping facilities as well as an increased baggage make-up (doubling the size of the existing area) and separate baggage reclaim area together with a distinctive new façade are all included in the initial design.
- Plans for a new US $70m multi-storey car park project that would not only provide additional parking but also provide offices and retail areas linked to the main terminal building are also being finalised.
- Total Passenger 2008: 8.8m International scheduled (20% growth).
- Freight: 380,000 tonnes (6% growth)
- Largest carrier: Gulf Air
- Airport Statistics: http://www.caa.gov.bh/statistics_2008.htm