Aeroporto delle Marche (Ancona Airport) (AOI/LIPY)
New routes and frequency possibilities and why these routes would work
|Indirect traffic: 33,668 incl. 38% business. Historical data (2007) for MXP (thrice-daily services): 86,694 passengers. By car: 5h.|
|Unserved route. Important hub to all major cities, short and long haul. VCE reachable only by car 4h 30'.|
|Lamezia Terme (SUF)|
|Indirect annual traffic via FCO: 7,500. Highly desired by local businesses (almost 300,000 companies in the catchment area).|
|European Routes||Non-EU Routes|
|Paris CDG (CDG)||Moscow (MOW)|
|Indirect traffic to France: 21,857. In 2011, 28,784 tourists from France to the Marche region. Thrice-weekly frequencies desired (business and leisure traffic).||Indirect traffic to Russia: 38,449. In 2011, 16,604 tourists from Russia to the Marche region.|
|Berlin (BER)||Casablanca (CMN)|
|Traffic to Germany: 123,634 (incl. 13,634 to BER). In 2011, 66,760 tourists from Germany to the Marche region.||Strong and solid Moroccan community in the catchment area: almost 30,000 residents.|
|Manchester (MAN)||Tusnis (TUN)|
|Traffic to the UK: 121,051. Historical data (2007) MAN: 27,013.||Indirect traffic to Tunisia: 7,974. 18,000 Tunisian residents in the catchment area.|
|Oslo (OSL)||Istanbul (IST)|
|Traffic to Scandinavia: 37,307.||Indirect traffic to Istanbul: 8,570. No services to Istanbul along the Adriatic Coast south of BLQ.|
|Barcelona (BCN)||North America|
|Traffic to Spain: 72.254. In 2011: more than 26,000 passengers AOI-BCN.||Indirect traffic: 28,175.|
|Warsaw (WAW), Kraków (KRK)||Central America & Caribbean|
|Polish citizens in the catchment area: 10,090. In 2011, 15,471 tourists from Poland to the Marche region. Every year more than 36,000 pilgrims travel between Loreto and Czestochowa Sanctuary in southern Poland.||Indirect traffic: 12,000.|
|Prague (PRG)||South America|
|Indirect traffic: 12,527. In 2011, 17,332 tourists from Czech Republic to the Marche region. There are no direct flights to PRG among the Italian Adriatic Coast (from VCE to BRI – 800 km).||Indirect traffic: 20,701.|
|Indirect traffic in 2011: 37,656 via Weeze (NRN) and 52,454 via Brussels Charleroi (CRL). 33,921 tourist arrivals from the Netherlands to the Marche region in 2011.|
Other major reasons to serve this airport
- Competitive fees, charges, incentives, including extra handling services
- 24/7 operation with no restrictions
- The region’s only airport with new facilities
- Wealthy freight market, ranking 12th among Italian airports and fifth in terms of growth dynamics
- Marche is a fast-growing tourism region: 2.6 million arrivals in 2011 (+3,98% compared to 2010), and 16,974,828 stays (+0,85% compared to 2010)
- Fast-growing inbound market, thanks to a strong internationalization program carried out by local authorities and businesses
- Large under-served market, strategically located in the heart of the country with a very efficient surface transportation network
Marketing and other support
AOI offers a wide range of support to airline partners: market analysis and statistics upon request.
Our marketing policy includes:
- Website banner
- Press conference and media coverage
- Newspaper and magazine ads
- Flyer distribution
- Promotion during all airport events
- Newsletter sent to corporations, customers and travel agencies
According to our traffic policy, the following incentive schemes will be offered to all airlines planning to start new routes from AOI:
- Discount on ground handling fares
- Contribution per adult departing passenger
We also have a really useful and interesting tourism guide, which includes events, accommodation, and a wide variety of solutions to satisfy all kinds of needs.
Ancona Airport's catchment area includes the Marche region and part of the neighbouring regions: Abruzzo, Umbria and Romagna.
Population approx: 2.6 million people within 90 minutes car journey from Ancona Airport.
Under-served freight opportunities and other economic impact factors
Fast growth in 2011:
- 12th for handled freight tonnes among Italian airports
- Fifth for percentage of growth among Italian airports
- Total cargo import: 3,094 tonnes
- Total cargo export: 3,198 tonnes
Location: strategically located in the centre of Italy, close to the railway, the harbour and the intermodal freight site, and directly connected to the A14 Bologna-Bari motorway.
High quality of services:
- Logistic area with direct access to the apron
- Customs operating 24/7
- Short and easy operations in accepting and delivering goods
- Air Cargo Centre Space: 8,000 sq m
- Fully equipped to handle any kind of freighter aircraft.
Wealthy freight market: AOI catchment area includes 2.6 million inhabitants and 300,000 businesses – an average of 11 companies per 100 inhabitants. There are several industrial hubs focused on shoes and leather, fashion, appliances and furnishings.
AOI is strategically located halfway down the Adriatic coast and easily reached:
- By car: direct connection (2 km) to the highway A14 (Bologna-Taranto) and the main road that runs along the Adriatic coast.
- By bus: connections to downtown Ancona every hour;
- By train: railway station is in front of the departure terminal with frequent connections to the central station of Ancona (18 km away), from which frequent trains depart daily to major Italian cities;
- By sea: Ancona harbour (20 km away) is an important gateway to Italy with daily links to Greece, Albania and Croatia. During the summer season, Costa and MSC Cruises offer weekly departures on the highly popular Mediterranean tour.
Infrastructure & Operations:
- Runway: 2,965m long and 45m wide
- Orientation: 04/22
- ICAO 4E
- Surface: about 55,000 sq. m
- Parking stand: 14
- Slot Coordinated: No
- Operating hours: 24/7
- Min. turnaround time: 25 minutes
- Able to handle all types of aircraft
New terminal facility was opened in 2004, and includes two modern and efficient buildings (arrivals and departures).
Important infrastructure developments and/or other news
Retail area is scheduled to open in 2014 and will connect the two terminals:
- 3,580 sq. m for retail
- 1.300 sq. m for F&B
In total, 18 F&B and retail outlets will be created.
Traffic data 2011 vs. 2010
- Passengers: 610,525 (+17.3%), including 38% business and 37% leisure.
- Flight Movements: 15,995 (+4.9%).
- Import: 3,094 tonnes
- Export: 3,198 tonnes
- Largest carriers: Alitalia, Lufthansa, Ryanair, Carpatair, Belle Air.